PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Re design

BarryBurgess
16th April 2006, 06:53 PM
I am using a WC as my router stand. I have modified the top extraction to use 100mm pipe with no lose of features from the original Triton version.
I have set a slot in front (see picture) to collect when trenching as the overhead collection does not work.
Below the table I also have a 100mm collection with a large collecting funnel
but dust is still a problem.
I cannot see a way of totally inclosing the below table collection and that is the main problem.
If I go for a Norm styled table I also have a number of limitations verses my Triton WC version.
- Using the WC fence I can have a maximum of 430mm behind the router bit - a big advantage as I don't have to fit the maxi extension table (setup time)
- The lack of a extension table
Any clever Aussie ideas to help me solve my dust problem?

Ivan in Oz
16th April 2006, 07:24 PM
:eek:
I am using a WC as my router stand. I
Any clever Aussie ideas to help me solve my dust problem?

What!!!!?????
You are using a Toilet as a Router Stand?

Actually,
If you required limited movement.......................:confused: :eek:

Just George
16th April 2006, 11:08 PM
The pictures are a little too little to see much detail...

BarryBurgess
16th April 2006, 11:41 PM
I have loaded larger pictures
Does this help George??

DPB
17th April 2006, 09:35 AM
Have you read this thread by Sturdee? http://tinyurl.com/ldnkl

Stuart
17th April 2006, 12:36 PM
The way you are going, you will soon have to replace your router, as the first one will have burnt out. See some posts by TritonJapan where some people over there have done exactly the same thing, and suffered the consequences of not ensuring a clean air supply to the router.

I have set up a full 4" dust collection from below the router table- the entire box was fitted around the base of the router, leaving the motor outside for clean air supply for cooling. It worked pretty well for dust collection, but it was very difficult to get it fitting around the router without loosing height adjustment, or leaving excessively large gaps, and it made removing the router next to impossible.

Don't think I ever took photos of it- I was never happy with the design, and have since totally dismantled the setup.

Just George
17th April 2006, 03:29 PM
I have loaded larger pictures
Does this help George??

Hell yeah...

BarryBurgess
18th April 2006, 06:13 PM
The way you are going, you will soon have to replace your router, as the first one will have burnt out. See some posts by TritonJapan where some people over there have done exactly the same thing, and suffered the consequences of not ensuring a clean air supply to the router.

Stuart Thats why I dropped the collection system to allow air to be drawn past the router. I first tried a mod similar to the WC with a bag and elastic around the very top of the router. I gave up on this because of the comments on airflow.
With the 4" collection point below the table the airflow is increased as air has to be drawn into the pipe.
A large number of people have built the Norm version that is enclosed in a cupboard and I know two people with them that use Dewalt 625 routers with no problems. Are yo saying this is a Triton problem?

BarryBurgess
18th April 2006, 06:24 PM
Have you read this thread by Sturdee? http://tinyurl.com/ldnkl

Yes many times and I have also discussed it with Sturdee.
His design does not allow the above table dust collection to work if the fence is remove which the original design does.
As I do not have a dado cutter with the Triton WC I use the router to do dados and rabbits which limits the above table dust collection hence the need to collect dust in front (left) of the trench.
I first used a mini cyclone (Sturdee) into a dust bucket with two leads to the router table - one below and one above the table - did not collect all the dust. Tried three connection but lost too much suction so I went to 4".
I am looking to make more inserts for the router bits to try to limit the amount of dust going below the table.

jow104
18th April 2006, 06:49 PM
How about blowing the dust out of your stand (through ducting) instead of extracting (sucking).

I have one of those blower/vacumn garden tools and often blow my garage clean. Perhaps if it was connected up to a router table designed as an enclosed box with pipework in and pipe work out it would satisfy your dust extraction needs, (help of course if your have the Triton respirator to muff the noise level;) )

BarryBurgess
18th April 2006, 07:43 PM
(help of course if your have the Triton respirator to muff the noise level;) )
As you well know the respirator is not sold in the UK by Triton as it does not have the CE mark.
I have to also use the garden blower to clean out the garage mainly from the router. Its too loud other than in short bursts.

Stuart
18th April 2006, 09:13 PM
Are yo saying this is a Triton problem?

As I said - read the posts by TritonJapan - he's the one with first-hand experience of people who have not allowed adequate clean air supply to their router.

No idea about other router brands - I don't own any. As a general comment though - if a router is expecting clean air, then dusty air will cause problems irrespective of brand.

In the case of your design, because you have allowed air to be drawn in from below the table, you shouldn't have any problem with dust and the router, but at the same time, your dust collection is relying on a combination of gravity, and hopefully the slight breeze in the gap encouraging dust in the right direction. People who have had a problem seem to have been fully sealing in the gaps, so the only air the router experiences is the dust ladened air from around the router bit. Great for dust removal, not so good for the router.

dohboy
18th April 2006, 10:16 PM
I know this may sound simplistic.... (I am a simple man - as I am constantly reminded...)

