PDA

View Full Version : Vicmark Chucks

CplHinton
19th May 2002, 05:03 PM
I am new to the BB & I would like to know if the Vickmark VM100 is a good chuck for me to invest my hard earned money in?

[This message has been edited by CplHinton (edited 19 May 2002).]

Terry Porter
19th May 2002, 08:05 PM
Yes, the Vicmarc 100 is a really good chuck with a good range of accessories. It's worth investing in a decent scroll chuck, such as the Vicmarc, do not waste your money on cheap and nasty chucks - you will regret it if you do.

Happy turning

Terry

rsser
30th May 2002, 10:32 AM
It's a fine chuck. Just ask yourself though what size bowls you ultimately want to turn.

If you're aiming big, consider the VM120.

cheers,

Ern

JackoH
30th May 2002, 01:49 PM
Agree with Ern. Which is the best model Vicmarc chuck will also depend to some extent on the size of your lathe.
I started out with a Record mid size with a Vicmarc 100. Then I saw the light and purchased a Vicmarc VL 300 and a 120 chuck (In my opinion one of the best combinations on the market.)
Regards John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

ptc
30th May 2002, 10:25 PM
What about a Bonham.?

------------------
p.t.c

Tim the Timber Turner
31st May 2002, 10:40 AM
Bonham is old technology compared to the Vicmarc VM100 & VM 120. With a bit of careful
engineering the VM100 can be modified to take all the Bonham and Novascroll jaws.
I have owned many chucks going right back before the original Nova. The Vicmarc key chucks are what I use now.

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.