PDA

View Full Version : Standardised Shed Plans

echnidna
20th April 2006, 02:01 PM
Is it possible to prepare a set of timber framed (pole construction etc) plans for a shed\garage that will meet building codes in all states?

If so, any hints or traps for the unwary?

bitingmidge
20th April 2006, 02:41 PM
yes.

and no....

To make it a completely standard plan you would have to take the worst case scenario for every state and every situation.

In North Qld you'd need to meet Cyclone category wind loads (65m/s), in NSW you'd need to meet the inane bushfire regs and so on.

In each case you'd need a separate footing plan and the engineering would have to be done on a site by site basis.

Apart from that, not a problem! The Building Code of Australia sets out all the standards required, then you will have to check with the appendix for each state just to make sure you haven't missed anything.

For a shed, it shouldn't be too hard.

Cheers,

P

echnidna
20th April 2006, 04:52 PM
Thats basically what I thought Peter, Thanks.

I dunno if standardised shed plans would be viably marketable though!!

journeyman Mick
20th April 2006, 11:43 PM
Bob,
you could have a "standard" plan with an add on sheet of specs and details for different areas.

Mick

PS BTW in Qld you need to be licensed by the QBSA and hold professional indemnity insurance if you are producing drawings for someone to build to.

echnidna
20th April 2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks Mick,
I hadn't got around to investigating the codswallop.

Stuart
2nd May 2006, 02:43 PM
In North Qld you'd need to meet Cyclone category wind loads (65m/s), in NSW you'd need to meet the inane bushfire regs and so on.
65m/s - that's like 234 km/hr :eek:

Not that I doubt the figure, but designing something to withstand that is going to make for some pretty heavy construction!

(Sorry for resurrecting an old thread btw)

bitingmidge
2nd May 2006, 06:58 PM
65m/s - that's like 234 km/hr :eek:

Not that I doubt the figure, but designing something to withstand that is going to make for some pretty heavy construction!

Yep.

Been to Innisfail lately? ;)

The construction is heavier but not impossibly so, it's mostly in the bracing and tie downs, and a few more roofing screws are required as well, (and footings too!)

Cheers,

P

CameronPotter
2nd May 2006, 07:36 PM
So the old tin shed approach is kind of obselete up there then?

journeyman Mick
2nd May 2006, 10:54 PM
Cameron,
tin sheds are fine, but they have closer spaced framing, bigger footings, and more and larger tie downs and roofing and cladding screws than ones in non-cyclonic areas.

Mick

Cliff Rogers
2nd May 2006, 11:35 PM
65m/s - that's like 234 km/hr ...

Larry hit 295 kph as it crossed the coast & Monica had gusts of 350kph when it crossed in the NT. :eek:

Next time you are out on the highway doing 100kph, open the window & stick your hand out... now think 3 to 3.5 times that strong. :cool:

extrajosh2
1st July 2007, 07:24 PM
Given that I will building a 120 square meter shed/cheap dwelling in a non cyclone area with no sisemic activity and limited bush fire risks is there any one with plans available that I may purchase?
thanks josh