PDA

View Full Version : Fixed base routers

snellj
26th April 2006, 07:26 PM
Is it my imagination or are there a dearth of suppliers of fixed base routers in Oz. I'm looking for one to mount in a router table. There seems to be a mountain of them in the US of every possible make but I'm not keen on transforming from 110V if I can avoid it - nor seem to be able to find any outfit that actually ships here. I'd be grateful for any suggestions and/or words of wisdom.

Auld Bassoon
26th April 2006, 07:45 PM
Do a search - this topic has been cudgelled to death.

The short version is that there aren't any imported (if you discount edge trimmers like the little Makita), and it's not just a conversion from 110v, it's also the change from 60Hz to 50.

HJ0
26th April 2006, 08:25 PM
My ryobi router has approx 30mm of plunge travel, I have trouble using standard 1/4" router bits(obtaining enough high)maybe it's full of sawdust lol. So unless you know something I don't, can't see the point in using a fixed base router in a table.

HJ0

doug the slug
26th April 2006, 10:55 PM
Is it my imagination or are there a dearth of suppliers of fixed base routers in Oz. I'm looking for one to mount in a router table. There seems to be a mountain of them in the US of every possible make but I'm not keen on transforming from 110V if I can avoid it - nor seem to be able to find any outfit that actually ships here. I'd be grateful for any suggestions and/or words of wisdom.

Tis not your imagination, ive seen one in the last 3 years that i recall and it was too big for what i was looking for at the time. Ive since outgrown the need that i wanted one for anyway. what purpose do you seek the fixed base router for anyway?

scooter
26th April 2006, 11:33 PM
I think Makita used to sell a fixed base router here; and a while back GMC sold a fixed base router through bunnings and harris scarfe (I think).

The advantage some see in a fixed base is that it's easy to drop out of the table to change bits.

Limited otherwise though methinks.

Cheers...............Sean

aljenit
27th April 2006, 01:44 PM
Is there a specific reason you only want to mount a fixed base routerto the table? GMC did make a 1400w fixed base a couple of years back if you can find one.Searching under fixed base in the archives will get you lots of info.Good Luck

mic-d
27th April 2006, 02:24 PM
My ryobi router has approx 30mm of plunge travel, I have trouble using standard 1/4" router bits(obtaining enough high)maybe it's full of sawdust lol. So unless you know something I don't, can't see the point in using a fixed base router in a table.

HJ0

You might find a second hand 3601B Makita router (it's the D-handled one). It's a very good router, as far as fixed based routers go. Mine is in the router table and I have no trouble bringing the collet up proud of the table, so there's no issue with travel, at least not if you have a good router;) :D

Cheers
Michael

snellj
27th April 2006, 11:00 PM
Many thanks for the responses to my post. I take the point about the search and the subject being cudgelled to death! The question has been raised as to why I want to use a fixed base router? I already have a plunge router which I use constantly and happily. It seems to me that in putting a plunge router into a table, I'm putting functionality in there that I can't use and I'm constrained by having to include the handles into a situation where they are no use and just get in the way. Judging from the web sites for Bosch, Porter-Cable and Amazon, there is obviously a demand in the US for this type of router and I'm just amazed that there is no equivalent demand in Oz that somebody can exploit to their advantage - or is it just a factor of the relative size of the respective markets?
GMC used to supply a fixed base router but don't any more, Carbatec have stopped importing Porter-Cable routers - presumably because they are not cost effective. I think I know what I want and why I want it and am totally frustrated by not being able to get it - I'll keep watching the second hand columns - hopefully something will turn up!

Caliban
27th April 2006, 11:06 PM
So this isn't a good time for all of us who bought two (or more) of the excellent gmc fixed base routers for the princely sum of $39 each to gloat?:D :D :D :D :D

craigb
27th April 2006, 11:29 PM
So this isn't a good time for all of us who bought two (or more) of the excellent gmc fixed base routers for the princely sum of $39 each to gloat?:D :D :D :D :D

Damn, you beat me to it. :D :D :D

One of mine is still in it's shrink-wrapped box too. :eek:

(No, it's not for sale, well, it might be if the price is right. Hahahahahahahah)

Craig (who doesn't normally gloat :o :o )

HJ0
27th April 2006, 11:36 PM
You might find a second hand 3601B Makita router (it's the D-handled one). It's a very good router, as far as fixed based routers go. Mine is in the router table and I have no trouble bringing the collet up proud of the table, so there's no issue with travel, at least not if you have a good router;) :D

Cheers
Michael

My little B&D router must be a good one, It has about 80mm of travel lol. Still think the ryobi full of sawdust cuz the travel less everytime I use It.

HJ0

Sturdee
28th April 2006, 12:09 AM
Judging from the web sites for Bosch, Porter-Cable and Amazon, there is obviously a demand in the US for this type of router and I'm just amazed that there is no equivalent demand in Oz that somebody can exploit to their advantage - or is it just a factor of the relative size of the respective markets?

Of course there is no great demand here for fixed base routers for, unlike the Seppos, we have learned that you can use a plunge router. :D They still have to learn that. :D

Peter.

Rbro71
28th April 2006, 12:59 AM
You think there is no need for a fixed base router well then make a horizontal router table and put a plunge router on it

MurrayD99
28th April 2006, 10:34 AM
I believe you can still get the Makita 3601B (the 'D' handle machine) new. It should be about the same price as the 3612. I own one of these, got it new and had it years, and it is A-OK - but I don't think it would be ideal in a router table. Why wouldn't you use a plunge type?

PommiePete
14th October 2006, 06:25 PM
B....r! Just stumbled across this and it's the same question (as a newby) I recently posted! Seems there's no big market for fixed base routers but I'm still curious about the experts opinion on the new Bosch fixed base with plunger attachment.:confused:

Template Tom
14th October 2006, 09:31 PM
What is wrong with the Triton Router which was specifically designed for the Router Table
Tom

Honorary Bloke
14th October 2006, 11:47 PM
It seems to me that in putting a plunge router into a table, I'm putting functionality in there that I can't use and I'm constrained by having to include the handles into a situation where they are no use and just get in the way.

Right you are. I would have thought that the market there would support such a supplier. As you have noted, many routers here come with multiple bases (fixed and plunge) which is rather handy, as you can mount the fixed base on your table and when you need to hand route just drop the motor out of the base, drop it in the plunge base, and voila!

All of the routers sold here (AFAIK) that are specifically designed for use in a table are fixed-base.

John Saxton
16th October 2006, 06:52 PM
I believe you can still get the Makita 3601B (the 'D' handle machine) new. It should be about the same price as the 3612. I own one of these, got it new and had it years, and it is A-OK - but I don't think it would be ideal in a router table. Why wouldn't you use a plunge type?

These are still available here in OZ however they're not cheap and probably well over the $400 mark now.
They are solid ,I do have one and would'nt be without it however its not my choice for an undermounted as I have an Hitachi MV12 doing that job.That doe's not mean that the Makita would'nt be able to handle being an under mounted.
Far being for me to tell you what to do but it seems to make economic sense to go with something like the TRITON router which has the grunt necessary for an undermounted application.

Cheers:)

sparky
17th October 2006, 03:43 PM
Snellj ........ I really must put my two bobs worth in on this one.
The problem is really not the router, its the application and table design.
Purchase your self the up dated version of the book, "Woodworking with the Router" by Bill Hylton ( Readers Digest ISBN 0-7621-0800-2 )
On page 69,81 all will be revealed, ie tilting tables.
The thing that really gets my goat ...... I can see the point that manufactures don't see the Australian market as a viable market, size wise.
But power tools use universial motors which can be manufactored to operate on many different power supply and voltage systems ....... even DC.
If they don't want to sell us fixed base routers ...... sell us the Yanky or Pommy Multi Base systems.
The Pommies can even supply a 220V routers off the shelf, that will operate on our supply, with no mods ! :mad:
Importers, retailers, wake up.

aniceone2hold
20th October 2006, 05:32 AM
In the US the 2+ HP "combo kits" are very popular since it allows a single motor to be quickly changed from free hand to table use. We have seen the single speed Hitachi kit for as little as $89 US, and this price includes guide bushings and dust collection. By the same token Template Tom's favorite 40MM guide bushing is not available here for love or money. Sparky is right, and should start a petition to be signed by members and forwarded to the sales reps of your available brands. With numbers behind the request they will listen.

bpj1968
27th October 2006, 10:24 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you change the depth with a fixed base router?

Farm boy
27th October 2006, 03:11 PM
brian
my d handle makita you unscrew a handle at the front then turn a large nut (plastic ) around the motor part to the desired adjustment then screw front handle in to tighten and you are ready to go
cheers
greg

bpj1968
2nd November 2006, 11:25 AM
Greg, thanks for that simple explanation. The use of "Fixed base" always had confused