PDA

View Full Version : Free 3D CAD

bitingmidge
28th April 2006, 02:58 PM
For those of you interested in this sort of thing, I stumbled across this today

http://sketchup.google.com/product_suf.html

The banner says good for woodwork! :rolleyes:

Another step in Google's plan to rule the world I suspect, and fully compatible with Google Earth.

I wouldn't mind a review though.

cheers,

P

gpsmith
28th April 2006, 03:19 PM
I downloaded an earlier version a while ago - it has some good tutorials but, for my woodworking needs and CAD skills, I could not justify the cost. It is a computerised sketch pad in a sense and should be good for back of the envelope designers.
I will have to have a look - I still subscribe to their newsletter and the info is in their latest edition.
regards,

bitingmidge
28th April 2006, 03:24 PM
I could not justify the cost.

Even the free version? :eek:

Cheers,

P (I often preach that free stuff isn't worth what you pay for it!)
;)

gpsmith
28th April 2006, 03:28 PM
dunno. I'm downloading the free version now - the older trial version had a 30 day or something licence. But the tutorials were well paced and easy to understand.

Rocker
28th April 2006, 03:50 PM
Midge,

Unless it has changed, I think the free version of Sketchup is only a trial version, which you can use free for a certain number of hours (I have forgotten how many). I downloaded and tried it, but it is not a fully featured CAD program - for example, it does not do Bezier curves or splined curves; its primary purpose is for architects to draw up quick sketches of buildings, and it seems to be fine for that, but, if you buy the program, it is actually quite expensive, about $400 from memory.

I think woodworkers would be better off getting the 2D version of TurboCAD, which is quite adequate for planning most woodworking projects. I have the 3D version, but the learning curve on 3D CAD is very steep, and it is probably not worthwhile, unless you intend producing 3D diagrams for publication.

Rocker

Rocker
28th April 2006, 03:57 PM
Hmm; perhaps I should have gone to the url that Midge gave before sounding off. This version of Sketchup does seem to be free and unlimited. Dunno if it does all that the full Sketchup did though.

I think the crucial point is that Sketchup is basically a modelling program for architects and designers to sketch dimensionless concepts; hence it is not strong on exact dimensions, angles, and geometry like a true CAD program.

Rocker

Scissors
28th April 2006, 04:07 PM
There's a list of the differences between Sketchup Google, and Sketchup 5 on their website. None of the features that have been removed would matter for woodworking purposes (things like organic terrain modelling, some advanced export options etc). I like Sketchup but I am far from an experienced user, over at Sawmill Creek there are a bunch of Sketchup enthusiasts so anyone interested might want to pop over there for some more information.

EDIT: Oh, and Sketchup deals with dimensions perfectly well.

Graham Sands
28th April 2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the tipoff Midge.

I have been carefully using my eight free hours to practice and now its free! Slight catch for me though, Mac version is not ready yet.

I think SketchUp could be quite usefull for drawing up woodwork projects.

I use the Movie Add-On in Google Earth Pro on a PC here at work (Architects) and being able to insert a 3D model will be fantastic. I'm assuming it will work with the Movie Option?

Thanks again for the link....

bitingmidge
28th April 2006, 05:54 PM
I think SketchUp could be quite usefull for drawing up woodwork projects.
It may be my big move into machine drawing! :eek: (Once the Mac version arrives of course!)

Mind you, MidgeCad Pro Lite has served me well all these years, and it would appear you are a (slightly) older dog than I, so maybe there is a new trick round the corner.

(Leave the smart replies for tomorrow Rocker! ;) )

Cheers,

P

Groggy
28th April 2006, 05:58 PM
This is really cool. I downloaded the package, drew up a design, loaded up giggle earth, span the globe clockwise 3 times to get 3 days into the future then zoomed into the workshop - pity about the cruddy resolution or I would have been able to see what the model would look like in real life next week.

I figure they keep the resolution down so you can't read the newspapers and get the winning lotto numbers.

