PDA

View Full Version : Is there a viable option to the Triton router stuff

Aberdeen
19th April 2006, 06:13 PM
I'm lmost convinced to buy the Triton router bench and stand

But is there anything else on the market around that price range of similar specs etc.

I have read a couple of grumbles and some niceties on this obviously pro triton site....... just want to be sure I'm spending my cash (hidden from the domestic manager for months) in the best way.

Just George
19th April 2006, 06:53 PM
There are pros amd cons for buying it, if you buy the table - buy the stand. If you are handy then make your own perhaps buying pits and pieces from the Triton Router Table, the switch for axample. The mounting plate could be another, this way you can access the router through the top of the table and don't have to worry about thrying to mount the router to the underneath side of the table top. These are a few options...

Aberdeen
19th April 2006, 06:59 PM
Hi George,
Did think about DYI type of table etc but decided that if I do get the complete kit at least it is easily portable. Do have a nice long bench I built for my big Makita slide/compound saw that I could use...
Simplicity at my age is more a consideration :-)

Just want to make sure I have something that will last the rest of my life, hopefully another 30 yrs. Not into throw away tools like many people today..... call me old fashioned but the idea of being half way thru a job and having to go back to someone like Bunnies to make the change is an annoyance I don't want.

Carry Pine
19th April 2006, 07:04 PM
Go ahead and do the Triton thing. You are still young. 5 years down the track you may wish to start doing wonderful things and by then you will be really familiar with the table and routing generally. There are advances (and cost efficiencies) being made all the time so you may end up paying less for an upmarket setup in the future.
Good luck with routing and before you start, have a look at some of the safety threads on this site. We want to see your handiwork, not the result of your accidents.

Aberdeen
19th April 2006, 07:11 PM
Carry, good thinking about the safety threads I will take a peek.
Do value my fingers, they make eating easier !
With retirement about 5 yrs away I've made woodwork my main objective for keeping the grey matter from going too grey. Just finished building my first boat, waiting for the plans for the next one...... doing bits 'n pieces of other projects to get the skill level up...... hand routing has limits so hence the table....... Just hunting around for the best price around Adelaide.......

Glenn

dohboy
19th April 2006, 08:13 PM
Abredeen,

If you want a good - (flat !) router table - and are not worried about fitting a Biscuit Joiner Kit / Finger Joiner Kit / Jigsaw Kit (which are all good products, and are alone a good reason to buy a Triton RTA)...

Have a look at...

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_420_2680

I love my Triton RTA and Router...but this could be my next step (but that could be a way off yet)

Dohboy

Aberdeen
19th April 2006, 08:26 PM
Hi Dohboy
Will check out their site. Your reference to 'flat' is that a suggestion that what I'm looking at may not always have a true surface?

DanM
19th April 2006, 08:31 PM
Make a table yourself, it is fun to make and use!

Aberdeen
19th April 2006, 08:34 PM
Now that would definitely make the whole exercise a lot cheaper Dan

DanM
19th April 2006, 08:48 PM
And rewarding! I have more fun making jigs and milling timber.

Aberdeen
19th April 2006, 09:02 PM
Do you have any plans/guidelines or whatever?

DanM
19th April 2006, 09:03 PM
google.com.au and look for it!

Aberdeen
19th April 2006, 09:09 PM
I can do that.....
What did you make yours from, timber I assume?

jmk89
19th April 2006, 09:10 PM

Aberdeen
Have a look at the Gifkins Router table (designed for the Triton router!!!) for something to build - http://www.gifkins.com.au/
That is what I am going to use as the basis for my router table when I get a round tuit (whatever a tuit may be:D )
Jeremy

Aberdeen
19th April 2006, 09:21 PM
Well Jeremy I think with all these links and ideas I might just be in for a late night (but then again that is normal)
Thanks for the references, will get to them after the visitors leave - soon I hope :-) They are not yet into wood.

Aberdeen
19th April 2006, 09:23 PM
Jeremy, being the son of a handyman, is that boat in your Avatar your handiwork? I'm into boat, not the sail type (yet), just love building the little suckers.

Aberdeen
19th April 2006, 09:25 PM
Crickey, shouldn't have slandered my visitors, just peeked at your profile, my guests are in the same business..... ooops hope you don't tell them what I said........

jmk89
19th April 2006, 09:33 PM
Jeremy, being the son of a handyman, is that boat in your Avatar your handiwork? I'm into boat, not the sail type (yet), just love building the little suckers.

Not yet - when I was much younger (early 1960's) my Dad moved to Hobart and saw these little dinghies (Tamars) and bought the plans. He never got around to building "our boat" before he died.

Now I have a young fella who may well be old enough to learn to sail by the time I actually do it. So I am doing my research about how to do it properly, taking advantage of advances in technology and techniques without losing the authentic feel of the dinghy built in the old-fashioned way. Fortunately, the designer is still alive and he is a mine of good info and advice - which I am keeping in one spot with the idea of putting it all together in a WIP story a bit like bitingmidge and boatmik's thread about the Puddleducks.

On theother issue you raised - I would regard it as touting and we don't do that....:D

Aberdeen
20th April 2006, 12:34 AM
Blimey Jeremy, an honest one :rolleyes:
I'm from 'the other side' ;) ;) but still mates with your side!

dazzler
20th April 2006, 09:18 PM
Hi Aberdeen

I had the triton router/table/stand and it was a good bit of kit.

