PDA

View Full Version : Starting from the Beginning

A192K
16th April 2006, 02:04 PM
Hi all.

I thought i would share my Shed from concept to reality(well it will be real inside the next 2 months)

Stage 1/ Getting Town Planning,after she held the meeting i heard through the grapevine that i had prelimary approval,

as soon as i did the 300 Odd Jobs i had put off for the last year i could purchase Shed,

i wrestled with the usual suspects (totalspan,titan,shedco,ranbuilt) and came to a common denominator,if the shed was going to get done one of these 4 would get the job,

now as i started this project last October,i started finding out what i could and could not do.as i am in Brisbane City Council the rules are not all that strict.as a matter of fact i feel they are easy to deal with apart from donating 942 dollars (542 for relax clause,400 normal charge) so they would let me put the shed up on my boundry,

yes thats right you have to pay 542.00 INC GST so they will let you have the relaxation,now only 1 shed company told me i need to pay the 942.the rest only budgeted for the 400.

so finally, trying to decide which company would supply the colorbond the way i wanted it.i went with who i felt comfortable with and one that could meet my expatations.

first contact with shed people was in late November 2005.finally i had all 4 qoutes by 1st week March 2006

why some companies advertise on television,then when you call them to come for Qoute they never show up is beyond me.i would imagine its not cheap to market yourself during primetime.so they need to ask some questions of their sales force.

anyway here we are 16th april and slab was meant to be done last week.but guess what,yep you guessed right,they decided to do it after Easter,of course i will not be here as work duty calls and i will be away i tryed to postpone but they said not an option.

so i hope my plans for dust collection work out.i have decided to put all collection pipes under slab. as well as 3 phase Table saw power.

i will update the photos as they come through and right up to the fitting out stage.

this shed has been a lifelong ambition,and quite honestly i cant wait to have 1 room in the house that i can call my own.

with 3 girls in the house the only other thing i own is my clothes.

the Shed is 6x4 mts 2.7 high.

i plan for the following tools

Trupro 12"Cab saw
Delta Thicknesser
Carbatec 12"Jointer
Taiwanese 21" Bandsaw
Drill Press
Homemade Vertical Rip Saw
Router attached to Saw,with some Incra stuff to be added when i get 6 numbers.
also i would like a drum sander ,but as ive done for last 25 years i will continue on by hand .

as for dust collection,
truthfully i am stumped,as you can see from the photo i am putting in the ducting 100MM PVC,
i have read about the 150MM and looked at many sites as to what is best.

so while i dont like to ask to many about this,im sure some of you will be able to give me some real thoughts on what size Collector i should buy.

i had thought of making 1 and to be honest i could not be tossed,by the time i gather all the bits,i could have bought 1 from anyware that im sure many of you will tell me can do the job

also i want to install an overhead filter,barfridge,aircond,and an old computer i have been saving,so that can login to net read forum,and all that stuff.

anyway this is where its at for now.

regards A1

journeyman Mick
16th April 2006, 02:22 PM
A1,
I'd be a bit worried about running my ducting in the slab. Murphy's law dictates that:
1) the harder it is to clear a blockage the greater the possibiliity of one occuring
2) as soon as you create the optimum layout for your machinery (and therefore your ducting) you'll get another machine or move stuff around to enhance your workflow and thereby end up with a duct that's in the way.

If you really must have it in slab I would run some of the pipes right through the slab and have a clean out port outside so you can push a cleaning rod through.

Mick

echnidna
16th April 2006, 02:26 PM
Must agree with Mick.
You can always hang the ducting above head height so it wont get in the way but still be accessible so you can rearrange it if need arises.

Bob Willson
16th April 2006, 02:31 PM
How many power points have you allowed for and how many of those will be 15 amp?

Also, lighting is VERY important. Put in about 5 times what you thought you might need and activate them in groups of three. Check out other threads on lighting and types of lighting.

A192K
16th April 2006, 05:21 PM
Hi all,
yes i agree with the underground ducting, i have just added a flow through.
as for changeing the shop around,to be honest i will be ok once i have it set,i cant tell you how many times i have played this out and have a drawing of where the machines will go,,and i cant see it changing,i also have allocated 2 spare ducts,so i can always add more machines.

as for power and lights,
i have 3 doubles over head,and 1 clear section above table saw.as well i will have focused lights on walls above work bench

4 x 15 A Points,would only have use for 2 at moment.maybe 3 if i get a bigger collector

2 X 3P Connections.will use only one at moment

2 X 10A doubles

1 x 10A Quad

i had local sparky do the sussin out,and this was his recomended elec setout, based on the machines i told him i would have.he said we were under 60A

i feel everyone has an idea of what is perfect for them,i will never be able to have a bigger shed unless i move.cant see that happening,so while i agree that some machines will change.i also see that one day i will have to have overhead ducting,but for now,i have the bulk below.

all positive comments are much appreciated,and thanks for taking the time to make them.