;)

Caliban
28th April 2006, 06:01 PM
Yes Rocker, behave. Everyone else has open slather it seems. No not the orange room I meant an opportunity to tease Midge.
eh?
oh sorry I'll go and take my medicine now.:(

Graham Sands
28th April 2006, 06:05 PM
Groggy,

Get Google Earth Pro (unfortunately $200US).

With the extra resolution you won't need to build it?

Rocker
28th April 2006, 06:36 PM
Midge,

If only you didn't have an obsolete Mac you would be able to partition your disk and use Windows on one part and OS X on the other; then you would be able to use Google Earth, Google Sketchup, TurboCad, and all sorts of other goodies that you are presently excluded from:D

Rocker

echnidna
28th April 2006, 06:44 PM
Midge,

If only you didn't have an obsolete Mac you would be able to partition your disk and use Windows on one part and OS X on the other; then you would be able to use Google Earth, Google Sketchup, TurboCad, and all sorts of other goodies that you are presently excluded from:D

Rocker
;) ;)

bitingmidge
28th April 2006, 06:56 PM
Midge,

For those unfortunate beings, who seem to somehow survive without the benefit of a Windows platform, and who may not understand the light-hearted nature of the above, please go to the following links to download your Mac software:
Turbocad Mac (http://www.turbocad.com/prodinfo.asp?mcid=321)
GoogleEarth Mac (http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html)
Sketchup Mac (http://sketchup.google.com/download.html) Oh alright! Sketchup is coming soon (I guess they want to iron the bugs out before running it on the Rolls Royce!)

Cheers,

P
:p :p

Rocker
28th April 2006, 06:58 PM
Groggy,

Resolution is fine so long as you don't live in the boondocks, like Bitingmidge; here is a view of my place from Google Earth.

Rocker

Groggy
28th April 2006, 07:19 PM
Groggy,

Resolution is fine so long as you don't live in the boondocks, like Bitingmidge; here is a view of my place from Google Earth.

RockerNice place, I particularly like the big shed and the pool for holding the water stones :)

NewLou
28th April 2006, 11:33 PM
Gidday Fellas:D

Well guess what program I use?

THats right Sketchup Ver5 and in my opionion is the Best program for woodworking design BAR NONE!

I drew my workBench in the thread I'm sure most of you are familiar with after a week of using this program.

Its beauty is that it is so much easier to use than CAD there is heaps of easy support to get into and it produces the goods with ease.

GEt into SketchUP...........................its presently the Best keep secret going round!

I kid you not you wont regret it

REgards Lou;)

echnidna
28th April 2006, 11:36 PM
wot sorta learning curve Lou??

NewLou
28th April 2006, 11:46 PM
M8 is Ssssssssssssoooooooooo easy compared to other CAD programs which take a science degree, photographic memory and 100hrs just to learn how to draw a 3d image.

You'll be drawing a coffee table within 2 Hrs EASY!

If you have MSN Messenger and want some more Goodies PM Me

REgards Lou;)

tonysa
29th April 2006, 02:02 AM
not a bad find there Midge, just downloaded it. the video instructions are useful too. just gotta see how to place dimensions on the models.
i'll give you a greenie for that one :)
cheers
tony

davo453
29th April 2006, 07:21 PM
I am a long term Sketchup lover (I have version 5) it's ideal for quickly designing woodworking projects etc.

It can be very accurate but is not a a Turbo cad type design package but can export in various formats to that type of program.

I've used it for many things including an extremely accurate model of my house to the point that I can take measurements from the model instead of from the actual house.

In fact I initially found it a bit addictive and spent many hours modeling an assortment of objects, a prime example is the attached photo of my MP3 player, I've no idea why I did it but it's spot on (I'm a very sad case).

Cheers

Dave

journeyman Mick
29th April 2006, 11:32 PM
................You'll be drawing a coffee table within 2 Hrs EASY!............

Just give me a pencil and paper or a scrap of ply or even a clean bit of concrete and I can be drawing plans and details in minutes ;) . I use powered everything in the shed and avoid handtools like the plague, use a spreadsheet for calculating my cutting list costs, dishwasher for the dishes, dryer for the washing (don't even have a clothes line), a ride-on for mowing and a petrol powered blower for "raking" up leaves or cleaning out the gutters but I reckon it's hard to beat a pencil and paper for developing ideas, communicating plans or sorting out design details. I find the only (minor) drawback is when someone here asks a question that I would normally respond to with a drawing, it's too much trouble to draw it and then scan it into the 'puter.

