PDA

View Full Version : Fear... its good right?

Wild Dingo
18th April 2006, 11:26 PM
So Ive been muckin about of an on over the last few months with the new lathe... just blundering along learnin by doin and reading the wee book of chingaleeze that came with it and a book on turnin I bought... Ive made several peices using the between centres method... good feelin I can tell you specially when that chunk of Tuart turned out so nice :cool:

So anyway I went out there yesty and with trusty chainsaw in hand cut a few chunks of the logs in the humpyhoochy... a few Marri a couple of Karri a few of Banksia and a couple of Plum biggest were the Marri and Karri that ranged in size from 10in across to 17in across... but I thought Id go with the Banksia to start with :cool:

So I took the face plate thing and with a couple of screws attached it to the blank... I wonder now was I meant to take the bark of before I started?... Anyway I set it to the lathe set the stand to face it... was it meant to be on an angle to the face of the wood or straight on?... anyways I fronted up daring as ever... standing as far away as is possible and still reaching the flip switch to turn it on then turn the wee knob to set the speed to going... whaaahoooooooo it stays on!!! No flashing belting rending of wood on bone (mine) no banging crashing of wood on shed walls and roof...

"ahso" I think to myself "the screw idea worked" :cool: and grabbing a deep deep breath of curage I reach into the box and grasp the gouge... and hefting it I say a small prayer to the gods of pain "please leave me whole please return me in one peice and let only the timber be changed" and with that done I lay the chisel on the stand and slowly move it forward... oh I will add here that I was wearing my "woodenboat" apron and my face shield which also means I was wearing my bifocals thankfully... and touched the steel to the wood

"aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhshyte!!" I hurriedly took two steps back and three to the side and glared at the chisel... mmmm still in my hand thats cool... glare at the piece of wood still whirrin like some sort of demented headless chook so I tentatively step back and face up again double dose of deep breath and set gouge to stand again slowly Shane slowly "chunk chip chunk chunk" "aaaaaaaahhhhhhh that cant be (*^*&%(%*^&%$(*& right!"

So I reach over and turn the power down then flip the switch off and watch the peice slowly come to a stop

Whew... gawd that was aweinspiring stuff!!!... fear the great sphicturepuckerupper of men ;)

So after it had stopped completely I put the gouge back in its slot and tentatively wandered over and looked at the peice... innocent looking buggar it was... Id done well mates... so well Id taken ooooh all of 3/8ths of bark of it!!!

Man its different to between centres turning!! :o

So someone tell me was that normal for faceplate turning? Was I on the right track or way off base? Was I meant to somehow use the supanova thingy I bought but have never used... since I cant friggin work it out :rolleyes: yep it seems to be one of those things that create within me a radical brain phart and so a duuhhh hour or so happens until I shove it back in its drawer and ignore it... Im seriously and I do mean seriously contemplating going to the local lathe woodturners group an gettin some friggin lessons on this weapon... eeer tool ;)

I will reset it up again if needed and take some pics if required but I will need to remove the 30in peice of 4x4 Tuart that Im arguin with presently (was going to be a tables centre leg but its starting to seriously begin to look like firewood in desguise:rolleyes:

Cheers

ss_11000
18th April 2006, 11:37 PM
lessons sounds good

Cliff Rogers
18th April 2006, 11:48 PM
Hey Shane, pack up all the good bits that ya don't want to bugrup & send em over to me, I'll bugrup for ya & ya won't loose any skin or sleep. ;)

black1
18th April 2006, 11:49 PM
dont know much about turning but some one left tis as a reply to my first post . have a look at the clubs link as ther is one in bunbury . "Have a look at the WA Woodturners Association web-site: http://www.wawa.com.au (http://www.wawa.com.au/) "

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th April 2006, 01:01 AM
You done good. Fear is healthy when yer got lumps of wood whizzing around at high speed; it keeps yer fingers in one piece and yer head on yer shoulders. :D And yes, that's normal for faceplate turning... and with a chuck to some degree. It helps a LOT of you can not only balance the wood but cut it round on a bandsaw or something before turning it.

I hate to "jump on the band-wagon" but lessons, or inviting a mate who knows how to use a lathe over for a beer or six, would be pretty damned good idea. ;)

sab
19th April 2006, 03:57 AM
I learned remove the tool rest when sanding. Especially on small pieces, it is tempting to leave it in place but it is too easy to get caught between the rest and the revolving work piece.

is the a correct thing to do?

also, it seems to be easier to cut with the grain of the wood than aginst the grain of the wood,

i had a piece of stock fly off of the lathe and smash on the wall.
it tore off of three 2 inch screws and embedded itself in the track of the garage door,

i think it was because i was cutting the grain in the wrong direction,
i had the spindle in the center ring of the log.
or my tools were not sharp
or a combination of all of the above.

how do you tell which way to mount your stock?
are my surmises close or am i way off base?

Hickory
19th April 2006, 05:30 AM
Man has not lived until he has danced a spinning bowl across the floor a time or two. Just Sunday evening, I was working on a large Cherry Salad Bowl when I grabbed a "Catch" (I hate it when I do that) and broke loose the connection between the sacrifice piece and the bowl at the faceplate (I use a paper glue joint where I glue the paper to the screw piece and glue the work piece to the papered piece. It usually works fine but this time it failed. ) Back at the story.... The bowl was 1/2 done and close to the bottom when I reached too far before changing the tool rest (My own faught) Clank, Bang, spin, Turn and a dose-E-doe and the big ole chunk was lots of chunks as I stood there, hands to the side, head bowed (can't recall exactly what I said but it must have been pretty bas as SHMBO called down to see what had happened.

For sale cheap, Big Cherry Ashtray.... "Natural Edges"

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 10:32 AM
My advice Mr Dingo.

1. Be familiar with the tool. I have learnt a lot without lessons, but lessons sure do help. You can also become familiar through watching at wood shows and books and videos etc.

2. Go slow on the lathe, it is less scary. Turn up the speed once things make a bit more sense and you feel safer.

3. Use a heavy gouge for roughing - the heavier, the better at withstanding bumps.

4. Go slow on the gouge - meaning only take off a little at a time. While roughing, DON'T push the tool in, just let the wood come along and get cut.

5. While you are first getting used to the faceplate and/or chuck, use a tail stock. I still often use a tail stock on piece I don't trust. It is a LOT safer. Basically, why not use a tailstock unless you are actually working the end and can't use it...

I hope this helps. Oh, and when you are no longer afraid - that is when you cut yourself... :(

Cheers

Cam

Andy Mac
19th April 2006, 11:07 AM
My advice Mr Dingo.

5. While you are first getting used to the faceplate and/or chuck, use a tail stock. I still often use a tail stock on piece I don't trust. It is a LOT safer. Basically, why not use a tailstock unless you are actually working the end and can't use it...

I agree with Cam, it is safer to use the tailstock, especially to get the thing roughed out and balanced. Even for the roughing out of the hollow in a bowl. Then take it away to do the final bit, taking out the centre.
Mind you, I'm not an experienced turner, having only made about 10 bowls and the like, mostly spindle turning for me.

Cheers,

silentC
19th April 2006, 11:55 AM
I beg to differ - and this argument has been had before - but one thing you do NOT want to have when working with machinery is fear. What you want is respect. There is a difference. If you tentatively poke your roughing gouge at a flailing bit of wood, with your weight all on your back foot getting ready to drop it and run, then you are asking for trouble, but if you do it confidently with the knowledge of the correct stance and technique and the respect you should have for anything that spins at more than a few RPM with a great lump of wood on it, you will be OK.

It's just my opinion but you know I am right ;)

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 12:36 PM
OK Silent if you want to be a pedant, maybe it should read - "Fear of what the machine can do".

Also, there is a difference between cowardice and fear, much as there is between bravery and not being afraid.

Cowardice is letting the fear control you.

Fear is a healthy knowledge of what can go wrong and desperately not wanting it to go wrong.

Bravery is acknowledging fear and overcoming it.

Not being afraid is usually a good way to tell the sane from the insane.

As for stance etc. well that comes under knowing the tool. You know that things can go wrong, but you also know that if you don't do things properly (and this often involves overcoming fear) then you won't get it to work and it will actually be more dangerous.

For instance, I am afraid that the blank will come off, so I use the tailstock, or go slowly, or both, or thinking of another way of doing things etc...

Of course, "it's just my opinion, but you know I am right." ;) :p Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

JDarvall
19th April 2006, 12:41 PM
It's just my opinion but you know I am right ;)

your right alright. I agree. Respect is definetly a better word. I suppose, fear and respect do have a common meaning as well though....and that is

be careful.

it ant knitting .

silentC
19th April 2006, 12:46 PM
No, if you think I am being pedantic, you have entirely missed my point.

