PDA

View Full Version : it didn't turn out like i expected

ss_11000
14th April 2006, 05:06 PM
hi all

bout 2/3 weeks ago, i turned a pen and l.o. and while on the lathe decided to experiment with colouring. for this i used food colouring ( thats all i could find ). it worked good, but now it's starting to wear off and the natural colours starting to show thru.

what i did was:
turn down the blank
sand to 1200
apply colouring
left for ten min
apply shellawax and hut

and the lo i left it for 24 hrs but did the same as above

is the only thing i did wrong was use food dye or was it how i applyied it?

tia

cheers

ubeaut
15th April 2006, 09:47 AM
Shellawax or Shellawax Cream?

How many coats of Shellawax?

What timber?

Are you having the same problem with unstained pens?

Do you always use Hutt over the Shellawax?

Is it wearing off with use or from just sitting around?

If wearing with use is the dye coming off on hands?

Hickory
15th April 2006, 11:59 AM
You didn't supply any protection to keep the color intact. Food coloring will work fine BUT it has to be sealed into the wood. I am not familiar with the product you mentioned but I believe it to be a surface polish rather than a sealing finish (Drying, Hardening finish) I would have used a Poly or WB Poly on the piece or even Lacquer to seal the color. These Wax type finishes are fine for Wipe Buff & done approaches but to ensure long life to the project go back to the basics and apply a finish coat and wait (I know wait is a four letter word with your generation and many others as well) but Drying, & Hardening is the best option for applying finishes.

ss_11000
15th April 2006, 12:45 PM
Shellawax or Shellawax Cream? shellawax

How many coats of Shellawax? two

What timber? rosewood and hairy oak

Are you having the same problem with unstained pens? no

Do you always use Hutt over the Shellawax? no, i've tried it a few times and it seemed to work so i used it that time to

Is it wearing off with use or from just sitting around? yep

If wearing with use is the dye coming off on hands?no