But has anyone expirimented with the Triton Router / RTA combination - and BLOWN air into the Router dust port - while SUCKING air into the dust guard on the table ???

I thought maybe the positive pressure under the table with negative pressure above may have improved collection (or at least spread it in a thinner layer - over a greater area!)

Dohboy

TritonJapan
19th April 2006, 08:37 AM
Wow!, Good thread.

It will be fantastic if we can come up with a do it yourself design that:

Captures maximum amount of dust
Provides adequate, clean air supply to the router
Allows easy access to Router switch, Height adjustment, Micro height adjustment, Height lock lever and speed control. Turret depth stop access may also be needed.

Ideally, the unit will be easy to attatch and remove, fold flat when not in use and be made from readily accessible and cheap materials, or be a cheap accessory from Triton.

Fantastic if the design could work for any make of router also.

Even better will be if the unit can deaden the sound of the router.

Given that most of us leave the router mounted permanently in the table, the ease of additon and removal would be low on my list of priorities.

Looking at it this way, a dust bag type material that is secured around the "head" of the router will give air intake and speed control access.

Choises seem to be to provide a number of sleeves to give individal access the the tool handle, switch etc, or to attach the dust collection "Bag" to the router, at the aluminimum/plastic junction, which will give access to everything but the turret depth stop.

Problem here is that this area winds down/up inside the clear safety area.

These could be removed, or modified.

I lke the idea of having the dust extraction coming from a hose attached to the current port on the router, as that is about as close to the bit as you are going to get.

Magnetic strips to attatch the bag to the under side of the table, or a circumferential attatchment that clamps around the base of the router. Moulded, or shaped fitting to go around the router body. Sleeve hole for dust hose to extraction point on the router.

Enough slack in the material to allow for full movement of the router.

Router would have to be switched through the dust extraction unit to avoid the router running without suction, otherwise a positive presure would build up and kill the router fairly quickly.

Hmmmmm.......

Tempted to offer a Plunge Drill to the best design, or one that makes it to production......

The bean counters would not allow that at the moment though...Sadly.

Just my thoughts, for what it is worth as I sit in a Dennys, somewhere north of Tokyo, waiting for the latest Joyful Honda to stock Triton to open up. Outside I see a stream of impenetrable traffic and inside I hear the sound of the waiter using an electric shaver in the kitchen.

In the lonely world of the travelling entrepenure, I really enjoy communicating through this forum.

Thanks!

Yesterday one of Japan's leading woodowrk magazines did a photo shoot for a 10 page spread on the Router table, finger jointer, biscuit joiner etc. They will also be shooting a DVD that will be free with the magazine. Would cost me close to $100K (Which I do not have) if I had to buy the coverage and DVD. Finally however the market here is realising that with some fairly basic equipment (Triton for example) a newly retired person can start a hobby at age 60 and get results that satisfy withouth having to spend 5 years learning highly skilled techniques.

Kindest regards from the land of the rising sun.

Thanks again!

Steve

Stuart
19th April 2006, 11:37 AM
こんにちはすべてを聞くことよいスティーブは日本によくあり、トリトンは強く行っている。私は棚に当るとき雑誌のコピーを愛する- 私はあなたからのコピーを頼むでしようか。 ビデオはいかにあなたが行くことを作っていたあるか。終わる私に近い推測しているあるなる! すべての最もよいスチュワート

doug the slug
19th April 2006, 11:47 AM
こんにちはすべてを聞くことよいスティーブは日本によくあり、トリトンは強く行っている。私は棚に当るとき雑誌のコピーを愛する- 私はあなたからのコピーを頼むでしようか。 ビデオはいかにあなたが行くことを作っていたあるか。終わる私に近い推測しているあるなる! すべての最もよいスチュワート

well said Stu, couldnt have said it better myself :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

TritonJapan
19th April 2006, 01:59 PM

Thank you for your kind words Stuart.....

I think your face is happy like the moon too!
No, you cannot marry my dog.
Sorry, I do not know why alphalpha cannot compete in the Olympics.

Glad to see your Japanese is coming along so well!

Steve

P.S. 雑誌は六月八日発売。もちろん,よろこんで送ります。

Stuart
19th April 2006, 04:57 PM
雑誌は六月八日発売。もちろん,よろこんで送ります。

Cool - much appreciated!!!

jow104
19th April 2006, 06:11 PM
I assume all Japanese are signwriters?:) ;) :)

Auld Bassoon
19th April 2006, 06:58 PM
Thank you for your kind words Stuart.....

I think your face is happy like the moon too!
No, you cannot marry my dog.
Sorry, I do not know why alphalpha cannot compete in the Olympics.

Glad to see your Japanese is coming along so well!

Steve

P.S. 雑誌は六月八日発売。もちろん,よろこんで送ります。

ROTFLMAO :D