Mick the darksider

bitingmidge
29th April 2006, 11:41 PM
I'll bet you've got one of those electric pencil sharpeners even Mick!

P
;)

ozwinner
29th April 2006, 11:53 PM
Just give me a pencil and paper or a scrap of ply or even a clean bit of concrete and I can be drawing plans and details in minutes ;) .

but I reckon it's hard to beat a pencil and paper for developing ideas, communicating plans or sorting out design details. I find the only (minor) drawback is when someone here asks a question that I would normally respond to with a drawing, it's too much trouble to draw it and then scan it into the 'puter.

Mick the darksider

Nooooooooooooooo.............................................
I dont wont to be a darksider, I figure they are all gay..

But I can draw up plans on a puddle of water if need be, just like Mick.

Nooooooooooooooo.......................................

Al :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

journeyman Mick
30th April 2006, 12:35 AM
I'll bet you've got one of those electric pencil sharpeners even Mick!

P
;)

Not quite, I use a propelling pencil in the office and carpenter's pencils on site or in the shed. Shaprening in the office isn't neccesary with a.5mm lead, on site it's a chisel or stanley knife with the lead being brought to a point by rubbing on the concrete. In the shed I use the linishing belt :D

Mick

Groggy
30th April 2006, 12:59 AM
I find the only (minor) drawback is when someone here asks a question that I would normally respond to with a drawing, it's too much trouble to draw it and then scan it into the 'puter.I find the same thing. I wonder if a tablet device would be a handy thing to use, or would it be a real PITA, having to save, attach etc - probably. Anyone comment?

mickp
30th April 2006, 01:03 AM
thanks for the link midge, am downloading it now.

all I have to do now is wait for the rugrats to be back at school so I can get some time on the pc to learn to use it :)

jow104
30th April 2006, 01:12 AM
The version I downloaded yesterday is only a trial (free version) that lasts for 8 hours. However others in the UK and the USA reckon they have downloaded a free version without a time limit.

Rocker
30th April 2006, 03:15 AM
Just give me a pencil and paper or a scrap of ply or even a clean bit of concrete and I can be drawing plans and details in minutes ;) . I use powered everything in the shed and avoid handtools like the plague, use a spreadsheet for calculating my cutting list costs, dishwasher for the dishes, dryer for the washing (don't even have a clothes line), a ride-on for mowing and a petrol powered blower for "raking" up leaves or cleaning out the gutters but I reckon it's hard to beat a pencil and paper for developing ideas, communicating plans or sorting out design details. I find the only (minor) drawback is when someone here asks a question that I would normally respond to with a drawing, it's too much trouble to draw it and then scan it into the 'puter.

Mick the darksider

Mick,

It seems to me that the free version of Sketchup might be just what you need to avoid any taint of Darkness. For drawing up quick sketches to explain a concept, Sketchup comes into its own. And you can't really complain about the price.

Rocker

journeyman Mick
30th April 2006, 12:27 PM
Rocker,
I don't have 'puter in the shed and I don't have a laptop to take on site (and wouldn't anyway even if I did own one). The point is, I can probably sketch out the problem and work out a solution in less time than it takes to boot up a 'puter and start up the required program and there's absolutely no learning curve or downtime. In the absence of pencil and paper I can probably even draw it in the dirt with a stick:D . I spent a lot of time supervising boat fitouts with very minimal documentation - just one page of plans, a general layout. All the details were worked out on the job and usually drawn in Nikko pen on the deck or bulkhead for the fabricator to work off on the spot. He couldn't lose the plans or accidently set fire to them either;) .
Of course the downside was that there were no detail drawings available when we built the shistership a couple of years later :rolleyes: but we had plenty of photos to jog our memories.

Mick

boban
30th April 2006, 08:04 PM

I've had some fun with this last night and must say its easy to use. Now the only way I can see that you can use dimensions is to keep using the tape measure which seems to be a real hassle.

