PDA

View Full Version : Panel Bit selection

keith53
28th April 2006, 10:51 AM
G'day all,

I'm thinking about getting myself a panel bit set for doing doors and the like (you know, one to do the rail & one to do the stile). I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who has such a set and also your opinion on what's good & what's not.

Cheers,
Keith

doug the slug
28th April 2006, 12:27 PM
Hi Keith,
Ive got the CMT 3 Piece Kitchen set, (stile, rail and raised panel bits). Its pretty good for what its supposed to do and ive also been able to get more out of it than the manufacturers intended. when i bought it i would have preferred one with a backcutter on the raised panel bit but i got this set at a substantially discounted price, and i havent regretted it. to a large extent , like everything else, it depends on what you want to do with it

keith53
28th April 2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks Doug,

By backcutter I assume you mean the rebate on the under side of the panel?

Carry Pine
28th April 2006, 02:21 PM
Yes, I have the CMT also and would have preferred the backcutter. I bought the 5 piece set on special but cannot recommend the reverse glue joint cutter or the drawer lock. Also make sure you have a router with adjustable speed. The panel raiser does not like 24000 revs in a Triton table.
Carry Pine

Auld Bassoon
28th April 2006, 05:50 PM
. The panel raiser does not like 24000 revs in a Triton table.
Carry Pine

:eek: :D

I have the Carba-tec two piece rail/stile combo, and for the volume of work I do, they're ok. Especially at low revs :p

Termite
28th April 2006, 06:39 PM
CMT 3 piece with back cutter, love it. Only run the big cutter at 8000 RPM.

render2017
28th April 2006, 06:46 PM
While I am obviously biased, I suggest look at the Infinity range from Northwood Tools

Ingrid H

dai sensei
28th April 2006, 07:32 PM
I've got this one http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=240_17350_18370_18400_18520

Worked a treat after I modified the Triton table to suit. Definately slow down the rpm

Harry72
30th April 2006, 06:06 PM
CMT panel raiser user's, can the height of the backcutter and rail/stile be changed with shims?(adjust the thickness of the tongue and slot)

dai sensei
30th April 2006, 06:27 PM
CMT panel raiser user's, can the height of the backcutter and rail/stile be changed with shims?(adjust the thickness of the tongue and slot)
They do come apart, so in theory yes, but then the cutter would not match the tongue - or am I missing something.

Harry72
1st May 2006, 02:05 AM
Yes I was implying to adjustment of the thickness of the tongue and slot, all 3 bits would need to be shimmed to the same tongue/slot thickness.

dai sensei
1st May 2006, 11:57 AM
Yes I was implying to adjustment of the thickness of the tongue and slot, all 3 bits would need to be shimmed to the same tongue/slot thickness.

The cutter only cuts a set thickness slot, so I assume you will be doing multi-passes with the cutter shimmed into different positions, to match the wider tongue.