PDA

View Full Version : Do You Recognize What This Is Please?

Metal Head
17th April 2006, 12:36 AM
Hi,

I just started a thread in the Structure section which I didn't place this query in. However, this item is attached to the rear of the house and I was wondering what it was?. I thought it might have been part of a homemade washing line set up but I doubt it:(.

I would appreciate any replies.

Cheers
David

NewLou
17th April 2006, 12:38 AM
Looks like something to do with a power cable to me..........................Be careful

REgards Lou

DanM
17th April 2006, 12:39 AM
Is the wheel (sheeve block) made of ceramics? if so i rekon electrics.

China
17th April 2006, 12:57 AM
Definitly a insulater for mounting overhead power line to my knowlge they are pretty well obsolete

vsquizz
17th April 2006, 12:59 AM
It was probably power for an out building...and hey...they are far from obsolete....some of us poor soles still have above ground power ya know:p

Wood Butcher
17th April 2006, 09:25 AM
It is a terminal block for an overhead power line. The tapered metal bit on the side is used to clamp the cable to avoid tension being put on the connection. Its obvious thats its not used anymore cause there is no cable connected to it. Just check where the power cable goes to your house anyway but I would just take it off. Not sure if the bolt are bolted through the wall or if they have used coach screws. May have to get the grinder out!

Metal Head
18th April 2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks lads for all the replies much appreciated as always. I will have a look at taking it off tomorrow if the rain (that is predicted) stays away. Hopefully it is not connected to the electricity supply:eek: otherwise you will have to start a R.I.P. thread!!.

Cheers
David

Simomatra
18th April 2006, 07:40 PM
Definitely the the ceramic bobin is the securing point for the electric cable and the metal part is the part that fits to the cable as the restrainer.

It is a very old method of connecting overhead cables to the facia board

Cheers Sam

Simomatra
18th April 2006, 07:43 PM
Continued . The fitting can be removed no longer oin use just remove the coach bolts or throught bolts. This is a strainer no power is connected

Cheers Sam

Ashore
18th April 2006, 07:57 PM
It is a very old method of connecting overhead cables to the facia board

Old method .. well I guess you would know all about them then.
:D :D
Sorry Sam couldn't help myself, will try to have an Old red waiting in August

Rgds
Russell

Simomatra
18th April 2006, 08:02 PM
Old method .. well I guess you would know all about them then.
:D :D
Sorry Sam couldn't help myself, will try to have an Old red waiting in August

Rgds
Russell

Thanks Russel:)

Yes old they are just loke me. Mind you there are probably plenty of these still in use today this one is not in operation:p :p

Look forward to a good drop of Hunter Red;)

Cheers Samhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif