PDA

View Full Version : age to start on lathe

lubbing5cherubs
18th April 2006, 08:25 PM
HI What age would you consider a good age to learn on the lathe? I have two 11 year old that wants to learn the lathe. We are wondering at what age do you think would be appropiate to start on a lathe?
I look forward to your reply
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th April 2006, 08:40 PM
Under constant, competent supervision, I'd say 9-11 is ideal. Old enough to be able to understand the reasons behind why things are done the way they are, young enough to not yet have the 'teen attitude.

I've been teaching a 13yo on weekends for the last year or so and he's just beginning to get on my nerves... :rolleyes: Part of it is other things are taking his interests, he is growing up after all :D and part of it is he's starting to show the "knowitall's."

But even if he goes his own way, he knows enough to be safe if/when he ever takes up turning again.

ss_11000
18th April 2006, 08:41 PM
let them at it!!!!!if they want to have a go start em on something small and access (is that how u spell it?) there confidence and then decide what to do with em.

i was 13 wen i learnt but would have loved to learn earlier.........people as young as 11 were allowed to use one in year 7 ww....its just unfortunate i was in the class with the teacher who didn't let us use lathes.

Stuart
18th April 2006, 09:24 PM
HI What age would you consider a good age to learn on the lathe? I have two 11 year old that wants to learn the lathe. We are wondering at what age do you think would be appropiate to start on a lathe?
I look forward to your reply
Toni When they are old enough to show an interest and ask. If they are mature enough to maintain concentration on what they are doing, they are old enough to work on something that has some hazards, with supervision of course.

I know some 7 yr olds who are mature enough to handle the responsibility, and some 30 yr olds that are not.

And as others have said, it is a matter of scale- crawling before walking, walking before running etc.

tunnel
18th April 2006, 09:48 PM
wat 11yo i was 9 when my grandpa let me use his and as he told my mum the right age to start is as soon as they ask go for it

bsrlee
18th April 2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah - you may have missed the boat there a bit - I think I was around 9 or 10 when my Grandfather let me have a go of his lathe. Of course I am a lot out of practice now, and I have only just purchased my own lathe & I am still setting it up to use, getting sharpening gear etc.

lubbing5cherubs
18th April 2006, 11:30 PM
Thanks for your reply. We were in mixed emotions. We decided it was ok but grandparents were telling us too dangerous. So we are going ot give them a try which timber would you say would be best to start them off with.
bye Toni

ss_11000
18th April 2006, 11:39 PM
a softwood.....probably green cos its easier to turn.......dont get them to make any thing from green timber though, just see what they can do and how confident they are

lubbing5cherubs
18th April 2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks Sterlo
Toni

ss_11000
18th April 2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks Sterlo
Toni
no probs

soundman
20th April 2006, 02:44 PM
We're talkin about a kid that lives at winton right?

Can you trust this kid on a good horse?
Is he ok with a sharp knife in the kitchen?
Is he ok with dogs & snakes & barbed wire fences?

If yes then

He should be fine on a lathe with proper instruction.
With respect a lathe is much safer than many other power tools.

cheers

dazzler
20th April 2006, 09:01 PM
My 10 yo uses mine with limited supervision. I tend to hover around keeping an eye open.

If you think about it thier a lot safer than riding a bike , maybe a cut or a bruise but thats a lot less than getting hit by a car.:mad:

And better than the bloody mall!:rolleyes:

woodtosser
21st April 2006, 12:51 AM
My 10y/o is to learn the basics of turning these holidays. He knows some wood work basics and has own bench etc but has thus far deemed to pull apart everything in sight including things still in operation. close call for the angle grinder.:eek:

Wood worrier
21st April 2006, 03:46 AM
I've been teaching a youngster since he was 9, now 11. With good supervision they develop at an alarming rate - another year or so and I'll be the student!:rolleyes:

rond
24th April 2006, 09:09 AM
:( I agree with SS11000 wish when I was 11 someone took the time to teach me. Now as an 'Oldie' I am having a battle to keep my brain and hands coordinating. :D

:) Always encourage the 'Youngies':)

PAH1
24th April 2006, 09:24 AM
I have two four year olds and I have held them up while I was doing some things to have a go. At 11, I could drive just about anything, I think that I will have a hard time keeping my two away that long.

LuckyDuck
24th April 2006, 04:13 PM
I learned to use the lathe when I was 10 years old, which seems to be OK for the other posts. My two bits worth is to suggest/ask? whether it is a good idea to use the overlong handles we find in highschools. While such long handled lathe tools do help younger (and presumably weaker) people to keep in control of tools while in use, they tend to be awkward and somewhat combersome. What do others think?

Regards

lubbing5cherubs
14th May 2006, 08:37 PM
All three of my daughters have now turned a pen each. the older 2 have done 2 now. We are all learning it is good fun
Toni

ss_11000
14th May 2006, 09:06 PM
thats good to hear....did they enjoy it enough to make more?

lubbing5cherubs
14th May 2006, 09:42 PM
[quote=ss_11000]thats good to hear....did they enjoy it enough to make more?[/quote

Oh Yes we have arguments in our house who turn it is. They tell me they want there own for christmas....:eek: what have I started LOL
Toni

ss_11000
14th May 2006, 10:28 PM
well, buy another one:D :D ;)

lubbing5cherubs
14th May 2006, 11:23 PM
well, buy another one:D :D ;)
Sweetie in my house that is 2. They are twins. I got to do everything in double..Joys of doubles.
Toni:D :eek:

soundman
14th May 2006, 11:30 PM
Twinns..... quantity purchasing power.:D