PDA

View Full Version : Cypress box

woodbe
15th April 2006, 07:53 PM
Hi.

Here's another box. This one is made entirely from some offcuts of the trees we cut down here last year, and with a lot of help and interest from our youngest son.

And yes, I know we haven't allowed for seasonal expansion of the timber :) The focus is on getting some sort of accuracy and practicing joins and finishes, I've got some boxmaking books on the way, so we'll be tackling the timber movement issues when they turn up and get read.

Might have to try and get four corners worth of dovetails in for the next one...

woodbe.

boban
15th April 2006, 07:59 PM
A very crisp and clean looking box. I like it.

Only thing I would change is the base.

woodbe
15th April 2006, 08:02 PM
Might be a bit hard now :)

But I know what you mean, working on it...

woodbe.

RufflyRustic
15th April 2006, 08:39 PM
This is one fine and gorgeous looking box. You certainly got the accuracy and finish spot on there. Ok, so expansion might be a problem. so what, you've learnt from this and have a great box as well.

Greenie for you.

Cheers
Wendy

Auld Bassoon
15th April 2006, 08:55 PM
Cypress eh? Lovely wood - and no knots - amazing! All the Cypress that I've used has had an army of knots in it...

Keep 'em coming mate!

Gumby
15th April 2006, 08:58 PM
I really like the look of Cypress. That is a very smart looking box, well done.

Carry Pine
15th April 2006, 09:08 PM
And how about the aroma when you cut cypress. Isn't it great?

woodbe
15th April 2006, 09:51 PM
Cypress eh? Lovely wood - and no knots - amazing! All the Cypress that I've used has had an army of knots in it...

Keep 'em coming mate!

Heh. you should have seen the bits we rejected :) If you look closely, there are knots, but they are either on the inside, or inconspicuously hidden... (inside, back and base)

And yes, Carry Pine, it has a delightful spicy smell. Mind you we're getting used to it, there's been some sort of processing going on here for about 6 months now.

Thanks for the feedback!

woodbe.

Harry72
15th April 2006, 10:45 PM
Very neat isnt it, well done the box joints give it a look without adding any fuss.

DPB
15th April 2006, 11:28 PM
Flawless!:)

woodbe
16th April 2006, 09:42 AM
Very neat isnt it, well done the box joints give it a look without adding any fuss.

Thanks. actually, that was accidental, but it has tuned out well. I was going to cut 6 or so fingers per join, but when the lad started pawing all over it, I decided we would need results more quickly to keep his interest. After selecting which piece was going to be the front, I noticed the variation in grain colour was roughly divided into thirds, so that's how it landed up with just 3 fingers per side.

woodbe.