Is there an easier way?

davo453
30th April 2006, 08:14 PM
I've had some fun with this last night and must say its easy to use. Now the only way I can see that you can use dimensions is to keep using the tape measure which seems to be a real hassle.

Is there an easier way?

Immediately after you draw a line or object, enter the dimension, for example after drawing a line type 80 and the line will be 80 long (depending on what you set your default unit to)

In the case of a rectangle enter 80,40 for the two sides.

Cheers

Dave

Driver
30th April 2006, 08:22 PM

Is there an easier way?

Click on Tools and Dimensions. This lets you place dimension lines adjacent to any part of the object. Like this (excuse the imperial dimensions :rolleyes: , I drew this before I learned how to set it for metric). Is this what you meant?

bitingmidge
30th April 2006, 08:29 PM
Every now and then, I look at this thread and wonder what a can of worms I've unleashed. (or jow or anyone else who found this stuff before me)

This seems like it's fired the imagination of everyone really, finally one that's easy to use!

Cheers,

P

jow104
30th April 2006, 08:54 PM
Every now and then, I look at this thread and wonder what a can of worms I've unleashed. (or jow or anyone else who found this stuff before me)

This seems like it's fired the imagination of everyone really, finally one that's easy to use!

Cheers,

P

My head is spinning, I think I will get out my grandsons leggo kit, I'm a more practical person.;)

tonysa
30th April 2006, 09:54 PM
yeah Midge, what have you done ???

I've only used one commercial 3D CAD package but seem many more and from my limited experience I must say this one seems pretty good. Ease of use is very high on my list. And this ones free !

I haven't had a much of a play with it yet, been checking out the videos but Driver has already solved one of my questions, thanks Driver

I'll have to D/L the full blown version and give that a try. Be interested to see if it can do auto fillet on edge selection etc, and to see how it compares with the solid works/ solid edge of the world.

Lots of good stuff to play with when i'm not in the shed (like when the rest of the family's watching my pet hate - big brother)

Cheers
Tony

Rocker
1st May 2006, 12:43 PM
Midge,

I have downloaded the free version, and will get into it, since it is so much easier for 3D representation than TurboCAD.

Before the free version appeared, I didn't think it was worthwhile to learn from the free eight hours of Sketchup 5 Pro, since it seemed too expensive to buy the program for almost $500.

I still prefer TurboCAD for 2D stuff though. Anyway, I think you will love Google Sketchup when the Mac version appears, which should be 'real soon now'.

Rocker

bitingmidge
1st May 2006, 01:03 PM
Anyway, I think you will love Google Sketchup when the Mac version appears, which should be 'real soon now'.r

I think it took two years for Google Earth to make the transition, so maybe by the time it happens I'll have the time to play!

P
:D

havenoideaatall
1st May 2006, 01:45 PM
I am a long term Sketchup lover (I have version 5) it's ideal for quickly designing woodworking projects etc.

It can be very accurate but is not a a Turbo cad type design package but can export in various formats to that type of program.

I've used it for many things including an extremely accurate model of my house to the point that I can take measurements from the model instead of from the actual house.

In fact I initially found it a bit addictive and spent many hours modeling an assortment of objects, a prime example is the attached photo of my MP3 player, I've no idea why I did it but it's spot on (I'm a very sad case).

Cheers

Dave

I modelled my house - not to scale using Sketch on Saturday and despite a few finicky details liked it. It kept on filling in rectangles (drawn as individual lines) occasionally but not on others. Whilst I did not bother specifying widths and lengths of rooms, the tip to getting the heights the same was to of course specify them with the keypad.

Rocker
2nd May 2006, 11:20 AM
Ok; so, if Sketchup is ideal for woodworking projects, I challenge the gurus to draw a reasonably accurate representation of my rocking chair, using Google Sketchup. The first person to succeed, and send me the file containing the drawing, will receive a free copy of my rocker plans, which, incidentally are in 2D, and were drawn using Autosketch. I have attempted to draw a 3D representation of my rocker in TurboCAD, but was defeated by the complexities involved, although I am sure it would be feasible for a TurboCAD guru.

