PDA

View Full Version : Is it a Bird

Peter36
13th April 2006, 05:46 PM
Just finished this box for my daughter . Its 350x220x120 . The lid is Madrone veneer on MDF with a wenge frame . The rest of the box is Tas Myrtle . I cut a piece of myrtle down the middle so I could run the grain around the box .Would like to have used the same timber for the box but could'nt get any . The mitres are joined with loose tenons as are the wenge frames . Finished with Mirotone precat lacquer and just the lid I polished with EEE and then wax . Took some advice given when I posted a previous box and stuck the felt to a piece of cardboard and folded the edges under the crdboard to eliminate the furry edge

Auld Bassoon
13th April 2006, 06:13 PM
Beautiful box - and the Madrone looks to have a superb figure. Veeeery Nice :)

DPB
13th April 2006, 08:46 PM
Peter, this is one fine box. Simple design - superbly executed.

I particularly like the idea of using the lower dividers as the support for the upper tray. It's so obvious, but not something I've seen before that I can recall.

I wish I had the confidence to try using a lacquer finish. I think it presents a very professional look.

Good work, Mate!:)

johnc
14th April 2006, 08:30 PM
Very nice box, I can only agree with the previous posts

John

Scally
16th April 2006, 11:27 AM
A great looking box.

I like the way the timber colours work together.
The madrone burl is very eye catching.

AlexS
16th April 2006, 09:55 PM
Great result Peter. As Scally says, the timbers go well together & the (black?) velvet provides a good contrast with the myrtle. Nice proportions and design of the interior too.

zenwood
16th April 2006, 10:09 PM
Absolutely brilliant box. Understated mastery, and very rich looking mix of timbers. I'm not usually a fan of brass feet, but here they go well, especially when the box is open and they match the hinges.

One question, though: what do you mean when you say you've joined the mitres with loose tenons? Do you mean splines?

Peter36
16th April 2006, 11:28 PM
Hi Zenwood
I made up a jig to hold a mitred piece so that the mitred surface was horizontal so that I could use my router to cut mortices in the mitred surface and then cut loose tenons .In this box there are 4 tenons per corner .
Thanks everyone for the comments
Peter:)