PDA

View Full Version : "the Module Has Landed!"

DPB
10th April 2006, 03:31 PM
That's what she said when I showed her this one. "Put it in your office - I don't like it." she said.

So I want your opinion. Does this work for you? It's not my design as you can see from the book cover below. It's based on Tony Lydgate's design. He calls it simply, "Box on Stilts".

The four sides and lid is Huon Pine, the legs and lid handle is Macassar Ebony. The sides are first mitred, glued up, then the tapers were cut on my table saw. The curved top was shaped on a sanding WASP. I haven't applied a finish - I don't want the colour to change, so am leaning toward a shellac finish - any suggestions?

The body of the box is 180mm high, 75mm square at the base of the box and 65mm square at the top. The overall height including the lid handle and 'stilts' is 270mm.

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/4378/smallwoodboxes2cm.jpg http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/2290/dscn4553b5ob.jpg http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/3702/dscn45486mu.jpg http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9968/dscn4556b5jg.jpg http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2567/dscn4556c6rw.jpg

Andy Mac
10th April 2006, 04:10 PM
Hi DPB,
While I like the box, and legs look great, I'm not cinvinced about the knob...too tall in my opinion. The whole thing is already very attenuated and the long knob just keeps it going, up and up and up!:rolleyes: I think Lygate's version works because of the wider looking knob, it spreads the shape horizonatlly and terminates the tall shape better. Or do I speak tripe!?!:p

Cheers,

silentC
10th April 2006, 04:19 PM
I'm not cinvinced about the knob...too tall in my opinion
To be honest that's the first thing I thought too and before I had read your comment.

Otherwise I kinda like it. I would give it a couple of coats of Neil's sanding sealer and three coats of Traditional Wax. ;)

CameronPotter
10th April 2006, 04:41 PM
I quite like it and I don't mind the concept of a tall "handle", but I reckon that it should have been wider at the base - like the Empire State Building Spire...

Cam

BobR
10th April 2006, 04:53 PM
Just to show that there are many tastes - I like it! I don't have a problem with the handle.

Termite
10th April 2006, 04:57 PM
With the right knob on top it would look fantastic in any modern home, it's a nice piece of work.
Unfortunatly with the tall handle it looks like a flash dunny brush.

Gumby
10th April 2006, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure Don. I'll reserve judgement until you bring it to the next meeting but initially the first impression was good. I think you've spoilt her :D (don't tell her I said that though ;) ) She's getting fussy 'cos of all the great stuff you've made over the years.:eek:

However, I'm wondering what you would put in a box of that shape. It's deep, but narrow. Pens maybe ?

Shedhand
10th April 2006, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure Don. I'll reserve judgement until you bring it to the next meeting but initially the first impression was good. I think you've spoilt her :D (don't tell her I said that though ;) ) She's getting fussy 'cos of all the great stuff you've made over the years.:eek:

However, I'm wondering what you would put in a box of that shape. It's deep, but narrow. Pens maybe ?Cigars or Gumby's head.:D

CameronPotter
10th April 2006, 05:17 PM
However, I'm wondering what you would put in a box of that shape. It's deep, but narrow. Pens maybe ?

Good point - how big is it? I was imagining it to be about 30 cm tall or more...

If it is only small, great - I think it would make a top desk box. If it is very big, the bottom would be relatively useless I guess?? Unless you have a use in mind.

Still, I reckon it is a top looking piece of work anyway.

Cam

Clinton1
10th April 2006, 05:21 PM
I like it, but..... :D

Actually if the legs were even thinner then I'd like it more (maybe, seeing it in the flesh is better than on a 'puter screen).

Love it or hate it, it makes you do more than give it a passing glance, so there's a win!