So put up, or shut up about Sketchup being 'ideal' for woodwork plans.

Photos of my rocker are in my avatar, and in this thread http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=300899#post300899 .

Rocker

davo453
2nd May 2006, 11:38 AM
Interesting challenge, I feel confident I can make a sketchup 3d model to look like that. Sketchup is a design tool though really and accuracy is secondary but possible.

Your chair has a lot of organic curves, which are always tough with any 3D digital modeling software.

I'll give it a go tonight (hopefully)

Cheers

Dave

Caliban
2nd May 2006, 12:21 PM
Talk about the butterfly effect.
All this can of worms because I asked Midge (the architect) if he knew of an easy drawing program for a cripple to use. I suppose he found this sent the link to me, then posted this thread to share it with the rest of our "virtual family".
I'm about to download it. Usually I can't use such things, what with learning curves etc. But I'm buggered if I can turn my thoughts into pictures anyone else can understand using a pencil. So here goes nothing.
It's not like I've got anything else to do for the next month except gain weight.

echnidna
2nd May 2006, 01:36 PM
Whoever wins Rockers offer should assign him all rights to the image

bitingmidge
2nd May 2006, 07:04 PM
Talk about the butterfly effect.

Blame Caliban, I'm completely CAD illiterate, so it was a case of the blind looking for something the blinder could use!

:D :D :D
Let this be a lesson to all those who respond "do a search" (although I havent' noticed too many of them around.

If I had done that, Caliban would still be looking, and you blokes would have had to follow jow's thread!

Cheers,

P

jow104
2nd May 2006, 07:44 PM
There seems to be many different links to this free porogram, some of which are only 8 hour trials but this one seems to be a full free program.

http://sketchup.google.com/

Cheers.

tonysa
3rd May 2006, 12:12 AM
I got this after 30 or so mins, after viewing the tutorials and a lot of huffing and puffing. Some bits have me stumped, can't push/ pull curved surfaces and sometimes won't push/pull past a certain point on model but i reckon the last bit's me not using the software correctly.
The chair isn't well proportioned, I was learning technique rather than style.
Not sure how to do boolean operations (eg join, subtract), might be time to RTFM. Might have another go tomorrow.

jow104
3rd May 2006, 01:35 AM
Dont let Rocker see that one tonysa, Rocker will fall of his chair.:)

tonysa
3rd May 2006, 01:39 AM
LMAO
So what's wrong with my design huh ????
ok so maybe i don't want an honest answer ... best thing would be to quietly put it out of its misery and delete it.

Rocker
3rd May 2006, 08:29 AM
Tony,

Not a bad effort for an evening's work; but I think it needs quite a bit more work before it qualifies for the prize:) I would like to see a drawing from which people could recognise my rocker and distinguish it from, say, a Maloof rocker, or a Hal Taylor one.

Rocker

Groggy
3rd May 2006, 11:16 PM
For those learning this tool, there is another thread where tips are being posted (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=31307), it may help a bit.

davo453
4th May 2006, 11:57 AM
Ok here you go, not great but after an hour not too bad, to improve on it' I'd probably really have to start again from scratch.

It looks a little bit like your rocker anyway

Cheers

Dave

Groggy
4th May 2006, 12:10 PM
Nice job Dave!

Jon
4th May 2006, 03:19 PM
I find the same thing. I wonder if a tablet device would be a handy thing to use, or would it be a real PITA, having to save, attach etc - probably. Anyone comment?

Groggy, some of the Telstra field staff use a laptop called a "Tough Book". It is probably size of a ream of A4 paper, is a lot more robust than standard, has a proper keyboard and touch screen bit the really trick part is that you can swivvle the screen around so that it works like a tablet.

