PDA

View Full Version : My New Tool.

NLAlston
26th April 2006, 06:43 AM
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, and to woodcarving also. Just today, I picked up my first power woodcarving tool. It is the Foredom 2276 Flex Shaft Power Tool Kit. I had, initially, set out in search of a flex attachment for my black & Decker cutoff tool (as a means by which to get into power carving), but the salesman, at Lowes, directed me to a clearance item (the Foredom) which was selling for $100. methinks that I did well, with this purchase, and that I will be very happy with it.

I do, however, have a question to ask. Do you think that it would be all right to use the grinders & cutters, that are made for the Dremel line, with this tool? The Foredom has more umph to it, which is why I have that concern.

Advanced thanks, for any and all responses.

schaf
27th April 2006, 07:24 AM
no problem. Enjoy your carving.
Regards Terry

NLAlston
28th April 2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks, Terry.

VEEBULL
5th May 2006, 11:42 AM
$100.00 FOR A fOREDOM !! I reckon ya done stolt it at that price , last time I looked at them down here , a Fordom was approx $600.00AUD.
As long as the chuck size is the same your cutters and grinders should be ok .
As a suggestion , do a google on 'Mountain Heritage Crafters/Carvers ' located in the US .They are great people , and have one of the best selections of power carving equipment

Veebull

NLAlston
5th May 2006, 11:51 PM
$100.00 FOR A fOREDOM !! I reckon ya done stolt it at that price , last time I looked at them down here , a Fordom was approx $600.00AUD.

Veebull

Hi Veebull,

Yeah, I was very surprised by the price also. There were two more of the same units there, when I purchased mine, and - just the other day - I stopped by Lowes to see if they were yet there. They were. I have the feeling that they may drop, in price, even further - if they aren't purchased. If so, I will pick up another one. I like this machine so much that I wouldn't mind having an extra one here. Besides, one or two of our children may just happen to take a deep interest in the same type of artistic activity, and may wish to spend a great deal of time utilizing the power carver. In this way, we wouldn't have to be 'taking turns' :).

CameronPotter
8th May 2006, 10:56 AM
Damn! I was just about to ask you to buy me one and send it on, but then I noticed that you are in the States...

Damn.

Cam

NLAlston
8th May 2006, 11:18 AM
Damn! I was just about to ask you to buy me one and send it on, but then I noticed that you are in the States...

Damn.

Cam

Hey Cam,

I sure would have done it for you, too - (seriously). In fact, I had previously thought of querying as to whether or not someone might have been interested in one. I wouldn't have tried to make anything on it, either, just a return of the purchase & shipping price. The reason that I didn't, was because I wasn't sure how long Lowes might have had either - or both - of the two remaining units.

But, again, I definitely would have done that for you.

jmk89
8th May 2006, 11:37 AM
As many of you already know from some of Cam's earlier posts, he is going to be living in the US from later this year - maybe he could buy cheap equipment for all of us.....:D :eek:

CameronPotter
8th May 2006, 11:42 AM
True,

I will be coming to the States in mid-July, and thanks for the offer Mr Alston, but I couldn't ask you to buy something now and hold onto it for that long.

As for JMK's suggestion about buying stuff and sending it, I would be happy to do so if people wanted, but I reckon that the freight might be a bit of a killer.

I have seen some great tool bargains in the States, but whenever I enquired about getting them to Australia it ended up being a lot less of a bargain! :o

Cam

CameronPotter
8th May 2006, 11:56 AM
Oh, also, I meant to say that Dremel stuff is generally overpriced in comparison to some other stuff that is available.

If you have it already, great, but if not, take time to look around at other options.

Rio Grande and other jewellery supply places have heaps of this stuff (but possibly too fine for woodwork).

If you want, I may be able to dig out some names of some good suppliers of rotary tools.

Cam

NLAlston
9th May 2006, 08:27 AM
True,

I will be coming to the States in mid-July, and thanks for the offer Mr Alston, but I couldn't ask you to buy something now and hold onto it for that long.

Cam
I am, periodically, checking back with Lowes, for the purpose of seeing if the remaining unit(s) will realise a deeper clearance price reduction, before they are finally sold. If that happens, within thirty days of purchasing my unit, then I could bring in my receipt and get a portion of the purchase price returned to me. And if that situation does take place (and the Foredom's are still there), I will buy what may be left - and hold on to one for you. Don't hold your breath on this, though, because it is quite possible that they may be sold soon. I think the only reason that they are still there, is because of the fact that they are placed in an area which doesn't allow them to be readily seen. I had to have my attention called to them, by a salesperson, when I was searching for a drill-mounted flex-shaft attachment. But I will definitely get back to you, in the event that I wind up with another (or both) of the remaining Foredoms. If so, I will hold on to one of them for you, when you visit here in July.

CameronPotter
9th May 2006, 09:54 AM
Wow! Thanks very much Nathan.

As for visiting, it will be more like 2 or more years. I have a job in Seattle lined up soon.

:D

Cam

VEEBULL
10th May 2006, 04:38 PM
If you are going to buy power tolls from the US make sure they are dual voltage , not all of them are .BTw , power carvers should check out the great range of micro carvers ( like dentists outfits ) available in the US .I bought a Ram Micro a couple of years back , the advantage over the Foredom is , they do not have a flexishaft , they are all electronic , real easy to use , just hold it like a fountain pen .Veebull

CameronPotter
10th May 2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks Veebull, but I would be in the States for a few years anyway (and could set up a power converter here if necessary when I come back).

As for the choice of Foredom, they are just so grunty (more horsepower than most little motors) and the flexshaft on them is actually a good thing.:D

VEEBULL
10th May 2006, 06:23 PM
Cam , the Foredom is great for fast removal of timber , particularly with typhoon burrs .I like the micro carvers for really fine work .The handpieces of the micros actually have the dc motor built into it .My Ram is rated at 45,000 rpm , the great thing about it is the quick change chuck , twist grip & change burrs .Google ' Gesswein ' & check out the units in their ' Wildfowl Carving Tool ' section . Nice gear the Gesswein and usually first choice of the top US Wildfowl carvers , expensive , but the best & 220volts are available .

Veebull:)

CameronPotter
11th May 2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for that.

I actually own a digital Dremel (from France) which is very nice, but I want to added grunt (and ability to use a hammer handpiece) of a Foredom.

As a matter of fact, it probably wouldn't even be for wood carving - I want it for jewellery work.

Cheers

Cam