PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop safety glasses from clouding over ?

JDarvall
28th April 2006, 08:41 PM
Probably the obvious answer to this is - > don't scratch them up....but for me thats a bit unrealistic.

I like those cheap but strong clear plastic ones ( not those soft ones with elastic...those are just annoying ).....There fine, except over time they cloud over from all the little scratches to the point I can't see well enough through them, and have to buy another.

Anybody got any clever tips for me on how to stop that ? , cause I go through about 2 or 3 glasses a year. Which I think is a waste.

I thought, maybe covering them with the clear contact you cover books with, and maybe just peal it off when its scratched up, and put another fresh layer on top. ?????....but then the contact may in itself make it hard to see through..

ta.

echnidna
28th April 2006, 09:00 PM
put a drop of dishwashing liquid on the lens and polish with a dry tissue -
no more mist.

JDarvall
28th April 2006, 09:04 PM
put a drop of dishwashing liquid on the lens and polish with a dry tissue -
no more mist.

I might have used the wrong words to describe the problem.

I meant, from wear the scratches make it cloudy viewing. Not from moisture,,, I don't want to have to pay a fortune for a pair of scratch proof safety glasses. I'll just step on them one day or something like.

echnidna
28th April 2006, 09:25 PM
na sorry I didn't read the question properly.

There used to be a clear film available to put over chainsaw clear plastic visors that'd probably do the job (if you can find it).

JDarvall
28th April 2006, 09:33 PM
na sorry I didn't read the question properly.

There used to be a clear film available to put over chainsaw clear plastic visors that'd probably do the job (if you can find it).

Thanks Bob. That gives me an idea. :)

bitingmidge
28th April 2006, 09:35 PM
Apricot,

There's this thing called taking care of the equipment!

You wouldn't put a plane down on anything harder than the blade with the blade exposed, so why don't you train yourself the same way with the safety glasses?

I use the bifocal variety, and pop 'em on my forehead mostly like a pair of sunnies. Must look pretty cool when I rock down to get the paper Saturday morning eh?

My reading glasses hang around my neck on a lanyard, so they never get scratched either, but I had a near miss last night. I was making a few cuts with the dado blade spinning at a million miles an hour, and leant over to check the alignment of the cut.... the glasses dangled to within a poofteenth of the spinning blade I reckon :eek: :eek: :eek: .

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

doug the slug
28th April 2006, 10:34 PM
...over time they cloud over from all the little scratches to the point I can't see well enough through them, and have to buy another.

Anybody got any clever tips for me on how to stop that ? , cause I go through about 2 or 3 glasses a year.

Mate, grab one of your oldest and scratched up sets, a cheap tube of toothpaste and a box of tissues and polish away!!! the toothpaste is abrasive enough to polish out the scratches without riuining the remainder of the surface. if you dont have the patience to do it manually then try a polishing pad on a rotary tool (dremel) or similar. ive never done it that way but cant see why it wouldnt work.

and for those who want glasses and visors not to fog up, from the inadvertant hijack above, use that Rainex they sell in k-mart for car windows and rainhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

journeyman Mick
28th April 2006, 11:53 PM
Jake,
if you have a soft polishing mop on your bench grinder it will work a treat to remove any scratches on your lenses.

Mick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th April 2006, 12:00 AM
Jeweller's rouge works a treat on repolishing glasses. That is what it's for after all. :) Dunno how it'd go on plastic ones though.

And for fogging, there's a product similar to Rainex used to stop the visors on bike helmets fogging up. I forget what it's called, I prefer an open face helmet, but now that I think of it I'll have to get some for my face shield when turning.

Expensive for it's size, but worth every cent.

tonyjune
29th April 2006, 12:26 AM
Go to your optometrist with your oldest frames in tow. Ask him to fit a pair of plano glass lenses to them. They will last for years providing that you dont drop them, and you can then polish them as described above.
I would strongly reccommend that you have an eye examination at the same time. In most cases it will be bulk billed.
Tony.

JDarvall
29th April 2006, 08:42 AM
Apricot,

You wouldn't put a plane down on anything harder than the blade with the blade exposed, so why don't you train yourself the same way with the safety glasses?

:o Your idea makes perfect sense.

I've got a short term memory problem when I get absorbed with my work. Crowded work environment, and often only a couple of hours to do anything at any one time, has me rushing about. Plenty of family interruptions as well has me putting them down on a table or someplace where they end up being knocked about........etc (sorry, winging again)

What I normally do is sit them on my hat so their ready to go, and so I always know where they are(hate searching frantically for something I just had in my hand when I'm in the middle of something), but then whenever I lean over they often drop to the cement. Do that once a day and they start to scratch up.