I will now shutup and get flamed by the darksiders :D

Jon

Rocker
4th May 2006, 04:31 PM
Dave,

That is not a bad attempt; but I don't think it really meets the standard of a prize-winning effort. It looks like a generic rocker, but doesn't have the key features that would distinguish my rocker from other makers' rockers. In particular, the back legs, the front legs, the backslats and the rockers in your drawing are all parallel to the vertical plane of symmetry of the chair, whereas in my chair none of these elements is parallel to that plane. In my chair, the rockers converge towards the back, the back legs and backslats are splayed out upwards, and the front legs are splayed out downwards. Also you have not been able to repesent the rounding-over of the chair parts well, or to produce the smooth transitions between the legs and the rockers.

I think that my client's success in building an accurate copy of my rocker, using accurate 2D plans produced by a true Cad program, contrasts with the difficulty you are having in producing a faithful representation of my rocker's features in 3D with Sketchup, and demonstrates my contention that 2D CAD is more suited to producing plans for woodworking projects. I prefer the convenience of having a built-in user-defined grid in to which the lines can be snapped. For projects which are entirely rectilinear, or at least do not include compound curves, Sketchup can work; but I still think I prefer a true CAD program.

Of course, if you are an expert in a high-end CAD program like AutoCAD, it would be possible to produce an accurate 3D representation of my rocker. But it would probably require a couple of years' experiece in learning AutoCAD, and a big outlay for the software. I don't think the end result would justify the effort and expense. Photographs provide a much more convenient method of 3D illustration.

Rocker

davo453
4th May 2006, 05:59 PM
Yep point taken Rocker and I wasn't really trying to win the prize, Given time it would be possible to do, but I lack the inclination. Also from your description the photograph provided clearly doesn't do your chair full justice, top, front and side photo's would be need to get it even close.

I do think you are missing the point of Sketchup though, It's not intended to be a drafting program capable of being used to reproduce an item using CAD-CAM techniques. After all woodwork (or at least my woodwork) is a free flowing art and unless I try very hard two items are never totally identical.

Simple overall dimensions and proportion are all I need to create any item in wood. I can see though that if you are selling plans accurate drawings are essential.

I can knock up a conceptual drawing that people can easily understand and get the feeling of a solid object extremely quickly with Sketchup, but like all good software there is a learning curve to negotiate.

If you look at the Sketchup site they primarily intended the software to be a conceptual design tool. That concept has sort of expanded and somewhat grayed the area between CAD and 3D software

Anyway if your happier working in 2D either computerised or with a pen and paper stick with it.

All the Best

Dave

jow104
4th May 2006, 06:33 PM
I use a 3D modelling program that is for use with microsoft Railway modeller. There are the usual 5 or 6 different basic object shapes, and co-ordinates are typed in to obtain dimensions. In addition there is a move tool and nodes that can be pulled about. Finally actual jpeg photographs of the object can then be pasted on the the shapes to give authenticity to an object created.
3 D is created by having 4 windows to view each orientation plus a moving 3D model can be put to all views.
Around 6 years old the software and supplied by Abacus.

PS and you can have moving pieces (wheels going round etc.)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th May 2006, 07:04 PM
I use a 3D modelling program that is for use with microsoft Railway modeller.

GMAX?

jow104
4th May 2006, 07:22 PM
GMAX?

Gmax I think is more advanced and the formats are more universal, plus it was an expensive program.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th May 2006, 07:41 PM
Ah, I was just wondering 'cos I use GMAX to model locos & rolling stock for Auran's Trainz.

I also use Maya & Lightwave for my other modelling... now they are expensive! :eek:

jow104
4th May 2006, 09:19 PM
Ah, I was just wondering 'cos I use GMAX to model locos & rolling stock for Auran's Trainz.

I also use Maya & Lightwave for my other modelling... now they are expensive! :eek:

Go to

http://www.abacuspub.com/

I think it cost me around £30 that was 6 years ago and free support which was superb (via email) Program downloads via web.

I would oblige but at that price and free support what more can I say.

They might give you a trial run, The manual had a super do this do that of 250 pages to make a complete railway line on the microsoft program, possibly wont work with your Trainz.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th May 2006, 01:19 AM
Go to

http://www.abacuspub.com/

I think it cost me around £30 that was 6 years ago and free support which was superb (via email) Program downloads via web.

I would oblige but at that price and free support what more can I say.

