PDA

View Full Version : Lemons

Speanwoody
17th April 2006, 07:50 AM
Hi, I am new to wood turning and wood like to turn a lemon, with the pith markings etc, can anybody offer any advice on how to do this and what tool you would use to create the orange peel effect, many thanks

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th April 2006, 01:30 PM
I've turned apples & grapes, but I can't say I've ever thought about lemons!

I think the way I'd go about it is to rough it down to near finished, then use a hammer & rounded punch to texture it. Depending on how deeply the punch marked, I'd either turn it down a bit more or proceed straight to a gentle hand sand to smooth it out a bit.

If you carefully removed the little star-shaped bit (where the stem attaches) from a real lemon, it should be a simple matter to drill a small hole ion the end of the blank and glue it in place. That's sorta what I do with my grapes, except using real stems. :)

black1
17th April 2006, 01:36 PM
let me spaypaint it and you will get orange peel every time. lol

skot
17th April 2006, 05:18 PM
I haven't tried this but have an idea...If you have one of those spinning honing tools that flatten your Grinder Wheel face, you could try that against the spinning Lemon...just a thought

scooter
17th April 2006, 08:42 PM
let me spaypaint it and you will get orange peel every time. lol
You & me both, black :(

Skot may be onto something, what about doing the same as he suggests, but use a pouncing wheel, which is a pricker wheel used by dressmakers.

Timber would have to be fairly soft, though.

Cheers.............Sean

Mirboo
17th April 2006, 11:34 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&p=32508&cat=1,330,49233&ap=1

You could try one of these. I've never used one and I know bugger all about turning but the blurb claims that it can be used for creating orange peel texture.

Regards,
Mirboo.

Wood worrier
18th April 2006, 02:40 AM
You might try the Sorby texturing tool, a bit pricey but it works pretty good on harder woods (needs some practice to master though).

Nick

sab
19th April 2006, 03:46 AM
since we are talking about lemons,
this is a little off subject but i noticed that turning and working with oak and other woods like Walnut and cherry seem to have a chemical (tannin?) that makes my hands turn a little purple or blue.

i noticed that lemon juice makes this go away.

am i crazy?
or is this a real phenonomonm

Speanwoody
19th April 2006, 07:12 AM
Many thanks for the tips, a bit pricey the robert sorby tool, may look into if my mate who has an engineering shop can rattle me some thing up, thanks again for your thoughts

Nuggett
19th April 2006, 05:04 PM
You wouldn't be taking the pith!!

RETIRED
21st April 2006, 10:11 PM
since we are talking about lemons,
this is a little off subject but i noticed that turning and working with oak and other woods like Walnut and cherry seem to have a chemical (tannin?) that makes my hands turn a little purple or blue.

i noticed that lemon juice makes this go away.

am i crazy? You must be, you are still here.:D
or is this a real phenonomonmIt works to a certain extent which is why most modern hand cleaners are citrus based. I still like petro-chemical based ones but it's not enviromentally friendly.

The black is the tannin in the dust reacting with the sweat (sorry, perspiration). Aussie hardwoods are notorious for it.