PDA

View Full Version : finishing the bandsaw box

usabell
25th April 2006, 12:26 PM
OK. I have gotten fairly good at making the boxes but I can't seem to get the finish right. Any suggestions,tips, resources? I'm not the brightest knife in the drawer but neither am I a butter knife so I am getting frustrated trying to get a good finish. HELP

usabell
25th April 2006, 12:48 PM
see I even thought knives had to bright instead of sharp !! no wonder I am having trouble.. geesh

ptc
25th April 2006, 04:25 PM
Pics please !
then advise will follow.

Hickory
26th April 2006, 05:37 AM
I have become a lover of Wipe-on Polyurethane (Minwax) I use gloss Wipe-on Poly. Apply with a piece of Tee shirt cloth. I use a 3" square and fold it several times and hold it with a medical hemostat. First couple of coats I wipe just with the rag but then I light sand and begin applying a wet coat with the device. Allow to harden over night (I set a lamp above the project piece to hasten the drying and hardening.) Scuff with 300 or better paper and re apply a wet coat. Continue until you are satisfied with the results. NOTE: Apply by wiping only once per drying cycle, it is so easy to want to go back over and retouch a place, but for best results allow it to dry and harden before doing any touchups.

Once you have accustomed yourself to Wipe-on Polyurethane, I can't see where you will venture off to another process.

woodbe
26th April 2006, 08:54 AM
Anyone know where to get this magical wipe-on poly in Australia?

I tried to track it down a month or so ago, Bunnings reckon it has dried up, unreliable distributor or something like that.

Michael

Sculptured Box
26th April 2006, 09:17 AM
This section of the UBeaut Forum may help -

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=29333

usabell
26th April 2006, 11:17 AM
I got some wipe on poly. I looked at the can and it was not gloss so I am headed to get this kind. I may just didn't put enough on or enough coats. I am trying again. thanks you guys. all help is greatly appreciated as I love these boxes.