Fear: noun 1. a painful feeling of impending danger, evil, trouble, etc.; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
2. a specific instance of such a feeling.
3. anxiety; solicitude.

Fear is to be afraid of something. You do not want to be afraid of a machine. If you are afraid of it, you should stay away from it.

You are afraid of being eaten by a great white shark, so you do not go swimming with one. If you conquer your fear of a shark, you do not forget what it can do to you, but you respect it and you understand the risk you take when you get in the water with it.

We have had this discussion before in relation to tablesaws. Fear is not an attitude you want to adopt when using one. Neither do you want to rush in blind to the dangers. What you want is an awareness of the things that can go wrong and the confidence to avoid them.

Fear is a negative emotion which causes people to be tentative about the way they approach things. You need to be committed, not reluctant. Respect is positive. It tells you that you don't take the risks for granted but that you know what they are.

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 03:22 PM
Yep.

You say potato...

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think that fear is necessarily the wrong word.

Sourced from dictionary.com

1. a) A feeling of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger.
b) A state or condition marked by this feeling: <CITE>living in fear.</CITE>
2. A feeling of disquiet or apprehension: <CITE>a fear of looking foolish.</CITE>
3. Extreme reverence or awe, as toward a supreme power.
4. A reason for dread or apprehension: <CITE>Being alone is my greatest fear.</CITE>

I would say that definitions 2 and 3 sound reasonable to me. Disquiet or apprehension, i.e. this is what makes you alert. Reverence as toward a supreme power, like something that might throw heavy stuff at you.

I know exactly what you are saying, but I still don't think that using the word fear is necessarily wrong. As I said before, conquering the fear doesn't make it go away. Why do you respect the shark? Because you fear what it can do.

Also, you are defining fear as a negative emotion that causes people to be tentative and reluctant. Fear can also be thought of as a positive emotion that makes us evaluate what we are doing and then if we are resolute in our wish to do things, you proceed surely, not tentatively or reluctantly - even though you may fear the outcomes.

I think the problem here is that you define fear as an emotion that hampers ability - I don't, I prefer to define it more broadly than that. This also allows the use of terms such as "debilitating fear," which is in common usage, yet would be superfluous under your definition.

To me that makes more sense as fear is something that is a simple evolutionary tool that most (all?) sentient beings develop to keep themselves alive. Thus, it is positive from its conception. BUT, let's say I have a fear of sharks, then I see my girlfriend in the water being attacked (or just about to be attacked or whatever) by a shark. I might fear the shark, but that wouldn't stop me from jumping in to try to save her. If I had a debilitating fear it might though - and I certainly don't think that using a tool of which you have a phobia is a good idea...

Looking forward to the return volley...

{Thread successfully hijacked - although there are some useful tips further up the post}

<THREAD post the up further tips useful some were there although - hijacked successfully>

silentC
19th April 2006, 03:35 PM
It's as simple as this. Fear = afraid. If you are afraid of something you should stay away from it. We can debate the meaning of the word all day long but the fact remains that coming from a position of fear for a machine is not a good starting point. When you learn to respect something WITHOUT fearing it (and that's the biggy that we are having trouble getting over here) then you can approach it confidently. The way to do that is to learn about the risks and how to counter them. To learn what to expect.

Fear is irrational, not in the sense that it is irrational to fear something, but in the sense that a person motivated by fear is not rational about making decisions or taking actions. People do things when motivated by fear that they would not do otherwise. I have seen people hurt themselevs or others because they have been afraid and something has startled them.

Sure there are degrees of fear. You can be a little bit afraid, or you can be paralysed by fear and everything in between. It doesn't change the meaning of the word. It is a negative emotion in the same way that happiness is a positive one. Hapiness might make you do dumb things too I suppose but for a different and opposite reason.

To me that makes more sense as fear is something that is a simple evolutionary tool that most (all?) sentient beings develop to keep themselves alive.
You are talking about fear in the sense of the basic fight and flight response. I don't think either of these reactions is a good one to be considering when approaching a spinning chunk of wood armed only with a skinny bit of metal in your hand.

It's humorous to think of it that way, and perhaps that's the angle that Dingo was coming from. I don't know. All I know is that if I was afraid of doing something in my shed, I would reconsider doing it at all.

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 03:52 PM
OK. The fight or flight analogy ain't quite what I was aiming for...