But thanks on all the ideas. I think I might lean towards Micks and Dougs idea's. See what happens. Important to be able to see the details.

rrich
29th April 2006, 09:08 AM
When I was younger and rode a motorcycle, I had a similar problem with the bubble shield for the helmet. The solution was to apply paste wax to the bubble shield. It's not a perfect solution but the bubble shields seemed to last much longer.

BobL
29th April 2006, 10:18 AM
Apricot,

There's this thing called taking care of the equipment!

. . . . .

Mine either on, or on my head, or on a wire hook above the TS.

scooter
29th April 2006, 09:46 PM
Read about someone using Meguirs (sp?) Swirl Remover for polishing scratches out of a plastic (presumably polycarbonate) safety visor.

Too dear for an experimental purchase I'd be tipping, but if you already have some... ;)

Cheers..................Sean

Ashore
29th April 2006, 10:36 PM
Jake try "Plexus" its a seppo product for plastic cleaning
www.PlexusPlasticCleaner.com (http://www.PlexusPlasticCleaner.com)
1-800-405-6495 Think thats a yank phone No

Had a badly marked screen on the motor bike ( 1988 BMW ) and this stuff bought it back to clear
Was given to me , presento , but think motor shops , repco , woofies etc carry it

Bottom line It works and works well

Rgds

CameronPotter
30th April 2006, 03:46 PM
I dunno about toothpaste, but don't use jewellers rouge. If you want to polish plastic (which is what this really is) there is a green polishing compound that should do it much better - afterall, that is its actual purpose.

Cam

Harry72
30th April 2006, 04:40 PM
Where are you storing your glasses in the sand paper drawer?
I've been using the same pair for several years(MSA cruisers), the reason they've lasted so long is I put them on as I walk in and only take them off as I walk out.
If you get use to wearing them constantly you'll forget they are even on... and feel strange without them on!

Auld Bassoon
30th April 2006, 08:31 PM
Jeepers Midge!

I hope that the lanyard was a weak one: imagine being pulled, face down, into the spinning blade :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

chrisb691
30th April 2006, 08:50 PM
Brasso and Silvo both work quite well, using cotton wool for the polishing medium. Takes a bit of patience, and persistance.

JDarvall
30th April 2006, 11:04 PM
Where are you storing your glasses in the sand paper drawer?
I've been using the same pair for several years(MSA cruisers), the reason they've lasted so long is I put them on as I walk in and only take them off as I walk out.
If you get use to wearing them constantly you'll forget they are even on... and feel strange without them on!

Bloody clever South Australians ! ;) .... so you wear them non stop while your in the shed ?......See, I don't like looking through glasses. I'll do it cause I have to at some machine, but generally, I feel as though what I'm seeing is a distortion of the truth. Things look a little different with them on, and I can't wait to get them off...... have the same problem with sun glasses. Just don't feel comfortable wearing them, even in bad glare.......some sunnys even make me feel a little nautious too.

Everytime I see your name Harry, I remember that magnetic jointer setting idea of yours and how I must try it. Should pull me finger out.

Thanks for all the ideas fellas. I might try Ashores idea I think.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th April 2006, 11:20 PM
Brasso and Silvo both work quite well, using cotton wool for the polishing medium. Takes a bit of patience, and persistance.

I should've thought of Brasso... 'tis what I use for "resuscitating" scratched CD's & DVDs. :o

scooter
30th April 2006, 11:39 PM
... which are polycarbonate, same plastic as the specs.

Hadn't heard of that use, Skew, sounds like a good 'un! What do you use for a cloth, an old cotton rag or something?

Cheers...............Sean

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th April 2006, 11:51 PM
Hadn't heard of that use, Skew, sounds like a good 'un! What do you use for a cloth, an old cotton rag or something?

An old chamois, that came out of a cheap'n'useless CD cleaning kit. :rolleyes: With patience it'll remove even fairly deep scratches, making the CD/DVD readable. The first thing I do on recovery is back it up and throw the "revived" one in the bit-bucket.

Of course, it won't make any difference if it's the printed side of the disc that's damaged. ;)

scooter
30th April 2006, 11:56 PM
Chamois, got it.

Bunnings had chamois covered sponges on clearance for 50c or $1 each (or thereabouts) a while back, so grabbed a few & cut up the chamois for video head cleaning and, er, CD & DVD reviving :o

Cheers mate...............Sean

CameronPotter
1st May 2006, 10:15 AM
Actually I am the same, I often wear them into the house and only realise that I have them on well after I have locked up the shed.