Ta mate, I'll give 'em a go. MSRS has been on my to-buy list for a while now, mainly 'cos I can convert formats between the two sims and wouldn't mind some of the MSRS rolling stock.

jow104
5th May 2006, 01:40 AM
Apologies to Mr. Midge for the greatest hijack yet?

bitingmidge
13th June 2006, 10:41 PM
It's here!!

Sketchup 4 mac!! :D :D :D

Guaranteed bug free it is!!!!

Cheers,

P

Rocker
14th June 2006, 04:34 AM
Peter,

I think you will find Sketchup great for architectural concept purposes, but I reckon that a true CAD program in 2D is better for detailed woodworking plans. I like to have a built-in grid to snap to.

Rocker

echnidna
21st June 2006, 09:16 PM
Peter,

I think you will find Sketchup great for architectural concept purposes, but I reckon that a true CAD program in 2D is better for detailed woodworking plans. I like to have a built-in grid to snap to.

Rocker

What programs do you suggest Rocker?

gpsmith
21st June 2006, 09:25 PM
I have recently bought a copy of Cadpro 4 from the US - which I am still trying to get my head around. I have also used Autosketch, an older version.
What ever program you use I think that you have to stick at it and have a lot of sandpit time unless you are lucky enough to know an expert who will teach you.
regards,

Rocker
21st June 2006, 09:28 PM
Bob,

I suggest either DesignCAD, AutoSketch, or TurboCad. DesignCAD is probably the easiest to learn; but TurboCad is more powerful and I prefer it. I don't think you need the 3D version of Turbocad, unless you need it to produce 3D diagrams for publication purposes. If you just need it for drawing plans for your own projects, 2D is all you really need. Mastering the 3D features of TurboCAD is a pretty steep learning curve, and as I say, not really necessary.

Rocker

echnidna
21st June 2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks Rocker,
I need to go the 3d route.
I've got Autocad R14 but its total a fool of a thing.
I wouldn't even bother with Autosketch so its out too.
So I'll look at Designcad and Turbocad.
I'm inclined towards Turbocad as it has some CNC add-on accessories.

sinjin1111
22nd June 2006, 01:11 PM
Hi guys, i have been a 3D CAD designer for about 12 yrs. Some of the very high systems are extremely expensive and really you pay for what you get. Having said that a lot of the cheaper CAD packages are capable of doing some very impressive work.
A few of the high end systems offer so called "Student versions" at a fraction of the cost. One package that i know of cost approx $200 US and if you had to buy this system as a full version it would cost you approx 25K. I know because i have this package.
The power of this software would allow you design and analise anything you care to design. It is used by just about all the major machine manufacturers around the world.

A friend of mine owns Turbocad and i must say for the money its a really top package. It even has a bill of materials for your design.
One point that would be of an advanatge is say you are drawing something like a tableb you have the legs top apron etc,
You can dimension the table as a complete assembly overall height width etc.
What would be nice is to take a leg say out that assemble and dimension only the leg on its own a single part.
This is where some of the packages differ greatly. This a simply example but when the design starts to get complex is becomes important.
Sinjin

Slavo
22nd June 2006, 01:59 PM
I've seen TurboCAD Professional v12 - Non Commercial for $280 (RRP $300)

Honest Gaza
22nd June 2006, 03:35 PM
I used Sketchup to produce many variations on an Awning that I wanted built for my house. By using the 3d "walkaround" capability, the final product was easy to visualise. I then gave the final picture to the builder and said, "Make it look like this"

I reckon he came pretty close.

rio2000be
30th June 2006, 04:05 PM
I've also worked a bit with Google's Sketchup, but found it frustrating to deal with dimensioning issues and translation of 3D models to 2D drawings. I recently bumped into another CAD program with a pretty impressive free version: Alibre Xpress http://www.alibre.com/xpress/software/alibre-design-xpress.asp

I'm not to the point of recommending it to woodworkers, although that's also my primary interest. I've found it difficult to master some of the essential skills in Alibre -- it's not as easy to get into as Sketchup -- but it's potential features are much more powerful, including the production of 2D plans after you've built a 3D model. I've decided my investment in learning Alibre will have much better payback than continuing to wrestle with Sketchup.

