PDA

View Full Version : This is brilliant stuff!

Shedhand
19th April 2006, 12:25 PM
G'day all. I've never seen work like this before. Check it out (http://www.smithart.us/).
Cheers

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 12:37 PM
It certainly is... :eek:

Carry Pine
19th April 2006, 03:28 PM
But does he do it in Tassie Oak?

ss_11000
19th April 2006, 03:55 PM
some really excellent work............awesome stuff...

Mr woodmachinist
10th May 2006, 11:26 AM
G'day all. I've never seen work like this before. Check it out (http://www.smithart.us/).
Cheers
Great work

net007
1st July 2006, 07:48 PM
Hi

i'm new here. i just wonder how long it takes to do some stuff like that.

thank you

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 11:11 PM
Hi

i'm new here. i just wonder how long it takes to do some stuff like that.

thank you
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Those type of bowls, are segmented, so that means he has to prepare the wood, glue it all together in its proper places, and then turn it, and then it depends on the size, but a bowl 300mm wide by 100mm deep, would take around 2 - 21/2 hours(at my point of view).

Regards.......Joash

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd July 2006, 01:25 AM
Those type of bowls, are segmented, so that means he has to prepare the wood, glue it all together in its proper places, and then turn it, and then it depends on the size, but a bowl 300mm wide by 100mm deep, would take around 2 - 21/2 hours(at my point of view).

2-2½ hours? I wish!

It'd take me that long just to work out what dia. each ring should be to give the desired overall form and then do the maths to decide how long the segments should be to keep the spacing consistent... along with the matter of determining cutting angles. Square ends just don't look right on a segmented vessel, because the curvature introduces a taper.

Then there's the time it'd take me to actually cut each piece. Even assuming it's been pre-sized and could be cut accurately on an SCMS this'd probably kill another hour on a good day where naught gangs aglay. Well... no day is that good, but let's say a good day is when only every other gets thrown into the bit-bucket and a new piece cut. :rolleyes:

It'd be nice if I could just glue it up in an hour or so once all cuts are made, but in the interests of accuracy I'd only glue one ring at a time and even then I'd probably lap the top of each ring with s/paper on a wide flat surface. So that'd probably take me half-an-hour per ring, plus glue curing time. I could use CA to speed it up, but that's a sticky subject with me. :p

On the lathe, I'd guesstimate 15 mins cutting time, (it is preformed after all... not much waste to remove. ;) ) but probably anything from 30mins to an hour sanding and finishing on the lathe.

Of course, the job doesn't end there. Once I removed it from the lathe I'd realise the gaps between the segments look shyte (ya can't sand inside holes on the lathe. Trust me, I've tried. :D) and worse, they've probably built up deposits of the wax/finish on the leading edge. One helluva cleanup job... trying to clean/sand 'em would have me tearing my hair out. :o So I'd scrap that one, and start all over again, sanding the segment ends meticulously before gluing up this time. ;) I reckon I'd probably only have two or three rings glued up before I realised I wasn't cleaning up the squeeze-out from between the segments (which I'd spent so long sanding...) so I'd be able to, hopefully, scrape that out and continue gluing up without wasting too many more hours.

Then turning, sanding, removing from the chuck and applying the finish by hand, paying careful attention to finishing inside those #$#@ holes and wondering why the hell I started this piece of...

2-2½ hours? I reckon after 2-2½ years it'd still be sitting on the shelf, waiting for me to apply the second coat of finish! :D

Tassie Boy
4th July 2006, 10:29 PM
That is absolutely awesome.....

TTIT
5th July 2006, 12:37 AM
2-2½ hours? I wish!

2-2½ hours? I reckon after 2-2½ years it'd still be sitting on the shelf, waiting for me to apply the second coat of finish! :D
In his "How I do it" section, he states...

"Here is the bowl after turning and finishing. It is 4½ inches in diameter and 2¼ inches high. It contains 711 segments and took about 4 days to complete. The complexity of this turning is midrange of all of my work. Some can get very complex and require up to 2 months to complete. Currently, on average, I produce about 2 turnings a month."

I reckon your 2 years or so is a pretty good guesstimate Skew!;):D:D;)

woodturn.com.au
16th November 2006, 06:43 PM
Wow that is some serious carving. Only place i've seen anything like that is indo

bovalino1
27th November 2006, 07:49 PM
In his "How I do it" section, he states...

"Here is the bowl after turning and finishing. It is 4½ inches in diameter and 2¼ inches high. It contains 711 segments and took about 4 days to complete. The complexity of this turning is midrange of all of my work. Some can get very complex and require up to 2 months to complete. Currently, on average, I produce about 2 turnings a month."

I reckon your 2 years or so is a pretty good guesstimate Skew!;):D:D;)
G'Day woodies yep 2 year sounds about it. In about 100 years when I have done all the other things I want do, I any think about it. No it's given me a head ache , just thinking about it If any one has a go let us know
Charles

munruben
6th December 2007, 04:08 PM
Incredible work.