I don't know what Dingo was feeling, but I do know what I feel. I don't feel exactly afraid, but I suppose I fear what the machine can do. Same as I fear what a bandsaw can do, and a buffer and a belt sander and a power saw and...

It is this fear that makes me think twice about holding something in my fingers too close to the bandsaw blade. It keeps me aware and awake.

I think that your final statement is exactly spot on - fear makes you consider what you are doing.

As for fear being a necessarily negative emotion, you can't compare it with happiness and the two aren't antonyms. Happy and sad are opposites.

Fearing and fearless are opposites and I would argue that neither is essentially positive or negative.

Finally, I will award you that I am more standing my ground as saying that just because you are apprehensive about something, it doesn't mean you should avoid it - it just means that you should consider if you really want to do it. If you fear it to the extent that you freeze up - well, then stay away from it.

Basically, don't be afraid of fear, it is a natural and useful response that helps you identify danger. Power tools (and quite a hand tools) can be dangerous if used improperly. Yet, once you are comfortable that you know how to handle the tool, even though you might still be afraid of what it can do, if you are confident that you know what to expect and how to avoid problems, then don't let your fear of possible (if very unlikely) outcomes stop you.

Lignum
19th April 2006, 04:06 PM
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - Roosevelt.

silentC
19th April 2006, 04:07 PM
Wasn't giving happiness as an antonym, just as an example of a positive emotion. Nobody ever did anything good out of fear, unless it was a coincidence!!

I'm afraid that I'm in an argumentative mood today and I fear I may never give in :D

I'd also argue that happy and sad are not polar opposites any more than love and hate are. But that's so far off topic it's on another planet.

Have no fear!! Show no mercy!! Give no quarter!!

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 04:12 PM
I was wondering if you would mention that about happy vs sad... I am undecided on that (although I would say that love and hate aren't opposites).

I'd say that staying alive would be a good thing... Also, fear of retribution might stay a violent action... :p

I reckon that I am in an argumentative mood too! That being said, I am always happy to hear the other side of an argument, but also always happy to carry on an argument :D (so long as it doesn't get nasty or personal at which point it stops being fun). :(

Anyway, I have thoroughly enjoyed this little stoush (even if you did come to it primed from the table saw debate - which I didn't ever see). :p

Cam

JDarvall
19th April 2006, 04:13 PM
I spose also......being brave = is doing something you fear.

So, if fears no good at the lathe, braverys definetly no good either, right ?

So, probably just respecting it while gritting your teeth and clenching your butts the way to go.....with a lot of squinting....squintings always good.

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 04:21 PM
'Corse squinting is good!! It keeps the sawdust out of your eyes. :D

silentC
19th April 2006, 04:23 PM
fear of retribution might stay a violent action.
Yes but that would be a coincidental side effect of the REAL motivation - self preservation. ;)

I hold my breath when I'm cutting fibro with a power saw. Is that similar to squinting?

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 04:29 PM
I'll give you that.

Also, I guess that holding your breath is near enough to count. ;)

JDarvall
19th April 2006, 05:20 PM
Yes but that would be a coincidental side effect of the REAL motivation - self preservation. ;)

I hold my breath when I'm cutting fibro with a power saw. Is that similar to squinting?

Not entirely I think. But your on the right track. Squinting is really a study in itself. Still not fully understood in this day and age.

And you mustn't get it confused with holding your breath. But squinting is very important I think. From what I've read, you shouldn't do it while you hold your breath. Do one or the other Silent ! Not both ....veeeery important.

But you can grit your teeth, clench your butt cheeks, and squint at the same time. All men are pretty good at that.......but like I said before don't add into the mix 'holding your breath'..... You'll implode. Trust me. Thats Not good.

silentC
19th April 2006, 05:22 PM
What if you can breathe through your ears? Not that I can, but I've heard that some people can :D

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 05:24 PM
Looks liek I've been told! :D

As for breathing through your ears, well, that isn't exactly holding your breath is it?

Also, wouldn't your ear drums get in the way?

:confused:

JDarvall
19th April 2006, 05:29 PM
What if you can breathe through your ears? Not that I can, but I've heard that some people can :D

:mad: ....Listen mate !!!! .... I've had 30 years experience in human maneurisziisums with a masters in Squinting. I should KNOW whats what!...damit.... I was just trying to help.......so don't take the !

breathing through the ears !!! .....bloody hell ....I don't have time for this..:mad:

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 05:33 PM
Gees! You have got him going Silent. I will leave this one to you! :p

Wild Dingo
19th April 2006, 09:57 PM
Holey snappin prawnshells tonto!! :eek:

Man I wasnt expectin that sorta response! Whew!! :o

So... fear... in the context Ive used it is more from the novice and here Im talking novice in extremus... a novice with no knowledge or experience other than as said the knowledge gained from the book and chingalese handbook and the experience gained over recent months by gatherin me gronicles in me hand me heart in me gob and havin a go... trepidation? anxiety? stress? gawdalmightydontfrigginhurtme fear?

