PDA

View Full Version : Which superglue for what?

soundman
12th April 2006, 11:36 PM
I'm about to start some pen turning among other things and have obtained a couple of bottles of superglue.

Now
What grades do you use for what & any hints of kinks.

cheers

bdar
12th April 2006, 11:43 PM
Hi Soundman for gluing tubes I use a medium CA and hit it with accelerator, for a CA finish on a pen i use about 4 coats of thin CA level it out smooth and 1 thin coat of thick CA but for the pen finish i let the CA dry of without accelerator
Cheers
Darren

CameronPotter
13th April 2006, 11:15 AM
Thin stuff is also good for minor stabilisation.

However, read the safety forum - this is nasty stuff (for me at least)... SO I would recommend wearing a gas mask with a filter for toxic farm chemicals.

Cam

soundman
13th April 2006, 11:20 AM
Apart from going off faster what is the benefit of the accelerator?

How much fasrer does the accelerator make the glue go off.

cheers

CameronPotter
13th April 2006, 11:22 AM
It is immediate. Unbelievable stuff.

However, that is the only advantage. It can cloud the glue and cause it to bubble and be slightly weaker. That being said, that is no problem on the inside of a blank.

Cam

Dean
13th April 2006, 04:29 PM
If the super glue doesnt work for gluing, if its thin enough you can use it for finishing :)

I use west system epoxy for gluing the tubes (or selleys 5 min set is equally as good). The west system takes longer to cure. 4-5 hours to set ready for turning, but have not had one come apart yet.

I'm currently using shellawax and EEE for the finishes. Gives a more natural looking finish.

Have fun pen turning :)

CameronPotter
13th April 2006, 04:52 PM
Yep. Actually, I must admit, the only time that I have had problems with tubes is when I haven't sanded them first (to give a bit of bite) or I have been a bit hasty with the glue and not covered the inside properly.

However, I have used all kinds of glues and they all seem to work (Urethane, Superglue, Epoxy, even some funny glue meant for stick on arrow nocks for archery)...

Cam

Ruffy
13th April 2006, 08:13 PM
As Cameron said - don't forget to rough up the outside of the tubes a bit.

If you have time then the cheapest most effective glue I use is "bondcrete" it has a slight gap filling property about it. When I have the time I make up a bunch of blanks using bondcrete and they are ready for turning the next day.

If I want to turn straight away then I use CA (medium)

bdar
13th April 2006, 10:12 PM
One other thing I do after I drill out a blank coat the inside of the tube with CA spray the accelerator and then ream the hole with the drill size of the tube again. It may seam a bit much but the advantages are that if you get any fine heat cracks from drilling or there is a hidden flaw internally the CA will help stabilize it. Plus the CA will adhere to to the dried CA and create a better bond. Since doing this I have not had a blank fail from gluing.

Darren