PDA

View Full Version : Google SketchUp free 3D CAD questions

scooter
30th April 2006, 04:55 PM
Gday all, read Midge's thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=31229) on this the other day, & downloaded the program last night, have had a play but only scratched the surface.

I'm on dialup so have only seen the first tutorial but the program is pretty impressive!

The pics NewLou is generating of his workbench WIP are from this program I think.

Does anyone know how to download the tutorials in one hit, rather than the stop start of streaming over a dialup connection?

Would also like to be able to download the help docs so don't need to be online to access it. Anyone know how? I have tried Save As (web page, complete; web page HTML only; or Text) with no luck.

Link for downloading the program is here (http://sketchup.google.com/download.html)

Cheers................Sean

NewLou
30th April 2006, 05:06 PM
Gidday Scooter:)

I used broadband BUT you might like to try the Sketchup forum here:

http://forum.sketchup.com/?f=4

You should be able to get onto some help for some of you probs fairly quickly here...................I'm sure other dialup members will point you in the right direction.

REgards Lou:)

Yihang
30th April 2006, 05:46 PM
they explain it ont he site. i seem to recall it simply involves right click then choosing save as.

they will be zip files and you need to open them in your internet explorer.

it will be a few hundred megs all together. maybe someone can make you a cd. i would but im overseas.

black1
1st May 2006, 12:05 AM
just tried to download. gonna take five hrs. only on dialup.:(

Scissors
1st May 2006, 08:11 AM
If you are on dial-up you could only download the basic tutorials (1, 2 and 3), offset tool, rotate tool and basic geometry and you would be fine.

Groggy
1st May 2006, 09:23 AM
just tried to download. gonna take five hrs. only on dialup.:(I downloaded it last night on a dialup connection. It took about 1hr 30 mins.

scooter
1st May 2006, 01:45 PM
Program itself dowloaded OK for me too, Greg, just the streaming vids I find a pain, and the online help.

Would rather set downloading & go & do something for a while, but doesn't look like it's possible.

Cheers.................Sean

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st May 2006, 09:47 PM
The only real complaint I've got is... how do you turn off the effin' 'snap to grid' or whatever SketchUp calls it?

I've been working in the mm scale, but once I get down to about 2 cm the damned thing snaps to the end- or mid-points when I'm trying to draw between 'em. I don't want 1cm increments, I want 1mm! :mad:

Groggy
1st May 2006, 11:05 PM
The only real complaint I've got is... how do you turn off the effin' 'snap to grid' or whatever SketchUp calls it?

I've been working in the mm scale, but once I get down to about 2 cm the damned thing snaps to the end- or mid-points when I'm trying to draw between 'em. I don't want 1cm increments, I want 1mm! :mad:It does not use a snap to grid like most packages. I flogged this from giggle's help pages (here (http://download.sketchup.com/OnlineDoc/F-Model_Settings_and_Managers/Settings-ModelInfo.htm)).

"The Model Info dialog box allows you to configure a number of different settings specific to your current SketchUp model. Activate the Model Info dialog box from the Window menu. The Model Info dialog box contains several panels, including the Dimensions panel for setting global dimensions and the Units panel for setting units to be used in your model....

Enable length snapping: Click the Enable length snapping checkbox to snap lines and other entities to the specified sized increments. Length snaps can be overridden by entering exact values into the VCB. Type the snap length in the text field to have SketchUp snap to specific increments when drawing.
Note - SketchUp does not have a grid snap option similar to other CAD applications."

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st May 2006, 11:10 PM
Thank ye, sirrah! No matter I couldn't find it in the preferences. It's a funny thing; it's surprisingly intuitive in some ways but in others... [shakes head] But I guess that could be put down to my ingrained preconceptions from using other modellers for so long.

I owe you a green... I'm behind in my sharing. :rolleyes:

Groggy
1st May 2006, 11:14 PM
Thank ye, sirrah! No matter I couldn't find it in the preferences.

I owe you a green... I'm behind in my sharing. :rolleyes:Funny thing is, I haven't even drawn a line or read a tutorial yet. I've had it open all night ready to use it but work has taken much longer than I allowed. Maybe tomorrow :( for me, but glad to help someone else tonight!

mingus
3rd May 2006, 05:36 PM
I've been playing around with this for a couple of days now and have a couple of questions.

1) How do you change the dimensions to be in mm instead of inches?

2) has anyone figured out how to do a mitred join in peices with a curved edge on them? i.e., a picture frome with a curved profile routed on the edge.

thanks,

Mingus

Auld Bassoon
3rd May 2006, 07:28 PM
I've been working in the mm scale, but once I get down to about 2 cm the damned thing snaps to the end- or mid-points when I'm trying to draw between 'em. I don't want 1cm increments, I want 1mm! :mad:

Skew,

Why not just change your mind-set and think of 1cm AS 1mm - just remember the 1:10 ratio later on when making a cutting list :D - after all, it isn't really the absolute scale that matters, but rather the relative one.