Yes fear and trepidation mixed with anxiety and stress to bring myself to a position where I have checked everything as much as is possible and now there is nothing to do but face it

Of course fear! But the debilitating cant move wont do it sort of fear? No because if it were that deep seated fear then I wouldnt have even turned the blasted machine on in the first place!!

I dont know shyte about this machine other than what Ive read and horror stories Ive heard and had told to me of chisels flying out of hands into heads of shirts being caught in the spinning peice and ripping hands into the work of peices flying off and belting the user in the head chest gronicles or any other soft human part it can find of chisels embedding themselves into walls and machinery... that sort of thing :rolleyes:

I love the results Ive so far achieved without any assistance or help from anyone else :cool: ... between centres!... nothing special a small turned purfume holder of Huon Pine for the 12 year old a 28in turned leg of 3x3 Tuart done simply out of boredom and to see what it would look like turned and a few peices of nothing in particular just to play with it to do something with it to get a feel for it... So what Im now wanting to do is the face plate turning that I was attempting... but thats it! thats my total life experience I have with this thing I never played with one at school nor in my working life

It was a tool Ive always admired and loved the results Ive seen come from it and its therefore a machine I wanted to learn... still do... but I have little time for groups and get togethers I tend to be a bit of a loner in life always have been probably always will be... so I dont tend to join groups.... I also dont have a lot of time to join and participate with group activities ergo I do most things I do with a determination to learn by doing

What I can NOW see with this machine is the need to learn the processes... learn slowly and carefully from those who do know what theyre doing which will therefore go against my normal tendancies and mean I will have to at least meet a group so I can tap that knowledge... I dont look forward to it as I said Im not good with groups... again another aspect of "fear" I suppose but one that can be overcome without to many dramas... while the "fear" of the lathe I can see becomeing such that one could get seriously turned away from if one doesnt gain confidence and assurance that theyre on the right track with what theyre doing... now if I could find one person male or female who is a turner who would be prepared to come to my shed and play with my new machine and show me what to do and how its done Id gladly consider a carton as fair exchange for their time say a few hours a week personal one on one... ooh and they may keep anything they make while I supply timber and tools :cool:

I like to do as Ive always done in 49 years of life and that is to take myself and teach myself as much as I can what I want to learn and normally I have no difficulties with doing so... however the lathe "bothers" me due mostly to all the above a healthy dose of fear incompassing deep respect for the potential for disaster that its capable of and not wanting to be a recipient of said disaster

But brother I sure wasnt expecting the discussion thats eventuated!! Thanks to all Cam Apricot and Silent in particular ;)

black1
19th April 2006, 10:09 PM

only if i had a 10 inch tongue!!!!! lol
I once cut my hand on a 15 inch circ saw, got the mangled fingers to prove. I dont fear the saw but i now remember what the F##k im doing on the bloody thing. :cool:
think safe be safe. lol just ask thinksafe sam.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th April 2006, 11:59 PM
now if I could find one person male or female who is a turner who would be prepared to come to my shed and play with my new machine and show me what to do and how its done Id gladly consider a carton as fair exchange for their time say a few hours a week personal one on one... ooh and they may keep anything they make while I supply timber and tools :cool:

That's what I'd be lookin' at. I don't have much time for clubs either, social chit-chat bores me. When I ask "how ya doin?" I expect a "fine" in return. Not a bloody blow by blow rundown of yer schedule for the last week and the doc's opinion on yer bunions. :rolleyes: People tend to get upset when I wander away in mid-blah. Why pay club dues for that?

I've been lucky enough to find a club where the socialising comes after the doing, but that's a rarity nowadays.

Pity yer a bit further away than just down the block, else I'd be on yer doorstep, complainin' about yer brand of beer. ;)

Waldo
20th April 2006, 12:38 AM
breathing through the ears !!!

