PDA

View Full Version : Pencil commission

Andy Mac
12th April 2006, 11:34 AM
Hi there all you pen turners!
I have a question that may turn into a request to have one made, but can a decent pencil be made using the hardware available? I guess I mean a clutch type, or something with replaceable leads, as I usually draw with 2B and they use up fairly quickly.
If someone is prepared to make me one I'll pay, but maybe you'd be interested in swapping for some timbers in my stash! I've been hoarding for 20 years and many pieces are scraps too small for most furniture work but may be of interest.:D

Cheers,

bitingmidge
12th April 2006, 11:58 AM
I've thought of giving it a go on many occasions, a clutch pencil is a simple barrel so it shouldn't be too hard.

On the other hand, I also bought a .7mm plastic "pentel" to steal the workings from a few years ago to do the same thing.

Don't hold your breath for me Andy, but I'd love to see the pics when someone does get one done.

Cheers,

P

CameronPotter
12th April 2006, 12:21 PM
Andy - are you just meaning a simple "pacer" type mechanical pencil?

If so, I can do you one of those very fast. Although, the range of pencil mechanisms are fairly limited.

I have a "Longwood" pencil mechanism (see Jim Carroll's site - www.cws.au.com (http://www.cws.au.com) I think) that is just sitting around as well as the cheaper slimlines.

If you want something like that, just let me know.

As for a pencil for wood swap - let's just say that I am very interested (although I wouldn't necessarily want them cut into pen blank sizes)...

Cam

ps I also would obviously have no problem if you wanted to go with a more experienced/different turner... :)

Andy Mac
12th April 2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys, its sounding positive so far. I just did a bit of websearch and found this brand: Polaris Satin Pencil - #PKPOLPCLS Brushed stainless and a fairly fat body, would show off a nice timber! Are these available in Australia?

Cheers,

CameronPotter
12th April 2006, 02:35 PM
I don't know about all of the shops...

But Carroll's has Polaris, but not as a brushed stainless finish.
http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107145435

Also, Carbatec have a woodworker's pencil:
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15000_15098

Also, there are some turners on here (like Darley and maybe Bdar) who might have access to other pencil kits. I know for a fact that Darley orders his kits from the States...

Cam

fxst
12th April 2006, 03:21 PM
I don't know about all of the shops...
Also, there are some turners on here (like Darley and maybe Bdar) who might have access to other pencil kits. I know for a fact that Darley orders his kits from the States...
Cam
Speaking of whom I havent seen him around for a while now here or the penturners site ...hope he is ok.
I have been wanting to ask him a couple questions too
Pete

CameronPotter
12th April 2006, 04:25 PM
I saw a post on penturners saying that he was going to be "away" for a while or something...

I don't know what is happening though.

Cam

Jim Carroll
12th April 2006, 07:49 PM
Cameron if you are interested in this pencil we will add to our next order.

coastie
12th April 2006, 08:36 PM
Go to an art supply shop or Office Works and ask for a Staedtler Mars 780 clutch pencil,retail for about $12 .I always use on when I am Marking wood etc you can also extend the lead to about 50mm to mark through thick items such as power points etc.Its a great pencil no woody should be without one!!

dai sensei
12th April 2006, 09:15 PM
I've made a number of pencil's using kits from Carbatec and GPW, but have stopped as they are all for the 0.5mm leads. I find this too thin for the workshop (and my job) as they break too easily and prefer the 0.7mm or even 0.9mm leads (available at newsagents etc).

Does anyone know of where I can get the kits for the larger leads?

I tried to use cheaper ready made pens for their hardware, but haven't been successful. I believe I can use the hardware from a more expensive pen, but don't think its worth it.

bdar
12th April 2006, 10:34 PM
Andy and Neil Carb-a-tec have a woodworkers pencil that uses a 1/4" lead, also have a mate that works in an art supply store and he is checking into 1/4" leads like 2B, 4B and 6B and I will market them as an artist pencil. Sell them as a single or as a set of 3 has large body and will show off timber well. As for Darley was talking to him last week he is moving back to Victoria due to family comittments and was finishing his house to rent and still had to pack his reastaurant up. So he is fine but very busy at the moment. said he will let me know when he is settled. Received a beautiful Baron rollerball as a going away gift for the friendship we have formed. It was out of Myrtle Burl that I cut and sent to him. It never leaves my pocket, unless my boss trys to knock it off. It was Darley that taught me CA finishing and about Micro Mesh. Stirlo I met him on a "Yanky" site and he lived only 3 hrs away from me :rolleyes:
Cheers
Darren

ss_11000
12th April 2006, 10:45 PM
. Stirlo I met him on a "Yanky" site and he lived only 3 hrs away from me :rolleyes:
Cheers
Darren

oh, well i guess over seas sites can be good after all