PDA

View Full Version : possum trap

Zed
24th April 2006, 09:29 AM
Hi,

Anyone in Sydney (pref north shore or north west) that can lend me a possum trap ? we have a midnight dancer in our roof I think and I'd like to confirm it is so. A few bottles of red for your trouble or if you prefer - some cash.

PM me or reply to this thread - both methods work for me.

Cheers big ears.

Groggy
24th April 2006, 09:32 AM
This wouldn't be a Persian possum by any chance?

Zed
24th April 2006, 09:37 AM
I can see a few tiles on the roof that dont seem to be seated correctly so I assume thats its entry point, or attempted entry point - however the flashing underneath looks undisturbed so maybe its just an "attempted entry"

I have no idea whether its clothed in veils or just fur Grog as there are no silk bits torn off hanging from the tiles :D

Termite
24th April 2006, 12:36 PM
Cat trap = possum trap, just different bait.;)

Bluegum
24th April 2006, 12:40 PM
What about trying NPWS to see if they will remove it for you. If not them will WIRES come out and give you a hand to relocate it?

Auld Bassoon
24th April 2006, 08:27 PM
I had a pair of the little blighters who seemed to have taken a liking to the gutter corner underneath an electrically operated pergola.

I tried various "fixes" from rat traps via camphor and paraffin to steel wool bunched up into gutter-shaped balls.

What worked was some packing case steel banding, edge sharpened on the bench grinder, and wound into some spirals that fitted the erstwhile nest. Nasty, but effective :eek: :eek: :p :D :)

ozwinner
24th April 2006, 08:31 PM
I had a pair of the little blighters who seemed to have taken a liking to the gutter corner underneath an electrically operated pergola.

I tried various "fixes" from rat traps via camphor and paraffin to steel wool bunched up into gutter-shaped balls.

What worked was some packing case steel banding, edge sharpened on the bench grinder, and wound into some spirals that fitted the erstwhile nest. Nasty, but effective :eek: :eek: :p :D :)

Good fix Steve.

Al :D

kiwioutdoors
25th April 2006, 07:39 AM
I would just shoot it but i guess that illegal in oz. Not protected in kiwiland.

echnidna
25th April 2006, 10:56 AM
Don't you eat them in NZ?

BobS
26th April 2006, 09:27 AM
Hi Zed,

I've been wondering were my possum went !!!!

Seriously though Re my post last year - I built a trap (ring-tail size) but never used it - I'd heard that if you remove the one you have then another one will simply move into the territory.

So I placed two possum nests (hollow logs with a metal roof) in trees down the back (we have a large block of land). Closed off their known entrances to the house (while they were out) and so far no further problems. One still lands on the roof about 4am and then leaps into a tree near one of the possum boxes - so I believe the nests are working.

Also I use a "Pest Exit Duo" an electronic deterrent (from Dick Smith) in the garage to stop them coming in when the door is left open after dark - this really works. I have also used it to get them out of the wall cavity, I placed it against the gyprock at @10am and by 11:30am they were on their way.

I have sent you a PM with my phone number if you want to talk 121 about the trap or any other options (other than adoption !!).

Bob S

Carry Pine
26th April 2006, 12:28 PM
I have a possum trap which I offered to Bob S (but he went for the green solution). Willing to lend but unless you fix where they are getting in you will get more possums in their place.
We occassionally travel to Sydney, usually southside- perhaps an address there.
Carry Pine.

rockola
26th April 2006, 02:19 PM
Don't you eat them in NZ?
There's a restaurant in Brisbane that has all sorts of native tucker on the menu, including possum. Tried it - wouldn't recommend it. The wallaby was excellent though.

mudgutts
28th April 2006, 12:44 PM
Possums hmmm i use teddy bears to scare them its the eyes that do it, (It's a pitty i can't nail up koalas as the are scared of them) plus my dogs do a good job too i get about 4 possums every night i find a bb guns helps!

