PDA

View Full Version : epoxy/wood

joe moore
30th April 2006, 12:19 AM
so with a triple planked hull of cedar over oak ribs, i have applied epoxy and faired, painted with 'awl-grip '. it looks like a new f-glass boat, even though she's 35 years old. the insides have all been painted, white walls, bilge paint in lower frame work. so question is, should i worry about trapped moisture in wood between the glass and interior paint? i was fairly dry when all was a[[pled.
jomo

Daddles
30th April 2006, 12:10 PM
A 35 year old boat that's big enough to have that sort of construction.

please :D

There are others here who actually know what they're talking about so I won't offer any words of sage advice, but it does occur to me that, yes, there would be moisture in there but now that you've sealed the outside and inside, what could you do about it anyway :confused:

Richard

Boat please :D

Ecca
8th May 2006, 06:31 PM
Joe, My experience is if you worry enough the problem will go away IF there is a problem. Encapsulating only one side of the timber in epoxy and the other in paint may mean that any moisture trapped will probably go to the paint side. I assume that the paint is more porous than the epoxy [fairly normal] It will depend partly on the relative moisture content of the timber and the inside atmosphere of the hull. It perhaps would have been best to treat both sides of the timber the same. But DO NOT worry, it will only make you suffer. Wait and see.
Ecca:cool: