PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Wood Show

TEEJAY
10th April 2006, 09:00 AM
The show is 12th to the 14th May at the EKKA showground.

Looking forward to it http://www.ubeaut.biz/toothless.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/toothless.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/toothless.gif.

And I have permission from SWMBO to buy just about nothing :eek: ;) so how sneaky can I be :rolleyes: not much really - oh well - look and dream.

Hey there's always one gadget you find (in discovery) then suddenly realise you can't live without, now you know it exists.:D

RufflyRustic
10th April 2006, 09:40 AM
I am so there!! Am hoping to sneak the credit card out of HWMNBO's wallet, and stay down in Brisvegas one or two nights purely so I can meet more fellow forum members on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and maybe be around on the Sunday afternoon to snap up some of the close of show bargains.

cheers
Wendy the forum partie groupie :rolleyes:

Clinton1
10th April 2006, 09:41 AM
I shall be working. :(

Felder
10th April 2006, 10:09 AM
I shall be working. :(

Me too.......but I'm working at the show, so it's all good!:D:D

bitingmidge
10th April 2006, 10:10 AM
I'll be there.

The big disappointment I call it.

But I have my annual catch-up with my mates in the Wooden Boat Association, and the Australian Association of Musical Instrument Makers (AAMIM), and of course all of you lot, which makes it well worth the day off work, the admission price, and a few rounds of coffee!

Friday or Saturday for me... hopefully Friday! (I don't think I need to buy anything at all either)

Cheers,

P

Simomatra
10th April 2006, 10:32 AM
I will also be there but due to being off work will have to curtail my spending.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon9.gif

Look forward to catching up with some at the show

Cheers sam

Zed
10th April 2006, 11:02 AM
(I don't think I need to buy anything at all either)

LIAR!:D

TEEJAY
10th April 2006, 01:41 PM
LIAR!:D

A dead give away when you see these posts to know whose SWMBO is reading their mail.

NOOOOO I won't buy anything either :rolleyes: :D :D LOL LOL

There's always one gadget that life depends upon. ;) :)

I know I need about a dozen clock inserts from Jonathan Knowles or similar for some good ol ozzie clocks to take to the foreign relies later this year whilst on international safari.

Might get one of those stay cool blue grind wheels - are they worth while anyone - looked impressive last time for not heating the metal?

Have to make sure I wear the hat! :cool:

Saturday is shaping up to be my day - will make a big day of it as I enjoy fossicking through the trash and treasure tents full of obscure gadgets some good amongst large piles of not so good.

Bob Willson
10th April 2006, 04:22 PM
LIAR!:D You must not call biting midge a liar, he merely obliterates the truth with obfuscation.
I also hope to be there on Friday arvo.
My wife let's me buy things. :)

mic-d
10th April 2006, 04:56 PM
Gees is it that time again already:eek: I'll be there with bells on, so might catch up with some of you again. Soundman, I'm placing an order for 1/2 doz scones this year:D

Cheers
Michael

Andy Mac
10th April 2006, 04:57 PM
I should try to get there this year...how can I convince work they need to send me to Brisbane for the express purpose of researching woodworking tools..?!:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Cliff Rogers
10th April 2006, 11:04 PM
... (I don't think I need to buy anything at all either)...

Nope, you bought the coffee last year... you might like to see if you can get some muffins though. ;)

Major should see if he can remember to bring his from the kitchen bench too. :D

ele__13
10th April 2006, 11:10 PM
If worse comes to worse ill bring the coffee plunger and good coffee wiff me from bundy hehehehheh cheers jules

Cliff Rogers
10th April 2006, 11:37 PM
& you better pack a billy & some rain water, you won't need wood for the fire 'cos they have that there.
I'll bring some Mungalli Creek Milk. http://www.millaa.com/Mungalli/mungalli.htm

journeyman Mick
10th April 2006, 11:47 PM
Brendan,
Isn't there a Felder agent in Qld? I thought he was in the Gold Coast hinterland- I did speak to him about a year ago when I was looking at buying a panel saw spindle moulder combo. Not that I want to upset your junket plans, sorry work travel:D ;) . I won't be going myself unfortunately, too much work on and were planning a road trip down south in June/July.

Mick

Felder
11th April 2006, 10:17 AM
Brendan,
Isn't there a Felder agent in Qld? I thought he was in the Gold Coast hinterland- I did speak to him about a year ago when I was looking at buying a panel saw spindle moulder combo. Not that I want to upset your junket plans, sorry work travel:D ;) . I won't be going myself unfortunately, too much work on and were planning a road trip down south in June/July.