Zed
28th April 2006, 12:50 PM
i dont want to kill the ####ing things!!! just want to stop the bastards in me roof

mudgutts
29th April 2006, 12:33 PM
I don't kill them i just scare them away

Mirboo
29th April 2006, 12:47 PM
I certainly don't advocate using this method now, but it worked.

When I was a kid we would occasionally have possums setting up camp in the roof of the room that housed the bulk milk vat in our milking shed. This was obviously a health concern because the milk was being sold for human consumption.

Dad found that an old jaw type rabbit trap set with a slice of orange tied to the trigger plate worked every time.

Clinton1
29th April 2006, 01:27 PM
i dont want to kill the ####ing things!!! just want to stop the bastards in me roof

I would have thought that a naked 'rampant' monkey, swinging off the roof trusses wearing only a bowtie and a franger, and with a handfull of fruit slices would scare them off.
Try it, and please post the piccies.

Wongo
24th July 2006, 12:06 AM
Still need one Zed?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=342604#post342604

Wongo
24th July 2006, 12:46 AM
I thought I did the right thing by first consulting a friend, who is a park ranger.:o

I would like to ask those law makers to repair my roof and be quite happy to let them have the possums in their roofs.:rolleyes:

Wongo
24th July 2006, 10:39 AM
HJO, I dont want to build a possum box. I want them out. What is your address mate. I will send them over.

Wongo
24th July 2006, 03:15 PM
I don't know what you are talking about???

Cheers HJO, I hear what you are saying but 6 possums are a bit tougher to deal with.

HJ0
24th July 2006, 04:13 PM
Whats their names???

Like i said make the box/boxes, or naming the possums will be your next legal move.

HJ0 Cheers ...Just trying to help:rolleyes:

echnidna
24th July 2006, 04:18 PM
Possums are probably a good substitute for cats,
reportedly they taste great!!!

Wongo
24th July 2006, 05:21 PM
HJ0 Cheers ...Just trying to help:rolleyes:

Yeah thanks cheers mate.

Wild Dingo
27th July 2006, 04:20 PM
possum trap? Why would anyone want to trap possum for? I mean weve been hitched so long weve become comfortable with each other now... sigh... oh well if you must you must

to trap possums
first LOOK like me... dropdead gorgeoulishus bronzed surfy type (albeit without the gawdawful straight blonde locks)
then just saunter up and say in yer best voice "... gidday ..." gets possumps every time :D
When said possum responds by finally lookin at you... say the followin in a real studmuffin gigalo way "wannabit?"... thats the killer blow!:cool:

So when she finally stops the bent over double tears rollin from the eyes thing that possums and sheilas in general have a intrinsic problem with... somehow find a bloody huge grin an say "well?..."

Now if your real lucky possum will go with you {whahooooo! freedom to chase that red leather wearin woodlistenin sheila from that other part of Aussie!!! :D } if not you'll be left with... well... possumpoop... sigh... oh right that was me eh? :o :rolleyes:

But I mean why anyone in their right mind would try to trap me own "her bloody highness the loverly possumpoop" is beyond me :rolleyes: But then I have house trained her well over the years maybe thats it? ;)

Get ready redleather woodlistenin sheila!! hehehe if all goes accordin to Wongos darstardly excellent plan Banana bendin I will be!! :p Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahoooooooooooo!!! :D :D

eh? you were talkin about POSSUMS the animal sorta hairy little critter... ooooh damnanblastitall!!! :mad: now look what youve gone and done did!... yer got that readleather wearin woodlistenin wee sheila all excited... damn! an they wont refund me damned ticket... buggar buggar buggar :(

ah well on the bright side... I do loves me West Aussie = Best Aussie so... sorry wee one but well your just gonna have to do without me... I know its hard... I know :( ... but well these blokes do like to tease yer so :rolleyes: cruel buggars specially that Wongo the drongo bloke but we gotta forgive the little gnome like fella hes chingalese dontcha know :D

Carry on!! :p