Groggy
3rd May 2006, 09:47 PM
1) How do you change the dimensions to be in mm instead of inches?

2) has anyone figured out how to do a mitred join in pieces with a curved edge on them? i.e., a picture frome with a curved profile routed on the edge.To work in millimeters:

Open your project
Click on Window -> Model Info in the Menu Bar up top (a small window appears).
Click on Units in the left pane.
Select Format -> Decimal
Select -> Millimeters in the combo box next to it.Note: I also selected Precision -> 0.00 (because I am an optimist)

If anyone knows how to display measurements so you can print a scale drawing, please advise (the following is the answer to my own question.)

Click on View -> Toolbars
Select -> Construction
The tool bar will appear, then if you choose the icon with the "3" on it you can then select the points on your drawing to dimension. Don't forget the final step of pulling the dimension away from the drawing to place the lines alongside (try it, you'll understand what I mean)

PS: This is what my shop looks like, no roof and disguised as a garage.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd May 2006, 11:22 PM
2) has anyone figured out how to do a mitred join in peices with a curved edge on them? i.e., a picture frome with a curved profile routed on the edge.

1. Create your profiled piece as you would an ordinary piece of stock.
2. Create a plane that I Like to think of as the "saw-blade."
3. Postion the "saw-blade" where you want the cut. (Pic. 1)
4. Select all faces, including the blade.
5. Select Edit/Intersect with Model
6. Using the eraser tool, you can now remove the "saw-blade" and unwanted piece of stock. (Pic 2 ) :)

This is far more accurate than trying to move each end-point manually! [shudder]

bitingmidge
3rd May 2006, 11:27 PM
Macintosh: Coming Soon

Sigh!

P

tonysa
4th May 2006, 02:29 AM
i think mingus means a fillet, or radiused edge that goes all around box face edge, bit like passing a round over router bit around top face of box. where the two intersect on a corner is not easy for cad software.

i can't get the push pull to do it, may have to design the fillet as a separate object and intersect with all edges

to late to try now

cya

DPB
4th May 2006, 10:17 AM
To work in millimeters:

Open your project
Click on Window in the Menu Bar up top (a small window appears).
Click on Units in the left pane.
Select Format -> Decimal
Select -> Millimeters in the combo box next to it.Note: I also selected Precision -> 0.00 (because I am an optimist)

Groggy, you have confused me. When I click on Windows I get a drop-down box but nothing with Units. To change units of measure, I went to Windows>Preferences> a dialogue box entitled Systems Preferences opens, select Templates>Millimeters.

However, my problem is one of scale. If I draw a rectangle 300,300 it's so small that it's difficult to work with. How does one change the scale other than cheating by calling 300, 3000?

Groggy
4th May 2006, 10:36 AM
Groggy, you have confused me. When I click on Windows I get a drop-down box but nothing with Units. To change units of measure, I went to Windows>Preferences> a dialogue box entitled Systems Preferences opens, select Templates>Millimeters.

However, my problem is one of scale. If I draw a rectangle 300,300 it's so small that it's difficult to work with. How does one change the scale other than cheating by calling 300, 3000?I've updated my post, it should have read Windows->Model Info.

I use the wheel on my mouse to zoom in and out, not sure what the other issue is.

cheers.

davo453
4th May 2006, 11:14 AM
However, my problem is one of scale. If I draw a rectangle 300,300 it's so small that it's difficult to work with. How does one change the scale other than cheating by calling 300, 3000?

If you push the "Zoom extents" (see image below) button the image resizes so that it fits in the view pane. Or scroll in with the wheel button on your mouse, if you don't have a wheel mouse it's time you got one.

Cheers

Dave

PS I just realised that that symbol is in Sketchup 5 and it may not be the same in your version, there will be something that looks like it though.....

Groggy
4th May 2006, 12:19 PM
Since a lot of guys are playing with this software at the moment, why not be productive while playing.

May I suggest that your first drawing be a scale replica of a tool you have eg DeWalt thicknesser, jointer, TSC10 etc. Once it is done, post the file here or on Googles page for other members to use. That way we should be able to fairly quickly build representations of our workshops and try new layout ideas reasonably easily.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th May 2006, 12:34 PM
i think mingus means a fillet, or radiused edge that goes all around box face edge, bit like passing a round over router bit around top face of box. where the two intersect on a corner is not easy for cad software.

i can't get the push pull to do it, may have to design the fillet as a separate object and intersect with all edges

to late to try now

Ummm... do you mean the organic bit in the corner where the router bit arcs away from the mitre on the inside of a frame? (The outside is simple.) No, I haven't seen any simple way to do that. In other SW I'd use the same profile I used the push/pull tool on and do a rotational extrude on the inner corner, but this is another function SketchUp doesn't seem to have. :(

Perhaps the "follow-me" tool may manage it with some coaxing, but I don't have high hopes. Still, can't complain for the price.

davo453
4th May 2006, 12:34 PM
Good idea Groggy. Heres one I did a year or so ago of my Carbatec BAS-350

I'd post the sketchup file but it's 186kb and too big to post, were else can I send it?