Positives - top power, above table bit change, portable, good range of accessories such as biscuit joiner.

Negatives - Price (349 + 160 + 150 = $659 from memory)
Mine (thats MINE;) ) had an annoying habit of the top not staying level with the table sides which caused a slight step when routing longer pieces. This made it a bit hit and miss to get a constantly great cut.

It is also not very long so if u are using it for long pieces you can get some stepping aloing the length.

Some of the powder coat started to scratch up a bit.

In the end I built my own table and used a $149 Ryobi router that I modified. Prob saved 300 or so dollars and ended up with a much larger router table which was good for me (For ME;) )

See link;

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=28855 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28855)

I am very happy with the outcome. Not bagging the triton at all and if I was sticking with boxmaking using the gifkins jig then i would have remained happy.

cheers

dazzler

Salty
21st April 2006, 12:13 PM
Hi Aberdeen,
I'm in the same position in that I'm looking at the different options for a router table, having just bought one of Roger Gifkin's jigs. Rogers plans look good and certainly would be the cheapest way to go. There is to my mind no doubt that the triton router is the best option, but there are a number of commercially available options for tables. Have a look at www.woodworksupplies.com.au (http://woodworksupplies.com.au) at their "engineered router tables" which can be married up to a phenolic insert or a more sophisticated router lift. The also list a number of fence systems if you really do have some serious money to spend. The other table I like is the Dyco ( www.dycointernational.com/products.htm (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/www.dycointernational.com/products.htm) ) Dyco stuff is beautifully built, solid as a rock and is cast iron and therefore flat.
happy hunting

Simomatra
21st April 2006, 02:16 PM

Try this new thread from Boban http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=30882&highlight=router+table

Excellent information

Cheers sam

Stuart
21st April 2006, 09:04 PM
.....I had the triton router/table/stand and it was a good bit of kit.

Positives - top power, above table bit change, portable, good range of accessories such as biscuit joiner.

Negatives - Price (349 + 160 + 150 = $659 from memory)

True, but then it isn't a fixed motor- the router (which is a big part of that cost) is a great bit of kit, even when not in the table. That does mitigate the cost somewhat.

Other than the router itself, the other thing about the Triton router table that I do like is the fence - there are a lot of features built into something that can be simply a vertical board, but in Triton's case is so much more.

If you are definitely going down the route of building your own table, I'd still seriously consider buying the Triton fence (available as a separate item from Bunnies) and integrating it into the homemade table design.

dazzler
21st April 2006, 10:06 PM
Hey Stuart

How much is the router fence on its own. You may have just solved my fence problem:D

cheers

dazzler

Stuart
23rd April 2006, 02:09 AM
Sorry - no idea - just seen them on the shelf while looking for something I don't have to buy ;)

doug the slug
23rd April 2006, 02:13 PM
I'd still seriously consider buying the Triton fence (available as a separate item from Bunnies) and integrating it into the homemade table design.

yes the fence is excellent, but it is let down by inadequacies of the tabletop itself and the pressure finger system. i too am seriously considering an upgrade to the tabletop similar to what Stu did nearly a year ago or building an entirely new table, either way im keeping the fence:)

Michael Breen
25th April 2006, 06:26 PM
Recently I bought a new WC. I have my original WC Mk3 and a Router table top of the same vintage (ca 1995).
Is it better to try mounting the router table on the WC frame or should I get rid of the old table, saw and router table top and start again with a new router table?

TritonJapan
25th April 2006, 08:01 PM
Michael,

As is always the case, the tools that will suit you most depend on what it is you want to do.

If you already have the old router table, and are happy with it, no real need to upgrade, unless you want to try finger jointing. Be warned though, this will test your patience more that the work Center ever will.

Though the fence on the new router table is far better than the old one, I prefer the old table top, and the old biscuit joiner to be honest.

What things do you enjoy making, or intend to make?

Steve

Aberdeen
25th April 2006, 08:13 PM
Bargain
Hi all, overcome my need to work out which way to go...... ended up buying a set of Triton gear on the weekend.

Router table, stand, jigsaw attachment, biscuit cutter & finger cutter all for the princely sum of only $379.00 Brand New!

A local business was quitting their last Triton gear on Saturday so couldn't resist this bargain.... less than half of normal price, or thereabouts. So my wondering of what sort of router kit to get is solved.

Now I will be able to destroy more wood than I have ever been able to do before :-)

Glenn

Stuart
26th April 2006, 08:33 AM
"By hook or by crook you will get caught in the world of orange tools"

:) Enjoy!

Aberdeen
26th April 2006, 08:43 AM
"By hook or by crook you will get caught in the world of orange tools"

:) Enjoy!

The big advantage of orange tools is as I get older they should be easier to find amongst all the stuff I've packed into my shed :)

Stuart
26th April 2006, 08:49 AM
That only works until the stuff starts breeding. Now my enitre shed is full of orange stuff, so the occasional beige item (jet 14" bandsaw) stands out!

Aberdeen
26th April 2006, 08:57 AM
Stuart,
I hope there is a little breeding that goes on, maybe when the weather warms up near the end of the year there might be a new orange router.
My old Makita just doesn't colour coordinate!

Stuart
26th April 2006, 10:56 AM
In the meantime, you could use Telecom Gold paint....... ;)