PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Elu MOF 96s are addictive

damienhazo
21st April 2006, 12:36 AM
Hi guys,

My name is Damien and I've been addicted to MOF 96 E for over 3 years now. This is my first meeting...

Only those who have gently but firmly held one of these sexy Swiss babes in their hands can understand true passion. I know they're getting a bit long in the tooth and new routers have more functions, but it's a bit like comparing an Ebel 1911 Chronograph with a Tissot TOUCH. I know which one I prefer wearing...

The reason I'm writing is because I'll be in Aussi with the kids for 6 weeks holidays between June and August and my mum reckons she's got a few jobs lined up for me. I thought I'd take a quick look in www.ebay.com.au (http://www.ebay.com.au) to see if it wouldn't be easier to buy a router when I'm back home and bloody hell it's slim pickings in there! I entered 'elu' as a search and the computer actually started laughing at me...

So... Do I support the Communist People's Republic of China and buy a no-name built by 6 year olds who didn't make it into the Shaolin kindergarten, or bring a few Elu MOF 96 E routers home with me and flog 'em off before I fly back to the land of lederhosen and sauerkraut?

They'd probably owe me around 150 AUD/router by the time I pick 'em up over here on ebay with postage. I'd only buy ones in good condition with little wear etc.,. Can anyone let me know if:

The Elu MOF 96 E is also cherished by Australian handymen for the saucy little masterpieces they are.
What they go for on Ebay.Alternatively, if someone definitely wants one, they can answer this post and see if we can't make a deal.

I'll be up the Sunshine Coast.
Germany is 220 V so you'll just have to change the plug.

Damien

sinjin1111
21st April 2006, 11:12 AM
Hi Damien, i have one that is near new. When i heard they were going to be discontinued i went and bought a second. They really are a great machine. For a laugh i own 2 MOF 11's if you know what they are. Anyway my partner was doing a tidy up just recently after i had to do some doors for her. She found this doover which didn't look much. It turns out this doover may have been my fence...off to the bin it went. You can imgaine how impressed i was and still am. I sold my older machine about 2 yrs ago so at the moment i'm unsure what i will do. I also know if you are interested where some new stand they made for that machine are. The one which inverted yr machine into a mini spindle moulder. It used to cost a bomb but i payed i think about $60 about 12 months ago.
Sinjin

damienhazo
5th May 2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks to the people who sent me emails requesting MOF 96Es. It looks like I'll be bringing back at least 3. I'll have my laptop with me so I'll get into contact when I'm down home. I'll then either pop 'em in the post or in eBay.

Can anyone let me know if the parts (bearings etc.) are easy to order in Aussi.

They grow on trees over here. Might be better to bring a few bits and pieces with me....

Thanks!

Damien

damienhazo
10th June 2006, 05:04 AM
I'm running out of time but here's the latest... I picked up altogether 4 Elu MOF 96 Es and one of these so called 'newer models'. Man, talk about going backwards...

Anyway, here's a few pics. There's a couple of other things on the middle bench that I picked up on Ebay. Didn't want the routers to get lonely. Of real interest to me is the old bench grinder. It's a '50s Metabo 705 and I plan on restoring simply because of those sexy curves. Might make a post out of it...

The 2nd of those Makita 4304T jigsaws joined the herd for 25 Euro which is around 40 Aussi. The bloke said the top end is knocking but I gave it a little dance and I reckon I'll soon have her purring...

The Metabo jigsaw is another matter... The gearbox is still good (full of crap but that's quickly cleaned off). It must have been so gunked up that the motor burred up the spline. I got another one there (an Ebay bargain whereby the blades delivered with it were worth 4 x the bid alone) which I think I'll canabalise for the motor... It doesn't have orbital... Or perhaps I'll wait for one with a broken shaft where the motor is still good...

The nail and staple gun was a real bargain. The bloke had a 'Buy ít Now' on it for 20 Euro and no picture. I've already got one of these and they're brilliant for knocking up formwork before laminating. It came with a couple thousand staples and nails and its arrival confirmed that I am an Ebay god.

24684 24685

So I'll take some pics of the progress as I work my way through this lot. I'd like to get the MOFs shipshape before I leave for Oz in a couple of weeks...

