PDA

View Full Version : My first box: MDF pencil box with sliding lid

zenwood
11th April 2006, 08:17 AM
Back to the real world folks, here is the first box I ever made, back in about 1999, using MDF with meranti for the lid frame. Darkside methods throughout, and finished in Wattyl estapol gloss or some such thing.

It's quality like this that you really learn from.

I'm actually very satisfied with its functionality: the lid slides in nicely and ends up home with a pleasing 'click'. And it has held my daughter's pencils these last seven years with surprisingly little wear and tear.

AlexS
11th April 2006, 09:57 AM
In the words of the song..."You've come a long way baby"

It's amazing what a little bit of practice can do, & I'm sure your daughter still reckons it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Harry72
11th April 2006, 04:13 PM
Hmmm MDF with hand cut finger jointshttp://www.ubeaut.biz/chuckle2.gif

ss_11000
11th April 2006, 04:26 PM
i made something almost exactly like that for my first project at school. but we didn't use fancy joints, just a nail and hammer to start off with.
btw. box looks good to, bet it would have looked better new?

DPB
11th April 2006, 05:36 PM
I'm actually very satisfied with its funcationality: the lid slides in nicely and ends up home with a pleasing 'click'. And it has held my daughter's pencils these last seven years with surprisingly little wear and tear.

And no one will call it a dunny brush!:o

Auld Bassoon
11th April 2006, 07:19 PM
To echo Alex's comments, you certainly have move on a long way mate - good on you! :)

Auld Bassoon
11th April 2006, 07:20 PM
And no one will call it a dunny brush!:o

That still smarting Don :D ?

zenwood
12th April 2006, 10:02 AM
Harry: MDF stuff-ups are cheaper:)

ss: I dunno: the high gloss just highlighted the gappy joints, but the dings just add to the "character":o

Don: I did think that was a bit severe:eek::mad::(. What a bunch of philistines: macassar ebony and huon pine dunny brush indeed!

Wardy
12th April 2006, 08:07 PM
Good one Zenwood.yes time does march on and for the better on your behalf. I made similar box in the late 60's at high school, but with laminex lid. thanks for the memories. Wardy

zenwood
13th April 2006, 11:28 AM
ss and Wardy: how about posting pics? This is a classic design (I remember these boxes from my school-days--I never had one and always wanted one), and it would be good to see the variations on a theme:)

Shedhand
13th April 2006, 11:38 AM
From memory, the first thing I made at school woodwork class was a "T" square. I farted around for weeks getting the 90 deg exact and eventually got 10/10 for it. :D Then I used it in the Tech Drawing class (why don't they bring that back?) to draw my first plan. "Scotty the Dog". Anyone remember Scotty? :D
They were the good ol' days.:p

Auld Bassoon
13th April 2006, 07:05 PM
Perhaps Zenwood's bravery in exposing his first attempts mightv temp some of us to also post (in trepidation!) our earlier works.

I'm game and will post some pics of some of my early "works" tomorrow...Under a pseudonym of course :)

Auld Bassoon
13th April 2006, 07:08 PM
Hi Sheddy,

I used to love Tech Drawing, always a bit of a maths and physics nerd, this was a good amalgum of practical versus theoretical. It even got me going with some solo metalwork projects. But that's another story.

Shedhand
13th April 2006, 08:13 PM
Hi Sheddy,

I used to love Tech Drawing, always a bit of a maths and physics nerd, this was a good amalgum of practical versus theoretical. It even got me going with some solo metalwork projects. But that's another story.SWMBO loves tech drawing but wasn't allowed to do it at school because she was a girl (OK smart ar$es - yeah she's still a girl - you know what I mean) :rolleyes: .
I used to like drawing bearing housings.:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th April 2006, 08:32 PM
I liked tech drawing but kept getting failure grades from the anal retentive in charge, even though I always did well on the theory. Why? 'Cos there was always a smudged fingerprint or my lettering wasn't printing-press perfect. :rolleyes:

After 2 years of him I ended up hating the subject enough that even now I'd rather ruin a good bit of wood than draw up [shudder] plans...

ss_11000
13th April 2006, 10:49 PM
ss and Wardy: how about posting pics? This is a classic design (I remember these boxes from my school-days--I never had one and always wanted one), and it would be good to see the variations on a theme:)

ill post a pic...i'll do it tommorow ( if i remember ) when i 'll get out the camera

one day soon
13th April 2006, 11:49 PM
I really appreciate you showing it Zenwood. I am close to completing my first box and thought that I would post it. Then I saw Stride88's first post and was so embarrassed with my efforts that I changed my mind! Comparing your first box to your later efforts (awesome) has really encouraged me.

graemet
14th April 2006, 04:28 PM
I have always been grateful for the "Woodwork & Tech Drawing" classes we had to do in first year high school (in the Jurrasic era). Even though I was doing the 2 language stream, the powers that be decreed that the manual arts were needed for a well rounded education. The first standard project was a teapot stand - all dark side - with the half housed joint where the feet crossed neatly hidden under the top, until the teacher turned it over to mark it. Second project was a Tee square which I still have somewhere. We didn't get much done in a year but it was fun and taught us all the fundamentals.
Cheers
Graeme

ss_11000
14th April 2006, 04:59 PM
heres a pic of my box...made in year 7 and i'm in yr 9 now....

it looks worse than i remembered...got a few dints in it...got bumbed a few times

mum has been using it with its intended use- to hold stationary

Wood Butcher
14th April 2006, 05:55 PM
Graemet, just to let you know, they still make that teapot stand in some QLD schools. I did a demo for some kids last week during a teaching prac stint I did!!

Auld Bassoon
14th April 2006, 07:29 PM
Looks pretty fair to me Stirlo, especially for a Yr 7 effort. Good on ya!

zenwood
14th April 2006, 09:26 PM
Yep: good job SS, and the clear lid is a useful variant. Did you use the power tools in yr7?

I remember making a couple of things in early high school woodwork -- a coffee table and a turned bowl. I guess they didn't stand the test of time, 'cos I don't know whatever happened to them.:(

At least unlike computer skills, woodworking skills will last you the rest of your life.

ss_11000
14th April 2006, 09:49 PM
Yep: good job SS, and the clear lid is a useful variant. Did you use the power tools in yr7?

nothing hand held

the teacher cut to legnth on a drop saw thingy.
we got to use the disc sander to square the edges and level two pieces that were parralel,
if our timber was kinda raised or not flush we used a plane.
hammers, nails, glue , sandpaper and thats about all.

then on our next job, a coffee mug tree, we used a drill press, disc sander etc...then all by hand.

in yr 8 we used hand held stuff but we dont get to use bs and table saw etc till yr 10 something bout oh&s:(

the bad thing about the pencil box is that we didn't use a sanding sealer and i didn't sand properly between laquer coats

zenwood
15th April 2006, 03:09 PM
nothing hand held... I wondered about the slot for the lid: router? tablesaw?

the bad thing about the pencil box is that we didn't use a sanding sealer and i didn't sand properly between laquer coats
It's never too late: give it a quick sand 180, 320, 400, 600, and try another final coat of laquer.

ss_11000
15th April 2006, 03:53 PM
I wondered about the slot for the lid: router? tablesaw?

It's never too late: give it a quick sand 180, 320, 400, 600, and try another final coat of laquer.

the timber was made like that before our class got in there and i never bothered to find out how they did it.

i might actually give it another sand but i'm still deciding weather to leave it, cos it was my first piece of ww, or revive it.

Wardy
15th April 2006, 06:17 PM
Sorry Zenwood, the pencil box went to the great woodchip pile many eons ago

Wardy