G'day,

It's something to consider though, if you could breath through your ears you could drink more, coz you only stop drinking your ale to take a breath don't you? :D

But don't drink and turn, it'd be blinkin' dangerous. ;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th April 2006, 12:41 AM
But don't drink and turn, it'd be blinkin' dangerous. ;)

Nar. But you spill too much... my tinnies keep falling off the lathe. :(

Waldo
20th April 2006, 12:47 AM
G'day Skew,

An ale or two on my behalf sometime on account of a lathe seems to be the only fair thing hey?

You need a bigger tool rest my friend, then it wouldn't fall off. Benches are good for it I hear.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th April 2006, 12:58 AM
You really know the meaning of fear when you're in the middle of a delicate cut and just catch a glance of your tinny starting to topple over the edge.

Respect be damned. :rolleyes:

silentC
20th April 2006, 09:27 AM
But brother I sure wasnt expecting the discussion thats eventuated!!
Yeah, it was a slow day yesterday ;)

CameronPotter
20th April 2006, 09:58 AM
Dingo,

If you were around, I would be more than happy to lend a hand, but you aren't... Sorry. I am sure that there is probably someone who could give you a hand though.

As for your beer problem Skew...

1. Tinnies are awful, get stubbies like a real beer drinker.

2. You have a lathe, turn a few cup holders and glue them in various places around the workshop.

3. Invest in some rags to put over the top to stop wood shavings infiltrate your beer...

Sorted. :D

Cam

silentC
20th April 2006, 10:16 AM
Get one of those beer hats with the cup holders on either side and the plastic tube straw.

Maybe that's the answer for Dingo - bit of the old Dutch courage? ;)

NOTE: This post does not advocate the consumption of alcohol whilst operating machinery.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th April 2006, 10:47 AM
1. Tinnies are awful, get stubbies like a real beer drinker.

2. You have a lathe, turn a few cup holders and glue them in various places around the workshop.

3. Invest in some rags to put over the top to stop wood shavings infiltrate your beer...

1. Bare feet, machinery, beer & glass don't mix. Besides, can't chugalug a stubby and toss the evidence quick enough when I hear SWMBO opening the shed door. :o:D

2. Tried that, they fill up with shavings. Even tried making ones with hinged tops to prevent point 3, but reply 1 gets in the way then :rolleyes:

3. It's a workshed fer chrissake. Who has enough rags? And the ones I can spare, well... I'd rather some shavings in the beer than metho, thinners or oil. At least I can filter shavings through the face fuzz.

Get one of those beer hats with the cup holders on either side and the plastic tube straw.

Arrrgh! My secret is out! You've discovered the real reason behind my aversion to Triton respirators. BTW, the correct name is "custom earmuffs."

:D:D

CameronPotter
20th April 2006, 10:55 AM
Bare feet!?! Around machinery!?! Don't you understand any of the basic precepts of safety!?! Now repeat after me...

"I will wear thongs in the shed." :p

As for the cup holders filling with shavings - that only happens if you leave them empty for long enough.

Finally, I will take your point on the rags. :o

As for the Triton, don't you know that all good beer hats are designed around workplace hard hats? The Triton even has elastic bands around the earmuffs so you can stretch them open a bit to fit the straw through.

echnidna
20th April 2006, 05:36 PM
There are some postive sides to fear.

A certain amount of fear with machinery is beneficial as it encourages the user to understand the machine and process. Being totally devoid of fear around machinery can lead to foolhardy operations.
Of course to be terrified is excess fear that impedes safe operation.:)

Go and have a look at some of the woodie clubs demonstrating woodturning.
Some are so frightened of the concept of holding a chisel by hand they virtually turn wood in lathes that are really closer to metal lathes than woodlathes.:eek:

The WONDERFUL THING ABOUT FEAR
is when your enemies fear you:cool:

orta be more of that type of fear,

quiver and shake you mangy dogs :D
(enemies and other t@&d's that is)

silentC
20th April 2006, 05:40 PM
Being totally devoid of fear around machinery can lead to foolhardy operations.
Only if there is nothing to fill the void, and that is where you need R E S P E C T. Can't you just hear Aretha Franklin belting it out? That's what my lathe and bandsaw and tablesaw and jointer sing to me!

Waldo
20th April 2006, 05:45 PM
G'day,

Don't get me wrong, I have a very healthy respect for all my tools and machinery, but I'd have to say the b/saw is beautiful in that you can get close to the blade for real precise cuts and still keep a safe distance from.

A 7" angle grinder, drop saw or circular saw on the other hand, well...