PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Plans

laxation
23rd April 2006, 02:51 PM
I have to make a plan for my project at school - and I was wondering how to go about designs the sliders for drawers I am making. I cant picture in my mind how it will work.

The actual drawers are 80mm high x 290 wide x 250 deep, and have a 310 x 110 face on top of the actual drawers, so it looks a little like this:
http://www.mccwoodworking.com/images/lrg_photos/dovetail-drawer.jpg

There are two drawers, and their faces will be 50mm apart, with the drawers being 45mm away from the side of the area they will go in.

What I need, is a way to design the sliders that the drawers will slide on. If this is possible to explain over the internet, then I would really appreciate some help.

If this isnt explained enough, or well enough, tell me and I will try to go about it clearer.

Thanks

Auld Bassoon
23rd April 2006, 07:37 PM
Hi Laxation,

Traditional cabinets don't have drawer slides, they rely on the fact that the drawer bottom is generally a few mm above the lower edge of the drawer sides. It is these that provide the bearing surface running on the dust shelf immediately under the drawer.

Often side rails are included, running parallel to and close against the drawer sides, but attached to the dust panel. These prevent the drawer from skewing as it is opened or closed. As well, there is generally one or two drawer stops (traditionally faced with leather) to prevent the drawer from being pushed beyond the face of the cabinet.

If the drawer sides' bottom edges are planed smooth and lightly waxed and the dust shelf is appropriately smooth, the drawer will open and close quite easily and smoothly.

Simple!

boban
23rd April 2006, 09:12 PM
The picture actually looks like metal slides, fixed from underneath have been used. Have a look through the Hafele catalogue and I'm sure you will find them.

I have plenty of these types of runners. Hettich, Blum and G* all make these types of runners. You need to make the base of the drawer sit higher than sides in order to hide the slide. The runners all come with instructions which give you the necessary dimensions.

Call Nover in Melbourne and I'm pretty sure they will sell you the Hettich runner as a cash sale over the counter. They are not cheap though.

If you need me to, I will take a photo of a runners I have.

laxation
24th April 2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks for your input, but I guess I didnt explain it well enough...

I am not going to have metal sliders as are on the picture, that was just to demonstrate the face of the drawer, and how it is larger than the bucket part of the drawer.

I am going to use wooden rails for the drawers to slide on, as you spoke about Auld, but I am wondering how to drawer plans for the sliders (on Prodesktop, if it matters)

Auld Bassoon
24th April 2006, 08:00 PM
As to how one renders drawings of these in a CAD module (Prodesktop or otherwise), I'm afraid that I have no idea...

BTW in the photo that you included in your original post, the drawer had half-blind dovetails - which was then faced with an overlapping face-plate. Why? What I mean is, why go to the trouble of making half-blind D/Ts, and then so obviously covering it with a false front panel :confused: :confused: Unless it was a "Blunder Cover" :p :p

laxation
25th April 2006, 01:46 AM
I have no idea who made that drawer, it was just to demonstrate what I meant by the enlarged face of the drawer in comparison to the rest of it.
I didnt know if I explained myself clear enough, so I got a picture.

Studley 2436
25th April 2006, 03:03 AM
I think Auld Bassoon has explained it pretty well. You make your drawer and then glue a bit of polished strip along the side. This sits on a runner that you have put in the cabinet alongside the drawer. The runner keeps the drawer straight. All you need then is to put a stop in somewhere to stop the drawer being pulled to far out.

Studley

graemet
25th April 2006, 09:28 PM
Have a look at the current (#50) Australian Wood Review and the project starting on p. 28 for a pretty innovative extendable wooden drawer runner.
Cheers
Graeme

laxation
25th April 2006, 10:20 PM
Ill see if I can go and get that tomorow (it is a magazine right?)