PDA

View Full Version : First box for about 45 years!

Driver
24th April 2006, 11:12 PM
Because I don't do any turning, when Ian007 asked for pen blanks etc for fund-raising for his son's school, I rashly volunteered to make a few boxes instead of pens.

The first one is completed. :o

I have some doubts about displaying it here, having seen the quite superb work of people like Alex, Don and, recently, Wendy. However, in the spirit of looking for advice and experienced help, I reckon it's worthwhile to ask you all to comment.

This box is made mainly from what Bunnings sell as "Australian Oak". It looks and feels like one of the varieties of Tassie Oak or Victorian Ash. The box was made using entirely hand-powered tools. No electrons were consumed at all. Specifically, I used a couple of back saws, several chisels, my LV Veritas LA block plane (to plane and fair the curves in the sides and ends), a brace and auger bit to cut the hole in the lid, my LV Veritas Medium shoulder plane to cut the rebates (rabbets) in the lid and a couple of different files to produce the curves on the ends of the lid and feet. The long feet are Bunnies "Australian Oak" mouldings and the little handle is hand-carved from jarrah.

The box is finished with a hand-rubbed application of Danish Oil and a swansdown mop-buffed application of UBeaut Trad Wax.

Dimensions: 160 mm long x 100 mm wide x 75 mm high.

All comments, criticisms and advice are welcome.

Ian - I'll send this first box tomorrow. You can expect a couple more in the next week.

Col

Studley 2436
24th April 2006, 11:40 PM
nice box Driver have to spread the love around a bit before I cn give you any more

Studley

DPB
25th April 2006, 10:11 AM
:) Col, I like the box. You've taken a minimalist approach and done it well. I particularly like the handle in the recessed hole. (I'm sensitive to handles after showing my "Dunny Brush" handle.:D)

The long feet are unusual, and for that I give you marks for originality. But for my taste, I would prefer that you either repeated the gaps shown in the ends on the sides, or not had those gaps. I guess what I am saying is that IMHO there is an inconsistency of design here.

Did you pin the joints? It looks like you did on the sides but not the ends. I like the alternate use of the joints. It creates interest and gives each side wall an identical balanced look where each side shows the end grain of the adjacent panels in diagonally opposite corners - interesting and unusual.:)

I am surprised that you say the box has been finished. The picture doesn't seem to show this. I know Danish Oil is a very subtle finish, but I would have thought that the Ubeaut Traditional Wax would have given more glow to the box. (I'll put it all down to the picture which sometimes doesn't faithfully show off a project.)

Great project. I'm sure it will do well in the auction.

Ian007
25th April 2006, 10:16 AM
Ian - I'll send this first box tomorrow. You can expect a couple more in the next week.

Col

Cool, I wonder if postage might be cheaper if you sent them together?
I can wait.

Cheers Ian:)

AlexS
25th April 2006, 10:52 AM
Nice one Col, it's good to see boxes without straight lines all round, and going to a good cause.

Driver
25th April 2006, 10:57 AM
Don

Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate the time you've taken to give me some useful feedback.

:) You've taken a minimalist approach and done it well. I particularly like the handle in the recessed hole. (I'm sensitive to handles after showing my "Dunny Brush" handle.:D)

I'm glad you picked up on the minimalist approach. That was very much the intention (along the lines of the KISS principle!). In another thread, I commented on how making this box has shown me how much more accuracy and delicate touch is required in small-box making compared to furniture. Something else it has taught me is that making unique wooden handles is very satisfying and worthwhile. I intend to use them much more in future on any cabinet work.

The long feet are unusual, and for that I give you marks for originality. But for my taste, I would prefer that you either repeated the gaps shown in the ends on the sides, or not had those gaps. I guess what I am saying is that IMHO there is an inconsistency of design here.

Yes - I agree about the design inconsistency. The feet help to secure the bottom because they create a lip for it to rest on. This did away with the need to rebate the side and end panels. However, long feet were not necessary and I would choose a different arrangement for a second attempt.

Did you pin the joints? It looks like you did on the sides but not the ends. I like the alternate use of the joints. It creates interest and gives each side wall an identical balanced look where each side shows the end grain of the adjacent panels in diagonally opposite corners - interesting and unusual.:)

Yes - the joints are pinned on the sides only. This was more for embellishment than for structural integrity - which runs contra to the minimalist approach! The joints are easily strong enough on such a small box - I used Titebond III to glue them. I would leave out the pins on another attempt - or perhaps use wooden ones.