DPB
10th April 2006, 05:32 PM
Good point - how big is it? I was imagining it to be about 30 cm tall or more...
Cam

Cam, read the first post.:rolleyes: :)

The more I dabble in box making, the more I begin to believe this hobby is more akin to art than woodworking (not that woodworking isn't an art). If a finely crafter wooden box serves a purpose other than just being pleasing to the eye, that is a bonus, but not a necessity. Most vases are purchased as art rather than flower containers.

But, it could be an urn for ashes:D , or with the lid removed, how about dried grass and a single dried flower?
http://images.google.com.au/images?q=tbn:MDSbVG53lmlQfM:www.millercasket.com/Singleurn.jpg (http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.millercasket.com/Singleurn.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.millercasket.com/products.html&h=420&w=300&sz=28&tbnid=MDSbVG53lmlQfM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=87&hl=en&start=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3Durn%2Bstand%26start%3D100%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-03,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN)

CameronPotter
10th April 2006, 05:53 PM
Cam, read the first post.:rolleyes: :)

Ahhhh. I just read the articles I don't look at the pictures - or the other way around?!?:confused: ;)

That might make it just slightly deep for a pen box.

Do you have any plans for it or was it made for art's sake. As for Clinton's point:

Love it or hate it, it makes you do more than give it a passing glance, so there's a win!

I reckon that is about right in all respects (although nobody has said they hate it - yet... :p

ptc
10th April 2006, 05:57 PM
I wanted to give you a greenie.
but not allowed at this time.
put a slot in it for a money box.

Bodgy
10th April 2006, 06:31 PM
Really like the box and colours, but agree with the rest on the handle. Altogether too spindly. I think you need something chunky on top, same timber, but sort of mushroom like.

Can see HI's lunar module reference.

You could keep cigars in it, maybe 4 of those long cheroots that Clint Eastwood smoked in the Spag Westerns.

Auld Bassoon
10th April 2006, 06:40 PM
Hi Don,

I've read all the above comments, but I really like it.

IMO a good looking box doesn't have to be used to contain things, and this one makes an elegant statement on its own. Good stuff :)

AlexS
10th April 2006, 06:43 PM
I like it Don, but would have preferred a square tapered handle of the same proportions, rather than turned. That's just me, though.

I agree wholeheartedly with your philosophy re boxmaking.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th April 2006, 06:55 PM
Sadly, I gotta agree with Termite.

As soon as I saw it, even before reading the post, my first thought was "why would anyone go to that effort for a dunny brush?" :o

I like the shape per se, but IMHO the handle just doesn't fit.

Scally
10th April 2006, 08:03 PM
It is a pretty smart looking thing.

I bet everyone who sees it, lifts the lid.

Damb rough calling the top a dunny brush. It has more style than the fan on top of the version on the book cover.

doug the slug
10th April 2006, 08:33 PM
"why would anyone go to that effort for a dunny brush?"

Might have to make it a bit bigger if its to be a dunny brush, but i see the resembalnce:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Peter36
10th April 2006, 08:57 PM
Well I like it just the way it is . Perhaps the legs could be a little thinner , but I like the design and choice of timbers and prefer the shape over Tony Lydgate's FWIW. SWMBO just looked over my shoulder so I asked her and the reply was " I don't like it " so perhaps it's a male- feminine thing .:D
Must get that book . Where did you get your's Don OS or OZ/
Peter

zenwood
11th April 2006, 08:20 AM
AndyMac's comments are certainly worth considering. Yours is a chunkier rendition than the original, whereas the box seems to want lightness.

Yes: this box is clearly more sculptural than practical. I first saw the design a couple of years ago when I got Lydgate's book, and I do like its spacey light-heartedness.

I do love the combination of timbers. A finish using shellac or oil or wax would be great.

CameronPotter
11th April 2006, 10:29 AM
I actually like the chunkier legs... :rolleyes:

Just goes to show really doesn't it?

PhilMcCrackin
11th April 2006, 10:31 AM
I love it. Can I have it on my desk?

