PDA

View Full Version : The Leady Lathe info

hughie
30th April 2006, 08:06 PM
Hi,

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/leady1.html

I spent a couple of enjoyable of hours with Bruce Leadbetter in his workshop looking over his lathe and his tools.
Bruce put it through it places for us. As it sat on a flimsy table it was rock steady, so much so we balanced a 50c coin on it with ease.
He sells it with his patented chuck, three tool rests, plus the usual extras all for $1350. As he puts it 'I dont advertise and have no agents, so its cheaper'.Bruce reckons his keyless chuck will hold what ever the lathe can handle. When you buy the lathe he also includes plans for the stand, cut frmm one sheet of plywood. It has hollow legs that can be filled with sand for greater stability
He makes them up in batches of 50 in his workshop out the back and sells about 30 per year.Well worth the money in my opinion. My friend who came with me took one home with, could not load it in his ute faster enough. I will be up grading to this lathe when I get the new shed built.
If you want to catch up with Bruce he's at the Oyster Bay Wood Turners Guild every third Sat giving free lessons. Other wise call in at his home and have yarn with him.
hughie

Salty
4th May 2006, 11:29 PM
Hi Hughie, glad to see you were suitably impressed with the Leady. I think they are great value and will do a lot of things others can't. I'll take some pix of the stand I made if you would be interested - it basically follows the leady plan but is made out of an old 30mm laminated benchtop (freebie) and for me works well.:)
I'll post the pix in the next few days
Cheers
Salty

hughie
5th May 2006, 01:34 AM
Hi Salty,
I would greatly appreciate your pics. I have done a brief design from the Leady plans.Some thing similar to his but with a few variations. Any further info can only help. Thanks

hughie

Salty
11th May 2006, 10:12 AM
Hi Hughie,
hav'nt had time to do the pix yet but have not forgotten!!!;)

hughie
14th May 2006, 01:07 AM
hav'nt had time to do the pix yet but have not forgotten!!!;)
[/QUOTE]

Hi Salty, no worries, I have been very busy myself. hughie :)