I am surprised that you say the box has been finished. The picture doesn't seem to show this. I know Danish Oil is a very subtle finish, but I would have thought that the Ubeaut Traditional Wax would have given more glow to the box. (I'll put it all down to the picture which sometimes doesn't faithfully show off a project.)

Minimalism again. I sanded the box - but only to 120 grit - and then applied a single coat of Danish Oil and a single coat of Trad Wax. The photo is a reasonably accurate representation of reality. Personal taste, of course, but I wanted this box to look as raw and natural as possible. The finish is there simply to provide basic protection from fingermarks and dirt. Hopefully, if its eventual owner applies a judicious waxing every now and then, it will develop a patina over time.

Col

Ian - you're probably right about the postage. I'll send them together!

Lignum
25th April 2006, 11:12 AM
One of the nicest little boxes ive seen for ages. Well done on a superb job:D

ptc
25th April 2006, 04:38 PM
Like the style,
bet Wendy has a ball when she see's it.

"I wanted this box to look as raw and natural as possible."

waiting for the next ones.

Wongo
25th April 2006, 04:54 PM
Nice work bro. I cant imagine doing it entirely by hand. Hey have I seen the idea of the uneven joints somewhere?:cool:

Well done mate.:)

Driver
25th April 2006, 05:05 PM
Hey have I seen the idea of the uneven joints somewhere?

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

Scott - yes you've definitely seen the uneven joints somewhere. The end half-lap joint is a common feature on, amongst other things, those little sushi boxes you see in Japanese food stalls.

I actually pinched the basic design for this box from a FWW article that I found on the FWW website.

Col

JDarvall
25th April 2006, 05:38 PM
Sweet little box Col !:)

Eddie Jones
25th April 2006, 06:36 PM
"First box for about 45 years! "

Just be gentle, and don't expect too much on the first night!

Auld Bassoon
25th April 2006, 06:41 PM
Nice Box Col!

Hey, why not make a large box, and then a few successively smaller ones so that each can fit inside the other in turn - rather like the Russian (?) dolls.

RufflyRustic
25th April 2006, 07:33 PM
Hi Col, What a lovely box! Very simple, and I feel, nicely elegant in its own way.

I have to agree that using the feet to help secure the base is a good, easy way of not having to rebate it, an idea I've used myself about 4 times lately.

Definitely worth a greenie!

PTC - You know me so well :)

cheers
Wendy

jow104
25th April 2006, 07:51 PM
I suppose it helps if your Australian timber suppliers supply timber already formed like that:rolleyes:

Only joking.

Nice box.

ozwinner
25th April 2006, 07:56 PM
The box is finished with a hand-rubbed application of Danish Oil and a swansdown mop-buffed application of UBeaut Trad Wax.

Col

Col how could you?
What no MFKL? :eek:

Im sure it could add lustre to your box too.

Al :p :D

zenwood
25th April 2006, 08:49 PM
A sweet box Col. I like the overall design: the half-lapped joints, the curves and the handle.

The feet are interesting, but I wonder if wrapping them all the way round would balance the top and bottom of the box in a pleasing way. Either that or pehaps a footless box. The pins worry me too, not sure why, maybe it's just too much for a minimalist box.

How about something like the pic?

Driver
25th April 2006, 09:02 PM
Col how could you?
What no MFKL? :eek:

Im sure it could add lustre to your box too.

Al :p :D

Al

It would definitely be a Code Violation to use MFKL for purposes for which it was not designed. :eek: It could lead to totally unforeseen consequences. :eek: Hell! it could lead to .... to ..... a rip in the fab.... No! No, that's too awful to contemplate. :eek: Let's not tempt fate.

Driver
25th April 2006, 09:07 PM
A sweet box Col. I like the overall design: the half-lapped joints, the curves and the handle.

The feet are interesting, but I wonder if wrapping them all the way round would balance the top and bottom of the box in a pleasing way. Either that or pehaps a footless box. The pins worry me too, not sure why, maybe it's just too much for a minimalist box.

How about something like the pic?

zen

The design from which I pinched the idea is very much like your pic. Looks good, too.

I'm not totally unhappy with the feet but I would change them for a new box. I might actually use something narrower (say half the width of these feet) spanning across the box at roughly the third points of the long dimension. Maybe make them from jarrah to reflect the handle. Actually, (thinking aloud) something of roughly similar dimensions to the handle - again in jarrah - would probably look very good.

Col

banksiaman
26th April 2006, 09:45 AM
Driver,

Very nice, more so when done "darkside".
I'm a great fan of KISS, and I think the finish matches the theme of the box.
Zenwood's idea of no feet looks OK, but without the feet, I would round off the bottom profile to match the top profile more. I think the feet as you have them now don't detract from the box, their lines match the lines of the box well.