Bob Willson
16th April 2006, 05:50 PM
Quote: all positive comments are much appreciated,and thanks for taking the time to make them.

Negative comments are often a lot more help than positive ones. :D

A192K
26th April 2006, 01:25 AM
Hi Guys
well finally the shed is up and the real work can begin.

the insulation has been put in the roof,

i went for underground ducting ,yes i know most of you think it should be up,but i always have that option,and how many of you have raised duck work because you did not have the option of going under.

i will now clean up the area and start to lay a floor,my choice is chipboard,as its cheap and the dimensions are great.

i had planned to lay a parquetry floor and just give a light sand and a wax,and still will if i get a cheap non select grade
around 25 SQ MTS is needed if any one has that much lyin around i dont care if it is made from 20 different tyes of timber,nor do i care for the dimension.i can make any size work,19mm would be only pref.

yes i know its over the top,but when you spend all your spare time in same room you had better enjoy the surroundings.

then i will cover walls in a mixture of ply and mdf,so here are a few pics
cheers

XT4V
28th April 2006, 03:58 PM
looks good, what was the total cost (permits, shed, concrete etc)

A192K
29th April 2006, 12:18 AM
hi untamed
cost was as follows,(and not finished just shell)
shed was 5000.
slab was 1350
redirect underground stormwater drain 450
ducting was 300
insulation was 450
permits were 942 as i needed extra permit for boundery easement

and then i need to fit out inside,
ceiling
walls/insulation
floor
electrical work

air condition smallest split system

over head air cleaner
fitting for duct work to machines
dust collection unit,( i have asked in forum for some advise on this matter but no response did i mention i use hand planes and do charity work? LOL)

gee i think i better stop im feeling like i lied to wife about it only costing 8000 all up,

all the rest of the work i will do my self,and even to the cabling for all elec work,then the sparky can plug it in and sign it off.

so this is where its at to date

cheers

Caliban
29th April 2006, 05:21 PM
Mate that's a nice looking shed.
Use good sound insulation as it's pretty close to the house and you'll be in the poo every time you fire up a machine.
Make your own blast gates the ones carbatec etc sell are crap and dear. Mine were fiddly (time consuming) but easy. They work perfectly,, never jam up with dust like the commercial ones do and cost nothing apart from scrap and time. Copy the plans on Bill Pentz's site (actually a link).
Keep us posted.Greenie on the way.
See soundman for mobile bases for your machines, his are really strong and cheap.
Also his anti fatigue mats are great.

martrix
29th April 2006, 05:35 PM
as for power and lights, i have 3 doubles over head,and 1 clear section above table saw.as well i will have focused lights on walls above work bench

4 x 15 A Points,would only have use for 2 at moment.maybe 3 if i get a bigger collector

2 X 3P Connections.will use only one at moment

2 X 10A doubles

1 x 10A Quad

i had local sparky do the sussin out,and this was his recomended elec setout, based on the machines i told him i would have.he said we were under 60A

Nice looking shed, luck you!
Do you know how much the electrical work will cost? I would be looking at having something similar done, cheers.

A192K
29th April 2006, 07:52 PM
hi guys
thanks caliban for the advise,i was lookin today at the lee valley ones
but not sure,mobiles bases will not be cheap for 6 machines was thinking of actually mounting a 2 wheel system with a tow ball type stem at front at front,but will see, i probably will be like this,when i need to move something i will find a way,

as for elec work,it will cost me 2500 dollars,i am 20 mts away from my power box.sparky said for my config it will cost this much,i will do the
wiring for aircondition (wiring now before i buy it,i know where it will go)
so yes its kinda exp, i have had 2 other qoutes,but all within 300 dollars,and this guy actually wired my house from new so he has good idea of internal workings.

cheers

Wild Dingo
7th May 2006, 03:17 AM
the Shed is 6x4 mts 2.7 high.