Hickory
11th April 2006, 11:03 AM
It is more of an art form than a utility form. SHMBO (at least Herself around here) prefers utility forms crafted for her pleasure. I assume the other side of this globe has the same likeness.

I somewhat feel the same about the finial, yet not that it is too tall but perhaps too massive in structure. A spire of deminishing diameter might draw better attention. The form you have created needs to accompany like utilitarian pieces to be appreciated. Perhaps as a portion of a Desk Set. I can see a similar In-Out tray set made of the same wood tones and dark legs, along with a Tray for pins and clips aside this , perhap pencil/pen holder.

Complete the set and see if SHMBO is better impressed.

I hate to say the number of pieces I have been ever so proudly presented to Herself and have a HoHum response or a polite "When you going to finish it?"

CameronPotter
11th April 2006, 11:52 AM
"When you going to finish it?"

Yep! I can sympathise with this!! :rolleyes:

DPB
11th April 2006, 01:10 PM
Here's a close up!:D I may make another lid with a different handle and see if this improves the look.;)

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2567/dscn4556c6rw.jpg

Harry72
11th April 2006, 04:08 PM
I dont mind it, as you said its more arty than practical.

He he, make another box the same style but larger and squater(Phat Bro!)... big enough to use that box as the handle... a box handled box!

RufflyRustic
12th April 2006, 09:49 AM
.......I hate to say the number of pieces I have been ever so proudly presented to Herself and have a HoHum response or a polite "When you going to finish it?"

At least you get words. I just get a grunt :rolleyes:

RR

Clinton1
12th April 2006, 09:55 AM
But Ruffly, a grunt be a man is on par with 3 minutes of gushing by a woman. Ya just gotta know what the grunt actually means.

CameronPotter
12th April 2006, 10:35 AM
Yep. I gotta agree with Clinton.

I often show my stuff to Mum and Dad. Mum will go way over the top and tell me how wonderful it is, but if Dad says, "Oh... I guess it is OK" that probably means that he would have bought it instantly if he saw it in a shop! :rolleyes:

p.s. I notice that you are nearing the magical 1000 posts mark Clinton...

Clinton1
12th April 2006, 10:42 AM
Yep, amazing how quickly you rack up the posts when you just dribble complete rubbish.

jmk89
12th April 2006, 10:46 AM
Yep. I gotta agree with Clinton.

I often show my stuff to Mum and Dad. Mum will go way over the top and tell me how wonderful it is, but if Dad says, "Oh... I guess it is OK" that probably means that he would have bought it instantly if he saw it in a shop! :rolleyes:

Which is why IMHO many boys only really grow up once their Dad dies. It is only then that they really have to make up their own mind whether they have done a good job. In any event, looking back, I know that my Dad's death was the time when I had to really say that I had to stand on my own two feet - I thought before then that I had already done that, but it was only once the old buzzard was gone that I realised how heavily I leaned on him.

Perhaps this isn't the right thread for this discussion, but what the hell!

CameronPotter
12th April 2006, 10:56 AM
Trust me, I haven't leaned on him for ages. We are - simply put - far too different. Our passtimes are completely different, as are our ways of thinking... Also, as for whether I did a good job, I don't guage what I have done against other people's expectations - I gave up on that very early in life (as I didn't mind being the class nerd). Also, when your main job is research that is pretty unique in the field (i.e. I haven't found anyone doing stuff even particularly similar) you have to judge your work yourself as no-one else is qualified...

Mind you, when I move to the States (Ugh!) later this year I will see how much I rely on having other people around in general...

Also, Clinton, as for dribbling rubbish - tell me about it... After all I am getting there myself! :p

DPB
12th April 2006, 02:07 PM
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6484/dscn4564c4es.jpg

KevM
12th April 2006, 02:23 PM
Yes........You have nailed it this time........very nice, greenie launched.

Kev M

CameronPotter
12th April 2006, 02:41 PM
Yep. Not that my good sir is AWESOME.

I really like the metal bar through the lid. It adds a certain industrial quality to what is obviously a finely finished box.

Second greenie on its way...

zenwood
12th April 2006, 03:12 PM
I think so: it now has a certain je ne sais quoi.

How did you do the inlaid bit in the lid. It looks like a curved dowel, or is that the photo? Did you make a huon pine dowel?

DPB
12th April 2006, 03:35 PM
How did you do the inlaid bit in the lid. It looks like a curved dowel, or is that the photo? Did you make a Huon pine dowel?

The Ebony was drilled through before shaping. I inserted and glued a standard pine dowel. (I hope it doesn't discolour too differently than the Huon.) Then I sanded through the Ebony knob to expose the lighter Pine. I thought the affect would be good, and I'm not disappointed. The curved shape on the top of the Ebony gives the dowel the appearance that it is bent, but of course, it is not.

Perhaps this close-up makes it clearer.

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/2942/dscn45689us.jpg

BobR
12th April 2006, 03:41 PM
Don, I didn't have a problem with the original lid, but I must confess that I like this better. Not sure about the metal rod though. More importantly, what does your main critic say now.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th April 2006, 08:47 PM
It's amazing what a difference such a minor thing as a handle can make. It completely changes the character of the piece, doesn't it? :)

Any plans to make complementary pieces to create a set?

felixe
12th April 2006, 08:59 PM
Its a groovy box!!!
Hey, I just saw the new lid, it's punk!! - A pierced knob, is this a new trend????

Peter36
12th April 2006, 09:32 PM
Looks good too but I don't think it needs the ebony? trim you have added to the base of the box . IMHO makes it look a bit busy . The lid crest reminded me of the crest on a Roman Centurion's helmet - but I guess that is a big improvement on a dunny brush . I think your ist version was quite elegant:)
Peter

Gumby
12th April 2006, 09:37 PM
Are you going to tell them what you did to your finger nail Don ? :D

zenwood
12th April 2006, 11:19 PM
My SWMBO said your SWMBO was a turkey for not liking the original box. She thinks the new version is better, and "very artistic", in the "art deco" style.

DPB
12th April 2006, 11:23 PM
Looks good too but I don't think it needs the ebony? trim you have added to the base of the box . IMHO makes it look a bit busy .
Peter
I struggled to understand this comment, Peter, until I went back to look at the picture of the box that I posted today.

That's a shadow, Mate, not trim. ;)

Are you going to tell them what you did to your finger nail Don ? :D
OK, Gumby, if I must. Be careful when using the WASP sander on small pieces. You can remove a fingernail very smartly.:o :mad: :D

Harry72
13th April 2006, 08:51 AM
Don, this is sorta what I ment... we'll call it "The Skyscraper":D
I couldnt quite get the perspective of the handle right!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/Theskyscraperbox.jpg

AlexS
13th April 2006, 01:37 PM
Its a groovy box!!!
Hey, I just saw the new lid, it's punk!! - A pierced knob, is this a new trend????

Hmmmm....the Prince Albert box:D

I reckon that lit is spot on. The dowel idea is very clever, and the rod is a tiny detail that makes all the difference.

BobR
13th April 2006, 01:41 PM
Harry72, you have too much time on your hands.

Andy Mac
13th April 2006, 01:53 PM
DPB,
I think that knob is a definite improvement:D , although I'm not sold on the piercing! I reckon it could have worked if it went through horizontally, but now I'm just getting picky!! This box now comes with a range of lids to suit the most discerning buyer.:rolleyes:
Overall a really nice job, and greenie on the way.

