PDA

View Full Version : Xanthorrhoea preissii (Black Boy)

Beaton
8th April 2006, 11:38 PM
Does anyone know where i can get hold of some black boy plant in the perth area, have looked at some nurseries but they want 400 to 500 for a plant 50cm tall :eek:. Have heard that people glearing bush block sometimes sell for under $100.

bsrlee
10th April 2006, 01:42 AM
I was talking to a mate about those when we saw some in a market in Subiaco - he says that most transplanted 'black boys' die in a few months out of their native soil - most of the commercial ones I have seen offered are in a cubic meter or so of soil to avoid this, but it does add to the cost.

The 'cheapies' are likely to be dug out of a Park somewhere (or someones garden) by a bloke with a ute & maybe a shovel - he gets your money & you get some dead plants.

banksiaman
10th April 2006, 09:42 AM
Beaton,

I can't answer your query (I'm in NSW) but can offer this about our Xanthorrhoea.
We got one (Queensland not WA, and from the supermarket - with appropriate tags) and put it in our rockery. It took about two years to slowly go downhill, until it literally had a couple of leaves left. Clearly not happy. We then set fire to it. Burned quite well, so I think there is quite a bit of gum in these things. Within 6-12 months it had a full head of leaves and drew quite a few comments about how good it looked. That was a few years ago and it is still going strong.
The problem now is that it has never flowered, so I think it is time to get the matches out again.

The other problem with transplanting native plants (as BSRLEE suggests) is that of the soil, or more specifically the fungi in the soil, that is associated with the plant. The plant does much better with it's specific type of fungi, and you should take as much soil with the plant as possible to ensure you transplant the fungi as well as the plant.

My 2.2c worth. They are a beautiful plant so I hope you get what you want.

Chris

vsquizz
14th April 2006, 01:50 AM
Beaton, I'm in HH like you. We frequently transplant blackb.....errr...Grass Trees:D . 400 to 500 is way too much. As part of the permit system grass trees will be sold off from new developments, commonly for 150 to 250 depending on size. They really are easy to transplant provided three things:

1) short period (1 day max) between removal and re-planting.

2) same soil type

3) a good haircut prior to relocating.

I some photos which I can't find at the moment but I will post when I do.

I frequently have blocks to clear which have grass trees. PM me if you wish.

vsquizz
17th April 2006, 11:31 AM
Here is one on the move

Buzzer
17th April 2006, 06:53 PM
I also have tried to transplant Grasstrees but with no success to date.
Will try the hints mentioned.

Thanks.:)

vsquizz
17th April 2006, 07:00 PM
and a shirt load of water after planting.

http://www.grasstree.com/