See how I go.

Damien

MrFixIt
12th June 2006, 04:48 PM
Hi

My name is Damien and I've been addicted to MOF 96 E for over 3 years now. This is my first meeting...

Only those who have gently but firmly held one of these sexy Swiss babes in their hands can understand true passionI think you will find that the ELU router was originally the AEG router made in Germany. In Australia AFAIK AEG preceded ELU by many years, and I still have my original AEG OF50, the ELU forerunner, from the late seventies :D

damienhazo
12th June 2006, 07:33 PM
Hi
I think you will find that the ELU router was originally the AEG router made in Germany. In Australia AFAIK AEG preceded ELU by many years, and I still have my original AEG OF50, the ELU forerunner, from the late seventies :D

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reply.

I have an AEG 0F 50 and it's a great little machine but here are the facts:

Elu was an accessory builder that never produced an electric tool themselves. They contracted a Swiss company called PERLES to build them a router and the result was the MOF 96.

Over the years, this router was bought and branded by around 20 companies! (Including Einhell - back when they produced in Europe!) The AEG says 'Made in Germany' but in truth it was built by ELTOS in Bulgaria and assembled in the AEG factories here.

There are tools still built under the name PERLES, but they are produced mainly in Slovakia.

Damien

Just George
12th June 2006, 08:30 PM
I thought it was only the Orange stuff(ie. Triton) that was addictive...

Lignum
12th June 2006, 09:36 PM
I thought it was only the Orange stuff(ie. Triton) that was addictive...

The Woodworking Gods will strike you down if you dare mention either the Mof 96 or 177 and :eek:Triton:eek: in the same breath.... Shame on you:cool:

GregLee
14th June 2006, 10:01 AM
Hi Damien,

I'll take one of the ELUs off your hands if any are left. I'll PM you and discuss further.

Greg

damienhazo
14th June 2006, 10:25 AM
Stripped down 4 of these sexy little sauce bottles and put them in the kitchen sink for a bath. They splashed around like a group of Playboy bunnies on ecstasy till they were all nice and clean and we all had a lot of fun...

As statistics will have it, the speed didn't agree with one, and now there are only 3. We will miss her sadly (and a curse on the bastard who didn't stop using it when the top bearing failed!):mad:

Anyway, the 3 are safely lined up in my workshop. They haven't been this clean since they left Switzerland. Oh what they must have seen over the years - all the lovely woods and workshops... The electronics have been put back together and the bottom-ends assembled. Despite the fact I thought some of the bearings still felt good, I've thrown them all away and will be ordering them (along with any other missing parts) tomorrow.

24935 24936 24937

I'm going to be sorry to give them up... Especially the middle one. (I call her Alexa)

Damien

Ivan in Oz
24th January 2008, 09:02 AM
I am going to have to STOP reading anything where DAMIEN
has had an entry.

I get Jealous seeing what he gets SO Cheaply.

Especially the ELUs....Busted, I really mean Barstard:B

RouteyFruity
31st October 2008, 04:53 AM
Stripped down 4 of these sexy little sauce bottles and put them in the kitchen sink for a bath. They splashed around like a group of Playboy bunnies on ecstasy till they were all nice and clean and we all had a lot of fun...

As statistics will have it, the speed didn't agree with one, and now there are only 3. We will miss her sadly (and a curse on the bastard who didn't stop using it when the top bearing failed!):mad:

Anyway, the 3 are safely lined up in my workshop. They haven't been this clean since they left Switzerland. Oh what they must have seen over the years - all the lovely woods and workshops... The electronics have been put back together and the bottom-ends assembled. Despite the fact I thought some of the bearings still felt good, I've thrown them all away and will be ordering them (along with any other missing parts) tomorrow.

24935 24936 24937

I'm going to be sorry to give them up... Especially the middle one. (I call her Alexa)

Damien
:o
Oh no, I hope you haven't given up on those petite beauties as I have just got into them by buying 2 on Ebay recently. Unfortunately 1 is sounding a little uneven in terms of noise.

I have ordered 2 spare sets of bearings but never really serviced a router before, only Macintosh computers so little resemblance there. If you can give any advice/instructions to bathe my 2 little beauties I would be a happy chappy.

