PDA

View Full Version : Making a chatter tool

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th April 2006, 10:08 PM
So, I'm looking at making my own chatter tool.

I'll probably use an old hack-saw or bandsaw blade, maybe a jigsaw blade. I know the tip of the working blade should be angled down about 7° but I'm not too sure about one aspect of the construction.

Most homemade & commercial ones I've seen only use a single strip for the cutter, yet a couple have been "layered & stepped" sort of along the lines of a car leaf-spring. (See pic.) Is there any particular advantage of this? The only thing I can think of is it'd make it a bit easier to adjust the springiness to suit different hardness timbers.

But that's only guessing on my part. Does anybody here have any familiarity with this?

scooter
9th April 2006, 10:35 PM
Skewy, the first design may end up fatiguing where the metal exits the handle, the layered design may spread the stress out.

Theory b Maybe just to give a stiffer action, as you say for harder timbers.

Cheers................Sean, maybe just a chattering tool :D

Gil Jones
10th April 2006, 01:46 AM
Skew,
Attached is a small file telling how to make a simple chatter tool. I have two larger, and more detailed files (of other ways to make a chatter tool) that I will send to anyone with an email address. Have fun. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th April 2006, 03:23 AM
Thanks, Gil. Oddly enough, that's exactly the way I was going to build the thing... except for the handle. I really don't like like 'em that short; give me something another foot longer every time, please. Not a matter of coinky-dink, BTW... I saw the same doc only a week or two ago and it's the one that stuck in my head for ease of build. At the time I didn't bother bookmarking it, not knowing it'd become a project, but now I don't have to. :D

Scooter, I think you've put your finger on it. Good thinking!

Gil Jones
10th April 2006, 12:01 PM
I think Scooter is correct, and the fatigue problem could be assuaged somewhat if one were to radius and polish the metal edge at the holder exit point (probably top and bottom, so the tool could be used in either position, if it had two set screw holes).

Bodgy
10th April 2006, 12:45 PM
Skewy

I've looked at the pics and the Word doc and still have no idea what a chattertool is or does. Take pity on this fwit and explain, please?

hughie
10th April 2006, 12:50 PM
Hi Gil,
I would not a copy of your other designs for chatter tools. Will PM you with my email address.
thanks

hughie

Gil Jones
10th April 2006, 02:02 PM
Hughie,
Check your email, it is all heading south at a tad less than the velocity of C.
Oh, by the way, these are not my designs. I just collect this stuff for my own use, and to share with others.

JDarvall
10th April 2006, 02:15 PM
Skewy

I've looked at the pics and the Word doc and still have no idea what a chattertool is or does. Take pity on this fwit and explain, please?

Thanks for asking first. I haven't a clue either :p ...Is it some kind of tool that leaves little decrotive marks as the work spins ???? Or is it some kind of scraper ? I don't know.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th April 2006, 06:23 PM
You know when you're working away at the bottom of a bowl and the #@%$ tool starts vibrating away, leaving you with a series of %$@!! ripples that are a headache to clean up?

That's what a chatter tool does; it's a scraper that's designed to do it deliberately. :)

And yes, 'tis used for creating decorative patterns. Certainly not a "must have" tool, usually just another duct collector but it has its' moments.

Bodgy
10th April 2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks Skewy, now I know.

rsser
10th April 2006, 07:16 PM
SkewChiD ... you haven't grasped the fact that a chatter tool is designed to keep Sorby in business.

So get with the program ;-}