PDA

View Full Version : Banana trees

Simon3
19th April 2006, 01:55 PM
Hi all,
Great site!

Can anyone recommend something to kill banana trees?
I removed all the trees and stumps about 2 - 3 months ago, but still have new shoots spring up.
The area is about 3m x 1m.
Zero and Round-up are ok eventually, but I think something "stronger" would be better.

They were just out of control.

thanks

Zed
19th April 2006, 02:21 PM
kero or deisel in the root system but that poisons the soil - better to stick with zero.

scooter
19th April 2006, 11:12 PM
Simon, when killing trees best results are had by painting the stump liberally with neat roundup as soon as the tree is cut down, ie. ideally within 30 - 60 secs, while the sap is still flowing.

As you've missed this boat, just spray the leaves on the shoots as they come out, and if you have some of the stump still accessable, drill a few half-inch holes down at an angle & fill each one with neat roundup, will do the job.

A local rural supplies store will stock a contact type herbicide for killing blackberries, etc that you might check out, but I reckon the glyphosate (roundup, zero, glypho 360 ect) will do this job equally well.

Cheers................Sean

Kev Y.
20th April 2006, 03:14 PM

A Cyclone?:p

Cliff Rogers
20th April 2006, 04:59 PM
A Cyclone?:p

Doesn't work.... it flattens then but now, one month later, they are already growing 3 new suckers. :cool:

echnidna
20th April 2006, 05:14 PM
What about path weed spray, usually works for about a year and nothing at all grows.

dazzler
20th April 2006, 08:52 PM
Hey

just keep on whacking off at the feet as they come up.:D

theyll stop soon enough

cheers

dazzler

David L
22nd April 2006, 11:45 AM
Take it from someone who knows!

Cut the top off a few centimetres above ground and using a narrow blade knife cut out a cone of the core about 60 millimetres deep and fill with KERO.
That's how the farmers do it very effectively.

David

Simon3
26th April 2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Much appreciated :)

Jedo_03
29th April 2006, 11:59 PM
Hi all,
Great site!

I removed all the trees and stumps about 2 - 3 months ago, but still have new shoots spring up.
The area is about 3m x 1m.
Zero and Round-up are ok eventually, but I think something "stronger" would be better.

They were just out of control.

thanks

Why the hell ya wanna kill banana trees?
Woolies price here ATM is $12.35 a kilo
Keep em going -
Reap a fortune -
Jedo

la Huerta
30th April 2006, 12:00 PM
here is tthee solution to killing bamboo, should work with bananas just as well...

cut off to ground level, fertalize, when the new growth shoots up hit it with straight roundup or zero...

wish i had a banana plantation in my backyard, i would'nt be killing them off , i'd be sleeping under them in a banana chair on a balmy afternoon...