Mick

Sure is, Mick.
Felder Qld is our sister company, and we help each other out at the shows.
Coming down south June / July, eh? How far south? AWISA is on in Sydney early July......;);)

Greg Ward
11th April 2006, 01:31 PM
OK. It's time to plan
Mal from Boutique Timbers is down delivering to Sydney this week, however he will be back preparing for the Brisbane show from mid April.
He will be bringing a large range of timbers, however if you have anything in particular (rosewood, kauri pine, tas myrtle, whatever) you would like him to bring on 'spec', or if you want certain sizes, call or fax him on 0265 858296 after Easter.
regards
Greg

journeyman Mick
11th April 2006, 04:49 PM
Brendan,
won't be going as far south as Sydney, we'll be staying on the Gold Coast for a few weeks and will probably loop down to Tenterfield (SWMBO is related to the Tenterfied Saddler and still has family there),Kempsey and Armidale to visit friends. I'm pretty over wood shows, there's not a lot that I still need to buy, but it would be nice to go just to catch up with forumites.

Mick

dai sensei
11th April 2006, 06:56 PM
I had planned to be there Friday and Saturday as usual. Friday on my own and Saturday with my son. We usually stay over in Bris Friday night and make a weekend out of it.

This year will depend on my new job, so may have to make it Saturday and Sunday instead, but the good timbers would be gone by then, so might have to settle on new tools.

I'm still after a scroll saw, centre support for my lathe, and a picture framing kit. I'll just have to keep dreaming about the thicknesser, can't justify that yet.

felixe
11th April 2006, 07:12 PM
Me, I'm just going to poke around and kick some tyres, would like to go friday but probably go sunday.
On my list:
a rotary (dremel or similar) tool.
Maybe a new tenon saw.
I was thinking of the carbatec ML392 jointer/thicknesser, but I want to look at the trumpo? or whatever it is from gregmach (need to do more research). However I am flatout and may set aside the cash for a purchase next year.
Definetely want to make some contacts with some of the timber sellers.

I'm excited!!!!!

Bluegum
11th April 2006, 09:27 PM
Reckon I will be there on the sunday as I will have to work on the Saturday. been looking forwad to this for ages and hope to pick up the odd bargain. After the last one I went to and only came home with the one item my beautiful SWMBO looked in surprise and asked why I hadn't bought anything else. bring it on i say..:D :D

MajorPanic
11th April 2006, 10:33 PM
Nope, you bought the coffee last year... you might like to see if you can get some muffins though. ;)

Major should see if he can remember to bring his from the kitchen bench too. :D

Just because I've got a short term memory problem, there's no need......... hummmm, what was I gonna say here?? :confused:

Oh yeh, I'll be there!!

It'll be good to catch wif yous bunch of reprobates again! ;) http://www.ubeaut.biz/toothless.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/toothless.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/toothless.gif

MathewA
11th April 2006, 10:45 PM
I'll be lookin to make it there also

soundman
11th April 2006, 11:47 PM
I hope to be back from my trip up north in time to be there at least a couple of days.
cheers

Jim Carroll
12th April 2006, 08:43 AM
The Blond and I will be there.
This will be our first time in Brisvegas.

TEEJAY
12th April 2006, 09:07 AM
The Blond and I will be there.
This will be our first time in Brisvegas.

I took wife and son last year got there late morning and left before 2pm to get to school for the second child.

This year going with a couple of mates and going to spend all day fossicking and ferreting about looking at demos and have a big day there.

Last year got dragged away from all the great areas (you know the one's with tools) and no way could sit through a demo - but this year a long slow day of checking all the good stuff.

Better than Christmas if you pretend you can afford a lot of the stuff on sale.

RufflyRustic
12th April 2006, 09:12 AM
This is gonna be a good show, not for the show itself as that's always good, but for the forumites who are going.

Right, let's get organised - well sort of.

My suggestions:
11 am Friday, Saturday and Sunday at UBeaut's stand or at a table out in the food court? How about a 2pm time slot as well for those that can't make the morning one?

Forum Hats preferable :)

Who is staying overnight and where? I'm determined to have a 3 day break from Toowoomba so this is the *best* excuse to get away and all.

cheers
Wendy

felixe
12th April 2006, 09:05 PM
Ok, probable sunday for me (I won't know until 1 week out).
What do we bring for morning tea/afternoon tea?

RufflyRustic
12th April 2006, 10:01 PM
Ok, probable sunday for me (I won't know until 1 week out).
What do we bring for morning tea/afternoon tea?