Cheers,

silentC
13th April 2006, 02:41 PM
I'm not sold on the piercing
Maybe it would look better with the Hafada :eek:

Andy Mac
13th April 2006, 03:15 PM

Sorry, lost me...:o

silentC
13th April 2006, 03:20 PM
Google, my son, Google. But maybe you'd rather not know ;)

Andy Mac
13th April 2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah I think I'm following you, but not keen to find pictorial explanation...I think we're having a BBQ on the weekend.:D

Cheers,

Auld Bassoon
13th April 2006, 05:45 PM
Very nice now Don. Reminiscent of the Bauhaus School of design. Greenie launched

Auld Bassoon
13th April 2006, 05:49 PM

Aina! Waaaaay too much detail :eek:

MajorPanic
13th April 2006, 08:10 PM
Look, to save ANY arguements or differences of opinion.............

SEND IT TO ME!!!!

I'll look after it for ya ;) :D :D :D

(really, really nice job!!!) http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Harry72
13th April 2006, 09:37 PM
Harry72, you have too much time on your hands.
Took about 5min Bob...

DPB
16th April 2006, 01:28 PM
Sorry to prolong this thread, but I have finished the Stilt Box using sanding sealer, then when dry, sanded with 0000 steel wool dipped in Ubeaut's EEE-Ultra Shine and finally a very thin coat of Ubeaut Traditional Wax.

Both Huon Pine and Ebony lend themselves to a very smooth finish, but the application of the polish and wax have left this piece smoother than the proverbial baby's butt. At the same time, I eased all the edges which, I believe, adds to the sensuous look and feel of this box. I should also say that I'm thrilled with the way this finish has brought out the rather unusual grain on the Huon, which can sometimes be quite boring when it comes to grain.

And best of all, she now likes it!

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/3899/stiltbox5lm.jpg

Gumby
16th April 2006, 04:00 PM
Look great Don. Just one question though.

Isn't the EEE suposed to go on last ? I didn't think you could put a finish over it. :confused:

(Maybe I'll have to read the book again)

johnc
16th April 2006, 04:51 PM
The second lid seems to suit better than version one. Not sure about the piercing but a very attractive box.

John

zenwood
16th April 2006, 05:12 PM
Beatiful result, Don, and the finish looks superb. You want to reach out and touch it.

(teeny issue: your photo is too tall for my screen: can't see the whole thing at once. I can shrink to fit if I go straight to http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3010/stiltbox7fk.jpg, but would be nice to be able to see the whole thing here on the forum.)

DPB
16th April 2006, 05:17 PM
Look great Don. Just one question though.

Isn't the EEE suposed to go on last ? I didn't think you could put a finish over it. :confused:

(Maybe I'll have to read the book again)

Don't know the answer to that, Gumby, but I note that in the Handbook, Neil states, "You will probably find many, many more uses for this product". Perhaps I've found one of those.

I've always thought of EEE as a cut-polish; a way of obtaining the ultimate in a smooth finish. But I like the "lustrous and slightly dry shine" achieved with Traditional Wax. As the book says, "it leaves the surface with a sensual feel". :)

teeny issue: your photo is too tall for my screen: can't see the whole thing at once. I can shrink to fit if I go straight to http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3010/stiltbox7fk.jpg, but would be nice to be able to see the whole thing here on the forum.

Sorry, Zen, picture changed.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th April 2006, 08:39 PM
I certainly hope you're right and Gumby's wrong, Don.

I also use it primarily as a cutting compund; just before applying Shellawax on corian or acrylic pens, or after the first coat of Danish on my goblets. As you said, it helps give the baby's-bum finish but without the satin look.

The last thing I want to hear is that there may be a spate of items coming back for refinishing! :eek:

It has certainly brought out the grain on the box, lovely stuff!

AlexS
16th April 2006, 09:49 PM
Great result Don.
The handle now meets with my approval :rolleyes: and you've achieved a great result with the huon grain.

silentC
18th April 2006, 09:59 AM
I certainly hope you're right and Gumby's wrong, Don.
Yes Don is right. I believe the primary use of EEE is as a final polishing step after sanding and before applying a finish (ie Shellawax). You can also use it to improve some finishes by using it as a cutting compound.