Definately worth a greenie.

Chris

CameronPotter
26th April 2006, 10:04 AM
Hey Driver,

Nice box! Surely if Mr Factor has a knacker lacquer, he also brings out a box lacquer? :D

Anyway, in contrast to responses, I quite like the feet - although it looks good without the feet too.

I must say thought the pins don't do it for me. Maybe if they were larger it might look more appropriate? Mind you, I find it hard to see them clearly in the pic.

Still, great box, much better than I could do - yet. :D ;)

Cam

keith53
26th April 2006, 10:17 AM
I like the box Col. Something about the simplicy that fits in with my idea of a great job. Its got balance.

Dunno about the lack of electrons though....

remember the old saying "If God wanted the cat to survive and thrive, he wouldn't have given man the capacity to invent the .410 shotgun".

There's a parallel there somewhere... I think...:D

Cheers,
Keith

Carry Pine
26th April 2006, 12:18 PM
Driver, forgive me but I can't see the feet they are talking about (that look so good). Am I missing something?

Driver
26th April 2006, 12:44 PM
Driver, forgive me but I can't see the feet they are talking about (that look so good). Am I missing something?

Yes - it seems that you are!

CameronPotter
26th April 2006, 12:59 PM

Don't look at Zen's picture, look on the first page.

derekcohen
26th April 2006, 05:17 PM
Hi Col

That is a very nice box. A good design for mass producing with hand tools.

Changes suggested? For pens, make the box narrower, and use thinner boards.

Looking forward to the next one.

Regards

Derek

Carry Pine
26th April 2006, 06:55 PM
Don't look at Zen's picture, look on the first page.
Thanks, Cameron. Taking short cuts again!

Driver
26th April 2006, 08:49 PM
A good design for mass producing with hand tools.

Er, .... Derek.... steady on! 'Mass producing' ??!!!?? :eek:

CameronPotter
27th April 2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks, Cameron. Taking short cuts again!

No worries. :)

Groggy
28th April 2006, 05:40 PM
Ian, I sent you a PM on Moday but have no reply as yet. There is still no sign of the pens, I checked with the PO on Monday. Any idea where they are? I have twelve buyers waiting to snap them up.

Driver
3rd May 2006, 10:04 PM
I'm a great believer in the old wisdom that says a camel is a horse designed by a committee so I haven't adopted all the ideas you offered. However, I liked some of them!

Here are two views of Box #2. Same basic design and dimensions but this time I've omitted the feet and the pins. Also, I've taken the finish a stage further:-

- hand-planed all over (LV LA block & Stanley #3 smoother)*
- hand-sanded from 180 grit to 400 grit
- two very thin coats of UBeaut White Shellac
- light sanding with 400 grit
- UBeaut EEE - rubbed in and burnished off by hand
- UBeaut Traditional Wax - rubbed in and burnished off by hand.

(* Technical note for Darksiders: hand-planing the end grain of the lap joints means you have to plane inwards from the ends to avoid grain-splitting. This means that, for half of the joints, you will be planing against the grain. To minimise tear-out, it's essential to use the thinnest possible mouth opening. The LV LA block plane has an adjustable front sole piece. I had to close down the mouth so tight I had to hold the plane up to the light to be sure there was an opening there. Even then, I used very short strokes from the edge across the end grain and then planed each side with the grain, stopping short of the end-grain part of the joint each time. Fiddly as all hell!)

Ian007: I'll put both boxes in the overnight mail to you tomorrow. I hope that's not too late!

Col

jow104
3rd May 2006, 10:58 PM
Nice job. Complments from a UK member.

zenwood
5th May 2006, 12:51 AM
I really like this version. The extra work on the finish has really paid of too, I think.

How do you think the joints go for strength, since it's mostly a butt joint?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th May 2006, 02:06 AM
You're not tempted into starting box #3?

Driver
5th May 2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks, fellas.

zen, I guessed you'd like it - this version is pretty much the one you showed in your doctored photo! As for strength, time will tell but I reckon it's pretty strong. Each joint is connected and glued in two planes, long grain to long grain. The sidewalls and joint surfaces are thick relative to the overall dimensions of the box (12 mm thick, tapering to 8 mm in a box that's 160 mm x 100 mm x 65 mm). I inadvertently strength-tested Box #2 by accidentally dropping it :o . No dramas. The joints held and I was able to sand out a minor ding.

Skew - Box #3 is in production as we speak! I want to experiment a bit with wooden pins and a different arrangement of feet from Box #1. If the amended design works, I'll post a pic. If not, see ya later!

Col