PDA

View Full Version : Uneven grain

Bazza
15th May 2002, 08:24 AM
Hello
I have been sanding a platter made from Campha Laurel and have noticed that the grain pattern on one side has some hard and soft patches that are leaving waves in that area.
What should I do to even it out.

Barry

Shane Watson
15th May 2002, 09:12 AM
Don't sand so much. Sanding will remove the soft areas faster than the harder areas causing the waves. Happens on pine regularly as well.

Tim the Timber Turner
15th May 2002, 09:41 AM
If you are Power Sanding use as large a sanding pad as the job will permit.

A 100mm one is good. Even larger is better.

In anticipation to your next question. Make one, but with a flexiable but firm backing.

Another trick is to use a high (but safe)lathe speed and light pressure on the pad. The heat generated with the higher speed reduces the life of the abrasive but that's the tradeoff.

There you are a lifetimes experience in 5 sentences. Don't amount to much do it?

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.

Kev Y.
16th May 2002, 09:10 PM
Bazz, If you have it, I have seen super glue used to secure the grain fibres to allow them to be sanded.

Kev

JackoH
17th May 2002, 10:23 AM
Very sharp tools!
Highest safe speed!
Very light cuts!
Regards. John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Bazza
19th May 2002, 06:46 PM
Hello
I took a fine cut across the inside of the platter to remove the ripples, turned up the lathe speed and sanded by hand using a small flat block of wood across the face, it worked well .
Thankyou for your help.
Barry