PDA

View Full Version : router templates

EMistral
19th April 2006, 02:30 PM
Hi guys,

Last night I was watching for the first time the wood channel
At that time, the Router bit show was one and they were showing how to cut an oval with the router
Although the show was interesting, I was more interested in the router base the guy was using
The router was an Hitachi one I think and it was mounted on a black metal base
Apparently on this base (underneath) you could fit what they called templates, sort of rings of different diameters that you screw in the base
They protrude by a few mm and allow you to follow a pattern
The router goes all the way through this ring
They had rings of different size.
I was wondering if:
- this base is only for Hitachi or whatever brand of router they were using
- it can be bought separately and used with any router

I have a Triton router. Any idea?
Is there a specific name for this accessory ?
I am sure that for you router experts it is a very common accessory
Thanks
Eric

Glenn_M
19th April 2006, 02:45 PM
Something like these?

http://www.triton.com.au/images/135_t.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

Template guide kit for the 1/2 Triton router about $45 from Bunnings (and elsewhere no doubt).

If you have the smaller Triton router there is an accessory kit that includes the template guides, through table winder and dust collection attachment as well.

More details at the Triton site.

Cheers,
Glenn

EMistral
19th April 2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks Glenn

although it looks different from what was on the show, it seems that the purpose is identical
I have always wondered what these guides were each time I was at Bunnings
Now I know :)

martink
19th April 2006, 06:48 PM
The black plate you are refering to is simply a router table mounting plate - i.e. phenoliec (Did I spell that right???) screwed to the bottom of the router. You could do this with any router - hey I've just mounted one to my triton to use in my newly created router table!! The bushings are brass what are in different sizes and perform a similar job to that ot the bearing on a flush trim or patten bit.

Hope that helps,

Martin.

doug the slug
19th April 2006, 07:40 PM
Hi EMistral,

yes the template guides are useful and there are some things you cant do with a router without them but almost anything you can do with a template guide and a template you can also do with a template and a bearing guided bit.

the reason the bearing guided bits are easier to use is that they can cut right up to the edge of the template without cutting it, hence you can duplicate the shape of the template exactly. with a template guide the bit is of necessity offset from the template, therefore the template and the finished product arent the same shape/size. when making the template you have to allow for the offset. fitting different sized template guides will also affect the result

My advice is to spend your $40 or whatever on a bearing guided 1/2 inch bit, not the template guides. it simplifies the process considerably in 95% of cases.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Template Tom
20th April 2006, 09:00 AM
Hi EMistral,

yes the template guides are useful and there are some things you cant do with a router without them but almost anything you can do with a template guide and a template you can also do with a template and a bearing guided bit.
Doug not really 100% true as I have been using template guides with the variety of cutters (Face Edge Cutters) available from Carb-I-Tool for years No Bearings

the reason the bearing guided bits are easier to use is that they can cut right up to the edge of the template without cutting it, hence you can duplicate the shape of the template exactly.
Doug I have used the bearing guided bit you mentioned to produce the slots for roll top desk runners and they work very well but there is more that can be done with the templates using the template guides

with a template guide the bit is of necessity offset from the template, therefore the template and the finished product arent the same shape/size. when making the template you have to allow for the offset. fitting different sized template guides will also affect the result

Doug this is where it gets exciting about using the template guides because you can use different cutters like the ones mentioned above to create more interesting projects rather than just straight cuts

My advice is to spend your $40 or whatever on a bearing guided 1/2 inch bit, not the template guides. it simplifies the process considerably in 95% of cases.
With the purchase of a variety of template guides you will be off to a great start to routing new projects with new routing techniques

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

EMistral
20th April 2006, 10:44 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for your advices
when I have a bit of spare $$$, I'll have a look at these guides
I don't eally need them right now but it might always be useful to have them

damienhazo
20th April 2006, 11:56 AM
Are you guys talking about guide bushes? In my opinion, the decision on their usage depends on the type of cut:

A face cut can usually be achieved with a bearing-guided bit
A non-face cut (ie. a channel or dovetail) can only be achieved with bit without a bearing. (This is of course only true of bits whereby the bearing is mounted at the top. I use a Trend straight flute bit with a bottom-mounted bearing for bench-mounted template following all the time and it's bloody brilliant!)22349

Whether or not the guidance for a cut using a bit without a bearing is achieved through guides set up to control the path of the router base (ie. a clamped fence) or a guide bush (ie. a dovetail jig) usually depends on the availability of a suitible guide bush template.

An example where the bearing guided flute bit (diagram above) came in handy was when following a round template to make the curves for the round doors on this chest:

I used a guide bush with a stright blute bit within a template to create the round area where the circular opening handle was inserted.

Damien

silentC
20th April 2006, 12:14 PM
Well, the thing about template guides (or guide bushes as some like to call them) is that you make the template yourself, so lack of availability is not really a problem. For example, I made a template to rout mortices for some flush overlay hinges. You start with the shape you want and then expand it by half the difference between the cutter diameter and the template guide diameter.

For me, the biggest problem is having to resize the templates. With a bearing guided cutter, your template can be identical. This is especially handy when you are making a copy of an existing object. Or you can cut one by hand and then shape the rest with the router.

Horses for courses, both have their uses. It's not about which one is better but it's about knowing when to use each one.

Groggy
20th April 2006, 12:39 PM
Template guides are especially useful where the entry needs to be plunged; bearing bits are no good for this. Some examples are pin holes for shelves and shutter door slat slots.

doug the slug
20th April 2006, 01:26 PM
Horses for courses, both have their uses. It's not about which one is better but it's about knowing when to use each one.

Exactly, SilentC, and that applies to almost everything on the forum. I do in fact own a guide bush. it came with my Makita router ive had for nearly 20 years. its sitting in the bottom of the toolbox, and its somehow comforting to know that its there for when i need it. as i said earlier there are things that you do need them for. I just havent needed to use mine in about 20 years but who knows i might start a project next month that cant be done without it.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

damienhazo
21st April 2006, 08:27 PM
Hey Doug. You get a boob-job? I think your old ones were better... Perhaps they just take some getting used to.

doug the slug
21st April 2006, 08:37 PM
Hey Doug. You get a boob-job? I think your old ones were better... Perhaps they just take some getting used to.

i like the other ones better too, but i changed them on a dare. imsure you will find the post if you look hard enough, no pun intended:D :D :D :D

soundman
21st April 2006, 11:15 PM
I use both upper and lower bearing guided bits but.
there is much more flexibility with a base mounted template guide.
Plunging is certainly one issue.
Anywhere where depth adjustment is required a template guide is needed.
anywhere a bit size other than 1/2" needed... template guide.
anywhere you may want to vary the hole size slightly using the same template.. template guide.

An serious router should take a template guide, makita amd hitachi 1/2" machines have a carrier moulded into the base... fixing with 2 screws.
Some machines the base plate has a recess where a bush is held in by a screw collar ( porter cable).

template guides are also easier on the templates.

A good powerfull router fitted with template guide and a well designed template and you can bang out an awfull lot of pieces quickly.
One of the most usefull ways of using a router.

See template tom's article on template guides.

cheers