PDA

View Full Version : Haven 12.5ft

Ecca
30th April 2006, 09:57 PM
I am trying to determine how many Haven 12.5 ft gaff rigged day sailers have been started or built in Oz. These boats of 16ft OA length designed by Joel White were a centreboard version of Herresschoffs famous Buzzards Bay design. I have enquired with WoodenBoat magazine to no avail. I believe there are at least two and I built one of them.
Can anyone up the number of just two or aren't we serious boat builders in Oz
Ecca

Wood Butcher
30th April 2006, 10:13 PM
Can anyone up the number of just two or aren't we serious boat builders in Oz

Interesting Statement:confused:. I've only just started to get into wooden boat building and have finalised the details for my first project. I believe that Ozzies are very serious about boat building. Just take a look at the Goolwa boat festival in SA. The haven looks like a nice project but just because there aren't heaps built here doesn't mean anything except that maybe Australian preferences for sailing boats are different from elsewhere.

bitingmidge
30th April 2006, 10:30 PM
I s'pose if I replied that the serious boat builders were building lightweight efficient structures that work beautifully hydrodynamically rather than heavy replicas of classic North American designs, I'd be thought of as an Ass???

(To be taken in the spirit intended, realising that the writer has just completed two far from classic, but North American designs none the less!)
;)

Seriously though, nice boat though it may be, there may be one or two others out there, but they are a quiet bunch aren't they?

Cheers,

P

Paddo Woodie
18th June 2006, 02:49 PM
I'm just about to start one. The plans should be here next week.
Rick

Edwin
20th January 2007, 12:00 PM
Hey Paddo, have you started your boat yet? I am considering building one, too. I've just ordered "Building the Haven 12 1/2 footer" from Amazon to whet my appetite. I'd be interested to hear your experience with the construction.

mcchaddy
22nd January 2007, 10:33 AM
Hi All,

Thought I would post a few pic's of a Haven 12 & 1/2 my cousin is building. It is blanked with Huon over Celery top frames and keelson. The transom is Honduras Mahogany and white oak is used through out the inside. These photo's are a bit old now as the hull is now caulked and undercoated.

Paddo Woodie
3rd February 2007, 04:55 PM
Hi Edwin,

I am about half way through the moulds. Lost a lot of time over Christmas with visitors ect.

Hope to get it into the water next summer.

Cheers Rick

Tex B
3rd February 2007, 07:09 PM
Ecca,

Quite sure there's been more than two built in Oz. I know of several that have been built in Sydney, but have not looked for five or six years. You might ask the same question on the wooden boat forum, from woodenboat dot com, or do a search there or here for haven.

It is not a great racer, but is an incredibly beautiful little boat.

Tex