For those who are keen to use CAD for woodwork, this is definitely worth a look.

Auld Bassoon
30th June 2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks rio - I'll have a look at this :)

scooter
30th June 2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks also Rio, will have a look when time permits. Ta for the heads up.

Cheers....................Sean

echnidna
30th June 2006, 09:53 PM
I downloaded Alibre some time ago but hadn't started with it much coz it's got a bit of a learning curve so it needs a fair amount of time to work it out. But I agree Sketchup is just too limited for doing fully dimensioned plans.

echnidna
2nd July 2006, 06:30 PM
This site has a few different cad programs.

http://www.freecad.com/

Andy Mac
10th July 2006, 12:12 PM
I've just got broadband at home, so thought I'd have a crack at downloading this Sketchup program. I have to agree with the general feeling here: its a simple, almost intuitive program, and from a couple of attempts I'm starting to get the hang of it....but way off some of the examples you guys have posted! My kids are also getting into it, as they have been designing houses using the Sims game (with a $$$ cheat for unlimited budget!!:D ), and the drawing package is surprisingly similar.

I bought a student version of TurboCad 3D modeller a couple of years ago, for the express purpose of drawing up public sculpture commissions. Gave up in disgust, wasted my money really, as its way too hard for me to use!:o I couldn't even follow the tutorials. I'm so retarded with the computer that I keep falling back on Windows Paint, after stuffing up with CorelDraw, Photoshop...anything like that, they just seem so clumsy and complicated.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up with this one, I'm enjoying it.:)

Cheers,

Waldo
6th March 2007, 11:09 PM
G'day,

Just downloaded S/up v6 onto my P/Book, tomorrow I'll install it onto my G5. I was puzzled when I looked at the preferences to choose which measurement I prefer:

• metric metres
• metric centimetres
• metric millimetres

Are there imperial m, cm and mm? :?

And then I tried he tape to measure some stuff in NewLou's router table and I get this measurement "1495.00mm" whathe :doh: :? I know they don't understand most things, but get it right pal.

Otherwise a beaut and pretty simple programme and one I'll be using a fair bit. :2tsup:

Barry_White
7th March 2007, 01:50 PM
Although I know this thread was mainly about 3D Cad I am posting this here as others have been talking about Cad programs in general.

I have been using Sketchup and believe it is user friendly but I also have a few 2D programs e.g Autocad Lt 98, Deltacad and Turbocad. Now most of these programs have a pretty steep learning curve and as I have been doing some Council drawings (and they don't want the drawing in 3D) for a home improvement company and I didn't have the time to put into learning how to use them.

So I have been using Microsoft Publisher for several years for doing graphics and a few other projects and because it has improved so much over the years I thought I would see if I could do Council drawing in Publisher 2003.

Below is a result of what I can produce and I believe the learning curve is no where what it is in Cad programs.

It does have a few limitations that I have found a work around. One being scaling. Publisher actually works in true 1 to 100 scale. To work around this I just multiply or divide the measurement by the difference in scale and change the item measurement to that.

The attached drawing has two scales on it 1:100 and 1:400.

I don't know if this information is of any use to anyone but for what it is worth do what you like with it.

HotChips
7th March 2007, 04:50 PM
There's a list of the differences between Sketchup Google, and Sketchup 5 on their website. None of the features that have been removed would matter for woodworking purposes (things like organic terrain modelling, some advanced export options etc). I like Sketchup but I am far from an experienced user, over at Sawmill Creek there are a bunch of Sketchup enthusiasts so anyone interested might want to pop over there for some more information.

Perfectly well? Are you kidding?
Maybe for those on PCs, but I am on a MAc and find it such a hard program to use compared even to Illustrator, bearing in mind I use that everyday so am used to it. I feel Sketchups drawback is not being able to enter the 3 dimensions and have it displaying in mms. Yes I know it does let one overide the defaults but always reverts to inches. aargh. Just decided to dump this program and use something else, way too time consumingy to get even something simple done in it I find. I congratulate those with the patience to use it, I give up!:no: