PDA

View Full Version : Help With Wood Working Project !!!!!

watcher
14th April 2006, 06:24 PM
Im Building A Ps2 And Game Holder For Both Of My Kids And Im Not Sure About Something... Does Anyone Know If You Can Put Drawings Onto Wood And Color It In With Colored Pencil And Then Apply Poly Over The Top Of It ? My Kids Want Pics Of Fantasy Creatures On Their Holders And I Have No Idea If This Is Going To Work.. Is There Some Kind Of Ink That Would Last Under Poly Without Smearing ??? Has Anyone Ever Done Anything Like This Before ???

Kev Y.
14th April 2006, 10:17 PM
Greetings watcher, how about using a dye instead of coloured pencil?

Go get your self some of Ubeauts dyes or even experiment with food dye first

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2006, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure what finish they use for modern decoupage (you know... the paper clippings glued to an item and lacquered over) but my Pop made a tray from oak(? I think) and Nan glued down some old clippings, then decorated the timber around 'em with coloured lead pencils before sealing it all with shellac.

That's lasted some 40 years worth of tea'n'scones in front of the telly so it's definitely possible. I've no idea know how modern pencils and Poly'd go together though... I'm sure you'll have a scrap of wood or two handy. Let us know how you go. ;)

ss_11000
14th April 2006, 10:47 PM
or even experiment with food dye first

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=30684
check out that thread...food stuff didn't work for me...but u can still try it if u want but tell us how it went if u do try it

Bob Willson
15th April 2006, 12:44 AM
Just use ordinary acrylic paints