Cheers

Dave

mingus
4th May 2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks Groggy, Skew and DPB

Groggy, your solution only seems to work for that particular model, what DPB suggests will set the default to mm so you don't have to change every time you start a new model.

Skew, thats exacly what i mean, 4 peices like that could be assembled to form a frame.

Tonsya, i am after a fillet all the way aound a table top, but i don't think sketch up is capable of it, i'll have to make do with Skew's method.

thanks all,

Mingus

bitingmidge
4th May 2006, 06:51 PM
Tonsya, i am after a fillet all the way aound a table top, but i don't think sketch up is capable of it, i'll have to make do with Skew's method.
I must be missing something, isn't that what Dave did with his MP3 Player?
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22861&d=1146298863

P:)

kayu
4th May 2006, 07:48 PM
Nice idea Dave, modelling your own tools. Before you do so have a look at www.yda-online.com/shopmodels.htm (http://www.yda-online.com/shopmodels.htm), many tools!!

Mingus, mayby this works fore you, aply the profile on the frame styles before you assemble, then "cut" the miters like Skew showed. Create a component and make the frame.

See attachments

Kayu

davo453
4th May 2006, 08:09 PM
Yep saw those Kayu, those are the ones you can get from the Sketchup web site as well, it's also worth looking in the new Sketchup warehouse http://www.sketchup.com/index.php?title=1468 there is a nice model of a Delta contrators saw on there.

I'll probalby post my stuff on there too......

Good to see this program really taking off with Googles help, I've been extolling it's virtues for several years now.

Dave

Shedhand
4th May 2006, 08:31 PM
I must be thick. All I can draw is squares with 10,000 weird pointy bits sticking out. I also have absolutely no experience with CAD. Seems there are some concepts I must get my head around. :(
I don't even draw plans for the things I make. :eek: Its all done in my head.:confused: :o

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th May 2006, 01:14 AM
I don't even draw plans for the things I make. :eek: Its all done in my head.:confused: :o

Come on... you must draw plans! It's all part of the process. Sit there for hours, dreaming up wonderous designs, sketching 'em on paper and then laboriously transferring 'em into a detailed isometric drawing.

Then head for the shed to start the build, begin prepping the stock and, with the wood making the decisions as per usual, end up with something not even remotely resembling the original design. But if any-one says they like it, you can offer to sell 'em the plans... :rolleyes:

Shedhand
5th May 2006, 02:01 AM
Come on... you must draw plans! It's all part of the process. Sit there for hours, dreaming up wonderous designs, sketching 'em on paper and then laboriously transferring 'em into a detailed isometric drawing.

Then head for the shed to start the build, begin prepping the stock and, with the wood making the decisions as per usual, end up with something not even remotely resembling the original design. But if any-one says they like it, you can offer to sell 'em the plans... :rolleyes:The upside of not using plans is that I always end up with lots of useful length off-cuts. :cool: It must be a left-brain thing. :confused: I don't have the ability to transfer whats in my head to a plan on paper. Same with music. :( If I hear a new song I like I can have it down (that is, play it on my guitar) within a few minutes but could I put it to a manuscript? A big fat NO! :(

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th May 2006, 02:14 AM
The upside of not using plans is that I always end up with lots of useful length off-cuts. :cool:

So do I, usually exactly 1cm short... :o

mingus
5th May 2006, 11:09 AM
I must be missing something, isn't that what Dave did with his MP3 Player?
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22861&d=1146298863

P:)

hmmm, i missed that one too, how did you do that, Dave?

davo453
5th May 2006, 11:32 AM
hmmm, i missed that one too, how did you do that, Dave?

I take it you mean the rounded edge around a curved surface?

If I remember rightly I did it by using the dome from the components list and used the scale tool to push and pull it in to shape then switched "hidden Geometry" to on, that means you can see the lines that the dome is made of and delete the ones you don't need.

That sounds harder than it actually is.

Sketchup is a a bit smoke and mirrors in some areas, minor curved edges are made pretty convincing by using the erase tool while holding down the control key.

Hope thats was helpful.

Cheers

Dave

zenwood
20th June 2006, 03:04 AM
Seems that you can download models from google warehouse, but you have to have a google acount to upload them. Anyone know what's involved in getting a google account?