i plan for the following tools

Trupro 12"Cab saw
Delta Thicknesser
Carbatec 12"Jointer
Taiwanese 21" Bandsaw
Drill Press
Homemade Vertical Rip Saw
Router attached to Saw,with some Incra stuff to be added when i get 6 numbers.
also i would like a drum sander ,but as ive done for last 25 years i will continue on by hand .

mmm can I toss in a negative? I know you only want positives but you dont mind if I throw a wobbly one do you? No thanks mate... I promise to go easy on you okay ;)

See Ive just put up a 6x9mtr shed and its too friggin small by a country mile!!
Tools?
10in cab saw
15in thicknesser
8in jointer
18in bandsaw
drill press
sliding compound saw

so far pretty similar if not a bit smaller than what you propose
now factor in a router and table a lathe the dust collection unit a decent bench and a sander cause as you start doin better things so you will want to make the sanding go smoother and the suddenly space is gettin tight... now factor in the previously owned tools a cupboard some shelves and your stuffed... and thats without storage for timber!!

Sorry but from where I sit a 6x4mtr shed is way too small for the tools your proposing to get while your presently owned ones are an unknown and your timber requirements also unknown Id say you are gonna be screeming for more shed space pretty flamin quick!!

Look at it this way my 6x9 is TOO FLAMIN SMALL way way too small :( ... with the above tools in there along along with farming a couple of larger tools out to my son in laws and having moved about 20% of my more exotic timbers in to keep the weather off it... theres seriously getting to be no room to skin a cat in there let alone make something!... mind you I will say I like my bench space and have made one 3x6mtr bay almost entirely benches with one end for the lathe but then I buggarise around with a lot of smaller stuff and well I like to spead out a fair bit :o And where else do you stick a bench press sanders and such? :rolleyes: But in reality Ive only got a 6x6mtr shed for the tools :eek:

See thing is that tools beget more tools beget more tools beget more tools and on... and looking at timber well timber will breed... seriously!!! Ive got the shed plus a bloody great humpyhoochy thing (70ft x 25 x 25) thats chockers of wood mainly logs that seemed to have taken refuge in there along with a fair stack of planks of various specie that have appeared and made their home which is why some had to move inside to the shed... I think Id go totally friggin troppo in a 6x4 shed!! :eek: :D

On the other hand... on a positive note... if thats the largest a) you can afford its a bloody ripper well done!! b) if its the largest the shire will allow bloody beauty!! c) if your careful with tool selection being VERY realistic with regard needed space for working around each tool not just the space for the tool but work room walking room and manouvering room then it will be a great place to hide out in and it will be a rip snorter!

but!! dont expect to put those bloody great machines in there AND then put a bloody bar in there cause mate it isnt gonna be pleasant... ah buggar it! you aint gonna listen to an old phart from the west anyways... GO FOR BROKE!!

oooh damn!! :eek: I see you have!! :cool:

ooh and I bought the tools BEFORE I bought the shed and by the time I bought the shed my shed funds had dwindled... shoulda bought the shed first eh? brain phart by the old phart in the west :D

Righht... as for the dust unit... I went for the 4 bag job and a small shed behind the shed for it to live in (3x3mr elcheepo garden shed) a 44 gal collection unit that ducts to the shed large chips chunks fall to bottom of 44 and the lighter stuff to the bags also hidden in the smaller shed is the compressor with the air hose through the walls and hanging on internal wall of larger shed... presently waitin on the leccy to come and wire it in so I dont have to buggarise around going out to the other shed to turn the things on!!... am also working on putting the 4in main dust pipes along the roof line of the walls with short down pipes that will connect to the bendy pipes that will be permenantly connected to the machines with several reduced sized ones over the benches... Im presently looking into air filter systems for the roof.

Okay with your drawing up there you show something in front of the table saw W/B? assuming thats the work bench... and you say you do a lot of darksider stuff with handplanes and such thats great! gotta have a work bench... but what of that bloody great 21in bandsaw stuck over against the wall? will it be on a mobile base? what size timbers are you planning on running through it? which way is it facing? Do you KNOW that in THAT location it there be enough room for the largest peices you will throw through it? here Im only talking say a metre long peice is there a metre either side of the blade for the timber to pass through and then a stand either side to support it AND room for you to stand to feed it through? has the jointer enough room either end of the tables to take the longest peice you will put through it AND you to stand and feed it? what about cupboard space? fridge space? moaning chair space? future tool purchases? timber storage? semi completed projects? etc etc etc etc etc... just random thoughts mate... See when I bought the tools I gave some thought to in and out feeds but no thought to room that I may need standing there feeding the thing Im talking about the jointer!! now Im jammed against the wall so the jointer is out a metre so I can feed the thing and with the router table behind it Ive got to run the timber over the router table if its over 1 1/2mtrs long... which is the pits but see Im tryin to be positive here even though I may sound negative Im tryin to help you consider aspects of your tool purchases you may not have thought of and therefore you may not be able to change the shed but you may review your tool purchase proposals... now aint all that worthwhile? of course it is!! you can thank me later your shout!! :D

ahem I will now shut up and leave you alone to enjoy your new shed ;)

