PDA

View Full Version : Magic boxes

Andy Mac
19th April 2006, 09:16 PM
Hi there,
Here's a couple of boxes I made last year for my girl's birthdays.:D They are intended to stash away secret magic things like wands and crystals etc., and they aren't really into the Harry Potter thing, more like fairies!:rolleyes:
The first is from silky oak with contrasting splines and imbedded with glass beads (wish stones). These were fitted into shallow drilled holes and epoxied into place. The box has a ply lid covered in star patterned paper and a couple of rune-like icons pasted on. Its lined in crushed velvet on a card backing and has elastic glued into it. The elastic holds down a wand I made in three pieces which screw together, and features a turned knob of mulga, set with another wish stone.
I'll post the other box next...

Cheers,

ss_11000
19th April 2006, 09:24 PM
cool stuff andy......hows this for magic http://www.ubeaut.biz/wizard.gif

Andy Mac
19th April 2006, 09:26 PM
Hi again,
This is the other box, again a simple mitred construction but with the lid set in from the top lip, not rebated below. Its in Aust red cedar, and the top piece is recycled, a beautifully figured but beaten-up cupboard panel, hence the odd bit of filling. I peeled one of those carved surrounds from the front of a (binned) drawer from a pedal sewing machine, and it became the feature piece of the box. Inset is a monogram I made up for my daughter, but only printed.
Inside is the usual crushed velvet with elastic secured to the card backing. I got trickier with fitting a wand to this box, it is based around an old car aerial and telescopes out of the silver ash handle!:cool: I simply soldered the wire star into the top tube. Works a treat!
The girls seem to enjoy them, and have stashed other things in there for the time being. Hopefully they'll hang on to them and will store other, "older girl" stuff in later.:D

Cheers for now,

Harry II
19th April 2006, 09:33 PM
just great andy

Peter36
19th April 2006, 10:24 PM
I bet the girls think they are reeeee.......lly cool Andy and I could imagine them doing all sorts of sorcery with those wands - so does that make you the sorcerers apprentice :D

AlexS
19th April 2006, 11:05 PM
Great stuff Andy, bet the girls luv 'em.

JDarvall
19th April 2006, 11:12 PM
Your a good dad, Andy. Like them both, but I reakon the second ones the best. The carved surround makes it. Very resourceful.

Wongo
19th April 2006, 11:34 PM
another cool project Andy

zenwood
20th April 2006, 08:09 AM
Your girls are very lucky, and their friends must envy them having a dad that can make such magical things.

Both boxes are great, but I really love the look of historic mystery in the second one. The carved lid piece really makes it special, and the crushed velvet is a great colour.

How did you fix the lid panel in place on the second box -- is it free to expand?

Greeny on way if it'll let me.

Harry72
20th April 2006, 09:02 AM
Enchanting work!

banksiaman
20th April 2006, 09:03 AM
AndyMac,

Very nice work. I especially like the second box, with that touch of recycling and "mystery", just seems to go together - Like Zenwood, I'd like to know how you did the top, esp on the second box. Floating? Semi Floating with a couple of dobs of glue?

Well done.

DPB
20th April 2006, 09:24 AM
Wonderful boxes, Andy. I've two daughters myself, and love to make things for them, but being parents themselves, are beyond the age of magic - but watching them raise their children is a bit of magic.:)

Nice work - greenie coming your way!

Andy Mac
20th April 2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the kind feedback. I love making stuff for my kids, continuing a tradition after my dad and grandad!:)
As for the top on the second box, nothing as eleborate as a floating lid there...its simply glued down into the rebate! :rolleyes: It has a satin estapol finish, and so far no movement. I usually oil and wax things but occasionally go for a fully sealed finish.
BTW the moulding/profile on the lid was cut on a table saw, with the arbor slightly tilted and the panel held vertically against the fence...meaning no guard during the process:eek:.

Cheers,

CameronPotter
20th April 2006, 09:50 AM
Nice work Andy! I bet the kids love them...

Cam

Wood Borer
20th April 2006, 10:47 AM
Nice work Andy

bitingmidge
20th April 2006, 11:08 AM
Andy,
Thanks! Another on the list for the (thus far non-existant) grandkids.

If I'd thought of it twenty years ago, there'd be three of them kicking round somewhere now!

Keep them coming!

cheers,

P