PDA

View Full Version : different router bit Shank size

inferno6688
16th April 2006, 10:15 PM
Hey guys,

Dad recently brought me from overseas (Taiwan) a few router bits, but the shanks are either 5.97mm or 11.95mm (measured with my calipers)

my router, like most, takes 1/4" (6.35mm) and 1/2" (12.7mm) bits. I m able to get the 11.96mm ones to work ok, but not the 5.97mm bits they slipped out when i started cutting!!:eek:

I am just wondering are there any router out there that take these sized shanks?

:cool:

Wood Butcher
16th April 2006, 10:39 PM
Inferno, seems that you have some metric shank bits as opposed to the standard Imperial size. Contact your nearest decent woodwork supplies shop and ask for some metric (12mm and 6mm) colletts.

Shannon Nash
17th April 2006, 12:38 AM
Hitachi were very helpful a couple of years ago when I needed spare parts. They had 6mm, 6.35mm, 12mm and 12.7mm options. All were about $15. Hitachi sent me parts lists. Bunnings ordered them in via special orders desk.

SN

Bob38S
17th April 2006, 12:13 PM
Hey guys,

my router, like most, takes 1/4" (6.35mm) and 1/2" (12.7mm) bits. I m able to get the 11.96mm ones to work ok, but not the 5.97mm bits they slipped out when i started cutting!!:eek:

:cool:

Cease, desist, STOP using these bits until you get the correct collets - the mental image of a bit flying out while you are standing over it [in a table] or with the machine located in the region of your family jewels [if freehand] just does not bear thinking about.
If for some reason you can't get the correct collets then write them [bits] off to experience - it is just not worth it.
Just my thoughts,
Bob

inferno6688
17th April 2006, 02:15 PM
i sure have stopped using them!!

I'll have to try and track down the collets now.

are there any routers out there come with 6mm and 12mm collets as standard? or is Imperial the standard here in Aus?

Cheers guys

Bob38S
19th April 2006, 10:40 AM
To the best of my [non capital city] experience - all is imperial unless you ask - if you do often the answer is - Oh, we'll have to see if we can get that or Nuh, that's all we keep .....
If you check catalogs such as Timbecon/Carba-tec etc they all list imperial sizes - even the imported bits from Italy eg CMT.
I would certainly check out the costs of metric collets but I guess you need to look at 1 how many bits you have, 2 how often are you going to use them, 3 the cost of the collets, 4 how not to get them mixed up with your imperial bits.
I presume you will end up getting more bits so #4 could be a real problem.
You said in your original post that you had a few bits - are they Tungsten Carbide or HSS? How many is a few? Do you really need to go down this track?
Regards,
Bob