A192K
7th May 2006, 12:07 PM
gday shane
you make good points
just for your info i have a 6x6 garage which 3x3 will be for my tools assembly bench,ectectect
now i have built the shed and i am about to frame the inside before the sparky gets to wire it.
i have moved the band saw to the front of the shed,it will have a mobile base.as will all the machines,i posted earlier that i was unsure ,NOW IM SURE my shed is too small,but i only had 5.5 by 6.5 to erect a shed,i finished with one 3.960 by 6.0.so i have all i was ever gonna have
i will post some more photos below so you can see what im up to,

now while it appears small it is actually cosy,the thicknesser it mobile,as it the jointer.yes its big,but is same length as 8" with long bed.i will put a hole in the ply wall to accept the fence rail and by doing this the space is same as 8 '
my table saw is 80" wide including my router,which is where i will spend 80% of my actual cutting time.

i have shifted the band saw to a place at the beginning of the shed.so if i have to resaw i will need roller door open ,but so what ,im in SE QLD perfect one day ,so unlike melbourne the next,(lived there for 25 years)

so i am not bothered by lack of space i have a high ceiling and that gives a feeling of space.

the drill press will be up against the back wall and takes up hardly any space.(dont have one yet so not really a problem.)

i did want all dust collection underground but i see now that its impossible.

but 90% will be below slab

all power is concealed in conduit behind the ply walls

i have bought 7 double 36w flouros.i have ample power,

so all in all i feel my shed is like my office,the more space i have the more junk i put in it.

6x4 is a monster shed mate,(this is my cry

have a good day

Wild Dingo
8th May 2006, 11:21 AM
Okay no worries you have sorted yourself to the point of contentment and thats bloody important mate... its also good that youve put them onto mobile bases just the ticket
When mine went up instead of putting the rollerdoors on the long side as the plans showed we stuck one in the middle and put the other on the end this has worked brilliantly far better than if Id left it with both doors on the long side... effectively Ive ended up with one 3x6mtr area for benches and sundry tools while I have a 6x6 area for the larger tools location is and was very important as Id run out of $$ for any more purchases so things like mobile bases went out the door for a time... however with careful location of the machines the table saw on a slight angle with the incra fence ends in the corner and the thicknesser in the middle again on an angle facing both doors and the jointer along the other walls (made the bench same hight as the jointer without being aware of it... oh Im a shortass too which is why theyre low :) ) and the bandsaw in the middle of the shed... its the only way its been able to work... send the timber through one door (middle) through the machine out the other door (side)

Ive had to accept less than what I wanted due to land restraints before moving here so I understand. It will work out mate sorry if I was sounding totally negative just tryin to give an alterior perspective.

Now.... whatcha making?? ;) :cool:

A192K
19th May 2006, 09:36 PM
just a few photos to show some progress,my work is gettin in the way of my hobbies LOL

A192K
26th June 2006, 08:32 PM
Hi
for those interested in the progress of the shed here are some more pics,as work has been tough,i have had little time to acheive,im now ready to lay a proper floor and finish off the skirting,then i can put the machines in place and finish the duct work.
cheers

Wood Butcher
26th June 2006, 08:35 PM
Looks like it is going to be really nice inside when done. Look forward to the next series of pics!

RufflyRustic
27th June 2006, 10:01 AM
That's My Shed!!!! Well, maybe not;) but it's so close to what I want that it's great inspiration!! Love the progress shots and greatly appreciate the costings too.

Thanks!

Cheers
Wendy

A192K
27th June 2006, 09:18 PM
just a few more added photos
cheers

A192K
17th August 2006, 01:39 PM
1/2 the floor is done,just need the other 1/2 and a quick sand and the shed is ready for a final fit out
cheers

A192K
18th August 2006, 07:59 PM
here is the last pic of the floor

Harry72
18th August 2006, 09:52 PM
Anyone for a dance!

Looks good mate.