This is my 1st posting on this wonderful forum I found through Google, looking forward to being part of this group and hope I can be helpful in the future.

Cheers
RouteyFruity

Lister
9th November 2008, 06:14 PM
RouteyFruity, have you replaced the bearings yet? If not let me know I'm sure I've got an article on replacing MOF 96 bearings somewhere, will try to look it out if you still need it.

damienhazo
10th November 2008, 12:40 AM
There are a few tricks in pulling them down. I think I've described it in here somewhere before...

PM me and then I'll give you a call if you can't find the info after a search in the forum. I've got Telekom Country Flat so no worries.

Damien

RouteyFruity
10th November 2008, 05:16 AM
RouteyFruity, have you replaced the bearings yet? If not let me know I'm sure I've got an article on replacing MOF 96 bearings somewhere, will try to look it out if you still need it.

Lister, thanks very much for the offer and yes please I would really appreciate it if you had the article on replacing the bearings on the MOF 96E.

In fact I just picked up a mintish MOF 177E too and bought a set of bearings to keep as spares just in case.

Best regards:roll:

Lister
11th November 2008, 10:15 AM
The article on bearing replacement is in Good Woodworking issue 178 Sept 2006, will send you a pm. I'd have a talk with Damien before you start pulling things apart.
Regards
Peter

RouteyFruity
28th November 2008, 03:44 AM
:2tsup:
The article on bearing replacement is in Good Woodworking issue 178 Sept 2006, will send you a pm. I'd have a talk with Damien before you start pulling things apart.
Regards
Peter

Hi Peter

Apologies for delayed reply. Thanks very much for sending me the PDF and I look forward to servicing and replacing the bearings on my Elu MOF 96E router.

The PDF is very clear and even I should be able to follow it through okay. I just picked up another Elu 177E Mk3 in really nice clean condition so prepared for anything now and yes these wonderful machines are definitely addictive.

I feel a bit guilty in having 2x 96E Mk3's and 2x 177E Mk3's but the design and ergonomics are superb, even the locking switch is well thought out. Thanks for your kind help, hope I can return the favor one day.

Best regards

Jagtar

Jan_Schokker
9th January 2009, 12:18 AM
There are a few tricks in pulling them down. I think I've described it in here somewhere before...

PM me and then I'll give you a call if you can't find the info after a search in the forum. I've got Telekom Country Flat so no worries.

Damien

Damien, I just found this forum when I was looking for information on what router to buy. So I am new here. Great forum! So far I borrowed a friends Festool router that is a real joy to use, but financially out of my reach at the moment.. To get me started after reading a number of articles here I found a cheap AEG OF 50 (€ 16, including fence and transport) that runs well but has a noisy bottom bearing. Can you tell me if the bearings and the procedure to change them are the same as on the Elu 96? I already asked Peter to send me the PDF on changing 96e bearings. Also, do you know of a good source for the bearings? I guess I can now start saving for a Elu 96e, because it seems that is the one to go for! You don't have a spare one lying around, do you :)?

Regards,
Jan.

masoth
9th January 2009, 02:36 AM
Welcome Jan.

soth

Lister
9th January 2009, 05:31 PM
Jan,
I will try and find the article and send you a pm.
Peter

nigelr
18th January 2009, 03:57 PM
Hi Peter, please excuse me for being so bold, however I've just bought a MOF 77 from ebay and would love a copy of that ELU PDF, if you wouldn't mind.
Cheers, Nigel.

damienhazo
19th January 2009, 10:10 AM
Can you tell me if the bearings and the procedure to change them are the same as on the Elu 96? I already asked Peter to send me the PDF on changing 96e bearings. Also, do you know of a good source for the bearings? I guess I can now start saving for a Elu 96e, because it seems that is the one to go for! You don't have a spare one lying around, do you :)?

Regards,
Jan.

Hi Jan,

I'm not actively subscribed to this thread so it was only by chance I found this...
Apart from the shape of the top housing cap, the MOF 96 is exactly the same as the OF 50. Rare that a bottom bearing is loud though... Wouldn't surprise me if you find the top one's the culprit when you pull it down...

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

Damien
PS. 16 Euro including postage is a really sweet deal!