rsser
20th April 2006, 08:37 AM
Vicmarc 175 for sale in Melbourne:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=30816

(also includes home-made bowl steady).

rodm
20th April 2006, 11:33 AM
Ern
Are you upgrading or changing direction in your woodwork? Actually come to think of it how can you upgrade from a machine like that?

rsser
20th April 2006, 11:44 AM
Buying a Stubby Rod. Not that the 175 constrains what I do but the opportunity to upgrade came up and I got an attack of gadgetitis ;-}

rodm
20th April 2006, 12:04 PM
Gadgetitis :) Suffer from that myself from time to time but can be temporarily cured . :D
Enjoy the new lathe and some photos when you get it.

hughie
21st April 2006, 10:28 AM
[

quote=rodm]Gadgetitis :) Suffer from that myself from time to time but can be temporarily cured . :D

Regretfully gentlemen its furfy to believe that this condition can be cured.
Alas for those who contract it, it remains for life and can at times be contagious and passed on to other members of the family or even friends

It can at times be relieved by strong doses of gagdgetism. The strength of the dose is proportionate to the severity of the attack.
It has been reported that for most severe cases a complete new workshop has been required to effect any sort of meaningful relief.

Fortunately for those who suffer, the medication readily available at all good tool stores and most Hardwares.
I fear Erns case, it is quite severe, hence the need for substantial dose of medication :D
I wish him well in the future for the management of his condition........:)

Dr. hughie
Director
Wood Turners Wellness Group Inc.

rsser
21st April 2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks Rod. Will do.

Dr Hughie - yes, I confess my addiction. I'm reading your diagnosis as suggesting a new workshop may help my condition? :eek:

Is one available through the PBS? :D

rsser
25th April 2006, 05:15 PM
Well here she is.

ptc reckons I should have a name for her and all I can think of at the moment is the 'beast' :D

She's a bit like a meccano set, with the swivelling and retractable main bed and the auxiliary bed that can be mounted in five different positions.

The swing over bed is prodiguous so no wonder some people fit a block and tackle over theirs to get big lumps in place.

In the pics the main bed is retracted to its max, allowing 70cm spindle length. The tailstock is in place just for illustration.

[Edit: ps. the Vicmarc is sold.]

Captain Chaos
25th April 2006, 05:36 PM
Strewth Ern,
All that lathe just to turn that little bowl.:confused:;) Must be jolly hard timber eh?:D Beaut lathe Ern. I hope that it meets your expectations. You should extend your turning capabilities no end with this little beauty. Look out David Ellsworth.:)
Regards,
Barry.

Mulgabill
25th April 2006, 05:37 PM
Congrats Ern! May you have many hours wrestling with the "beast".

By the way that is a huge bowl on the "beast" in the pic. It looks a little out of place.:D

Mikko
25th April 2006, 06:54 PM
Hi Ern,

Let us know how you find it! I'm super eager to hear if it is all that good.
I'm still not sure if it will be VL300 or S1000...

Cheers,
Mikko

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th April 2006, 07:53 PM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/ahgee.gif <-- Green with envy.

GC
25th April 2006, 08:41 PM
DAMN, makes my MC1100 look........
obselete

GC

Jim Carroll
25th April 2006, 09:15 PM
Ern do you think this one will last you out.

Hope you can tame the beast and get some great turnings out of it.

rsser
25th April 2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys.

Mulgabill and CC, yep it's a small bowl alright but you should've seen the blank I started with :D

Mikko, I can only compare it with the 175 and it's early days. Off the cuff you could say that the 175 is a spindle turning unit adapted to make bowls and platters easier to turn. The S1000 is designed for big bowls and platters (up to a metre diam.) with a 1.5 kw motor. It should handle between centres just fine. Its big advantage is the various configurations you can get with one movable long and one relocatable short bed. That means among other things that you can get your tool rest into some Houdini-like positions and that you should be able to work both the inner and outer of a bowl without rechucking (except for cleaning up the foot). You can get on the other side of the lathe to turn with a good view of the inside of hollow forms.

That said it's a bit of a workout heaving the beds into position - but that'll mean one less morning down the gym each week ;)

Jim I think she might last me out. Prob. I'll go first when I get a good dig and the leverage will fling me through the roof :eek:

Lance Stunning
26th April 2006, 03:45 AM
22706 Gee, I wonder if I'll be that big when I grow up...

I am wondering why the 'merican distributor's name is on your lathe. Are you collecting royalties?
John Jordan was visiting the left coast and came to my home. He swapped out a bearing that I had problems when the lathe was new. He is one of the nicest guys I've met in ww.
Good luck with the new toy.

rsser
26th April 2006, 08:21 AM
Well spotted Lance.

This unit was destined for the US but got snaffled up by a couple of Aussies first.

DPB
26th April 2006, 10:07 AM
Ern, quality products speak for themselves. Beautiful equipment!:)

Toasty
26th April 2006, 03:44 PM
Well here she is.
DROOOOOOOL!!!!!!

ss_11000
29th April 2006, 01:33 PM
very nice pick up, looks great