Anything yummy so long as we don't have to buy it there :rolleyes: :)

cheers
Wendy

Jack E
12th April 2006, 11:29 PM
I will be there Saturday:D

Friday - Return from honeymoon in Thailand:D
Saturday - Wood show:D
Sunday - The long drive home to Townsville:(
Monday - Recovery day (and play with new toys from show):D
Tuesday - Return to work after one month off:mad:

Cheers, Jack

TEEJAY
13th April 2006, 12:49 PM
I will be there Saturday:D

Friday - Return from honeymoon in Thailand:D
Saturday - Wood show:D
Sunday - The long drive home to Townsville:(
Monday - Recovery day (and play with new toys from show):D
Tuesday - Return to work after one month off:mad:

Cheers, Jack

Sounds good Jack - congratulations and enjoy everyday you can for now. Are you taking new wife to woodshow?

knucklehead
14th April 2006, 10:52 AM
I am determined to get a Metabo Duo sander at the show.

Is anyone else interested in some Metabo gear?
We can join forces and haggle for a good sale price (assuming Metabo will have a stand this year).

A mate and I did this last year and got 2 cordless drills and a corded drill for a very good price.

Bob Willson
15th April 2006, 10:51 PM
What is the duo sander?
I did a search of the Metabo site, but there wern't any duos mentioned.

craigb
15th April 2006, 11:10 PM
What is the duo sander?

AFAIK Bob, it has two orbits, 6mm and 3mm. It's supposedly as good as a Festool but a bit cheaper.

I do own a Metabo but not a duo.

dan_tom
16th April 2006, 09:32 AM
Knucklehead, we bought the Metabo duo ROS late last year and I have to say it has proved itself to be my favourite tool! That and the De Walt cordless and the hitachi SCMS! Definately recommend getting one. For sanding disks, I have found Bunnings don't stock much of a range of grits and instead we get ours from Trade Tools Direct, the more you buy (in different grits too!) the cheaper the sanding pads get.

Bad news on our front... we have been looking forward to the working with wood show and a friend had the indecency to hold her wedding on May 13!!! Argh, right in the middle of the wood show. So we might only be able to come on the Sunday (full day though!). On Friday, I hope to duck down during lunch if I can, as my work is only just down the road from the RNA showgrounds!!! Tom just got a new job, which is starts on Tuesday 18th April, so hopefully he has a couple of weeks to sweet talk the new boss into giving him the day at the wood show for work purposes!!!

Otherwise, see everyone on Sunday...

Cheers
Danielle and Tom

knucklehead
16th April 2006, 10:34 AM
What is the duo sander?

Sorry should have put a link in. The Metabo website has its sanders in 2 locations.

http://www.metabo.com/metabo/com/en/produkte/discsanders/400wattelectronicdiscsandersxe450duo_6_00458_51.html

soundman
17th April 2006, 12:55 PM
The metabo duo I certainly a good value buy.
I have one and have several mates with them and there are a number of members on the board with them. I havn't heard a complaint.

I know wendy was thinking about one.

cheers

RufflyRustic
17th April 2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I want one, and I want the dust vac that Metabo does as well, and one of their drills and..... my wallet won't stretch to pay for just the duo:mad: Still, last year they had them at about $275, I think about $100 off the normal price. Soundman watched me use the demonstrator one they had there. He watched me keep using it and using it and had to drag me away :eek: :D so yes, they are *Brilliant*.

Maybe we should team up, Knucklehead and see what we can do - sounds like fun.

cheers
Wendy

journeyman Mick
17th April 2006, 02:54 PM
The metabo duo I certainly a good value buy.
I have one and have several mates with them and there are a number of members on the board with them. I havn't heard a complaint............

Actually I've got one that's 12.5 months old and has just failed:mad: Read my post in the "hand tools and Machinery" section.

A not happy Mick

Bob Willson
17th April 2006, 02:56 PM
If we can get them at a good enough price then I MAY be tempted

Bob Willson
17th April 2006, 03:20 PM
Actually I've got one that's 12.5 months old and has just failed:mad: Read my post in the "hand tools and Machinery" section.

A not happy Mick

I looked, but I can't find any recent posts. I did find one a few months old about a Metabo that was not performing quite as you wished it to. :D

Just George
17th April 2006, 04:02 PM

Ditto about working,
and ditto about working at the show...

Free entry for 3 days plus the set up on the Thursday, but I don't have to pack up on Sunday night or Monday...

journeyman Mick
17th April 2006, 04:09 PM
I looked, but I can't find any recent posts. I did find one a few months old about a Metabo that was not performing quite as you wished it to. :D

Bob,
look now, took me a little time to write the whole saga :rolleyes:

Mick