PDA

View Full Version : Not another which finish question!

tarjla
23rd April 2006, 10:43 PM
Sorry to do it to you again but the blackbutt floor we are going to lay will have alot of sunlight getting on it due to its westward facing glass walled room.We also have evaporative a/c.The poly coatings are out as they yellow and tend to side bond so i guess its either water based or oil modified.My wife doesnt want to spend every week fixing a tung oil floor.We have 2 little boys 4 and 6 so wear comes into the descision but we know a floor has to be lived on.I have heard the water based can have a green tinge to it so i just wondered whay you would recommend.I have done a search but no answers really cover our criterior,thanks for the stacking tips.

glock40sw
23rd April 2006, 11:32 PM
Floor finishes are like life....full of compromises.
Take your pick and live with the result.

tarjla
8th June 2006, 10:27 PM
Floor is going down next week,still cant decide on finish,was wondering do the tung oil finishes stain the blackbutt to a similar colour.The boards vary in colour quite alot and we dont want to lose that effect.so would we be better off with a water based finish,thanks again

Gaza
9th June 2006, 03:24 PM
water based eats tung oil, get a nice matt, you will never see minor mis haps.

Larry McCully
11th June 2006, 11:08 AM
water based eats tung oil, get a nice matt, you will never see minor mis haps. I would use a non yellowing single pack moisture curing polyurathane. If the floor has been down in its envioment for a week or two then it will have settled into its spot and any movement woul have taken place. You should not get much more movement. You are in a controlled enviorment with the air con and all. THe single pac will give you a longer life than anyother coating and i have seen this same instance before and there has been no real problems. It will be fine

Larry McCully
11th June 2006, 11:10 AM
I would use a non yellowing single pack moisture curing polyurathane. If the floor has been down in its envioment for a week or two then it will have settled into its spot and any movement woul have taken place. You should not get much more movement. You are in a controlled enviorment with the air con and all. THe single pac will give you a longer life than anyother coating and i have seen this same instance before and there has been no real problems. It will be fine Use a solvent bases poly and not a water based one.

tarjla
14th June 2006, 12:12 AM
You say dont use a water base yet in other posts people have mentioned bona traffic as hard wearing,do you think it is better or worse than single pack poly,thanks