PDA

View Full Version : Leady lathes

hughie
26th April 2006, 01:53 PM
Anybody use or has come across the Leady lathe by Bruce Leadbeatter of Sydney?

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/lathe/lathe.html

hughie

TTIT
26th April 2006, 02:24 PM
Haven't seen it before but there's some good ideas there! Gotta admit, there hasn't been much innovation in lathes for about 40 years has there!:)

echnidna
26th April 2006, 02:39 PM
Haven't seen it before but there's some good ideas there! Gotta admit, there hasn't been much innovation in lathes for about 40 years has there!:)

Now thats an interesting statement.

coupla exceptions that I can think of

A 40 foot long (or thereabouts) lathe - dontcha reckon thats innovative?
ask sweetly and he might show yer a pic.

The (apparently now defunct) Symtec lathe.

n.b. Now afore stoppers gets inter the act.
The symtec was the only lathe I've ever seen that was suitable for many people with various disabilities to use safely
(including blind wood turners)
So yer see stoppers the Symtec had some advantages

Bodgy
26th April 2006, 04:01 PM
Emma Chizzit?

Salty
26th April 2006, 04:57 PM
Hughie,
I have one and find it great. :DThere are about 5 members in our club that have them too. Mine has the variable speed conversion on it as well, that was done by one of our WOTH (Woodturners of the Hunter) members Mo Jones. We have some videos in the Club of Bruce L demonstrating the lathe which shows all it's advantages well, such as a moveable headstock so you can swing work over the back or front of the ways (with the appropriate change of rotation). Bruce also makes a number of interesting tools and jigs which are also worth looking at. All in all - another great Aussie lathe!;) When you consider Omega, Vicmarc, Leady, & the late Woodfast we have an impressive list of indigenous machinery to choose from.

hughie
27th April 2006, 01:20 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Salty,
The Leady lathe was brought to my attention by a mate of mine and the only ones I have seen were quite old. Not particularly not worthy models, but the web site has got interested. Your comments are just what I was looking for, thanks.
What sort of speed do you get from the vari speed drive? In fact any details you can make available would much appreciated. If look at the post MC1100/900 wobbles you will understand my interest.

Bruce still makes them here in Sydney and my mate is teeing up a visit this Sat. All in all its going to be a interesting couple of hours.
hughie

TTIT
27th April 2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Salty,
The Leady lathe was brought to my attention by a mate of mine and the only ones I have seen were quite old. Not particularly not worthy models, but the web site has got interested. Your comments are just what I was looking for, thanks.
What sort of speed do you get from the vari speed drive? In fact any details you can make available would much appreciated. If look at the post MC1100/900 wobbles you will understand my interest.

Bruce still makes them here in Sydney and my mate is teeing up a visit this Sat. All in all its going to be a interesting couple of hours.
hughie

Hughie - Can you get some pricing details for us while your at it??:) Thanks!

Salty
27th April 2006, 09:51 AM
Hi Hughie, I'm not too sure of the exact speeds with my setup but I will make enquiries. Bruce will I'm sure be able to give you all that information. My impression is that the flat out speed is a tad over 3000rpm and goes down to VERY slow - like 100rpm. At 3000+ its as smooth as can be! :cool:Certainly has all the range that I want. Hope you enjoy your visit to Bruce L. I'm sure you will be impressed not only with the lathe but with the other bits he makes like the eccentric chuck and another chuck he makes which has a centrifugal action to grip a spigot - no tools required!
I'll be interested to see what you think!
Cheers
Salty

hughie
27th April 2006, 01:57 PM
Hi Guys,
No worries, will gain as much info as I can along with pics if he allows. Had thought along those lines anyway.
Will keep you posted
hughie