Actually, I even wear a pair under my Triton Respirator (in case I do anything stupid with the mask lifted).

Mind you, those cheapo ones are uncomfortable. I have some flash ones (they didn't cost much though). I got them from the local Mitre 10 and they are adjustable (both tilting backwards and forwards and they also have adjustable arm lengths).

Very cool and comfy. :cool:

Stuart
1st May 2006, 11:18 AM
Jeepers Midge!

I hope that the lanyard was a weak one: imagine being pulled, face down, into the spinning blade :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's exactly what came into my mind when I read that....shudder.....

CameronPotter
1st May 2006, 11:40 AM
And actually I didn't even want to think about it!

I don't want to have anyone here have any horrible accidents, so maybe you should change your habits a bit Midge, ay?

(Spent a bit of time in Qld too :p... See UBeaut's Woodshow post for this to make sense.)

Wood Borer
1st May 2006, 03:00 PM
That's exactly what came into my mind when I read that....shudder.....

A very funny but cutting remark :D :D

Jake,

I have heard spraying flyspray on plastics and buffing also works. The person who told me said the propellant partially dissolved the plastic.

bitingmidge
1st May 2006, 03:46 PM
Jeepers Midge!

Thanks for the concerns chaps, yep, it was a once-off (as far as I can remember:eek: ). Usually I wear bifocal safety specs, but it was pretty scary in retrospect!

doug the slug
1st May 2006, 04:47 PM
I have heard spraying flyspray on plastics and buffing also works. The person who told me said the propellant partially dissolved the plastic.

Maybe thats how apricotrippers glasses got foggy in the first place:D :D

As to midge and the glasses on a lanyard, my guess is that the glasses if a bit lower, would have caught in the blade and then been cut through against the table, releasing Midge before any damage was done. would have likely been a nasty jolt but the only first aid required would have been a change of jocks. thats just my thought on it and i have no intention of running any kind of testing. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wear my reading glasses for setting the scales and some marking up and the safety glasses for doing the actual cutting. theres a space for the one thats not in use on the bench:cool:

bitingmidge
1st May 2006, 05:25 PM
the only first aid required would have been a change of jocks. thats just my thought on it and i have no intention of running any kind of testing. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I had to do that and they didn't even make contact!

Cheers,

P
:D

Iain
6th May 2006, 11:03 AM
A few little pointers on optics from a friend of mine who manufactures sunglasses:
There are two plastics used in lenses, polycarbonate which is fairly soft and prone to scratching and CR (Columbia Resin) 39, CR39 is the better option but will cost more, it will scratch but not as easily as polycarb.
Distortion is caused by a couple of factors, one is uneven lens thickness and the other is a flat lens.
A good eyeglass has what is called a six base or eight base curve, that is essentially means that the lens is of even thickness and follows the curve of the eyeball so that there is an even spacing between lens and eye, or as near as practically possible for a mass produced off the shelf product.
As for sunglasses that cause nausea, sound like any one of a number of factors, cheap glasses (manufactured cheap like Oakley but big $$$ when they get here) do not adhere to the base curve and this combined with a tint that does not agree with you can cause the symptoms described, whilst it may be trendy to have a puke green lens, it can be hard on the eyes (read your eyes, not everyones) and cause problems.
Find a colour that suits you, I like grey for sunnies but I know some who prefer browns.
If the glasses are polarised just a little out of whack on one side can cause all sorts of visual effects like a ghost effect of what you are looking at.
All the sunnies I use are glass lenses, photochromic and polarised and (free plug coming up) are made by Lentech, also known as Oxygen or Spotters.
Not cheap but work.
I have seen Bolle safety glasses but do not know how well they work, their sunnies boast a 6 or 8 base curve but are only an acetate lens which are really soft, pity really because the optics themselves are quite good.
You may have to see an optician and get a set of safety glasses made, and don't lose or damage the bloody things.
Homily endeth.

journeyman Mick
6th May 2006, 11:15 AM
Iain,
I've been using the Bolle safety sunglasses for about ten years now and can recommend them. I tend to use them as my day to day sunnies as well and while the lenses aren't as good as my expensive (polarised) sunnies they are way better than cheapies and a lot of the "expensive" ones (read brand name cheapies). The lenses do scratch up after a while, but then mine do cop a hammering. You can buy replacement lenses though, which is what I do whenever they get too scratched.

Mick