PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup Design Gallery

NewLou
30th April 2006, 11:03 PM
Gidday:)

As most of you are aware an exciting genesis is occuring round the forums with the introduction of Googles free version of SketchUp!

I thought it would be great to start a Gallery thread of all members CAD design Efforts. My first MAsterpiece was the concept design of My first Workbench.

Please Post your CAD Design here for comment suggestions etc etc

I'll kick things of with a post of My BEnch n a few other odds n sods

REgards Lou:)

scooter
30th April 2006, 11:46 PM
Righto, Lou, I'll see your bench, and raise, er no, lower ( ;) ) you a Clock Radio Stand for the kids.

First crack at the program, for ####s & giggles.

I've set the lower benchmark now ! :D

Cheers..............Sean

NewLou
30th April 2006, 11:53 PM
GReat start m8 well done!!..........don't worry you'll catch up!

REgards Lou:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st May 2006, 01:55 AM
Hmmm... nice toy. :) Nice'n'quick for sketching but I think I'll stick with my exxy wares for design work.

Anyways, here's a quicky design I've thrown together for a wind-up TS. Proportions are out & it ain't to scale, it needs a tad more work... (OK,OK... I got bored) but do ya reckon the basic design'll catch on? ;)

Barry_White
1st May 2006, 10:05 AM
This is my contribution.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=300233&postcount=12

Wongo
1st May 2006, 10:19 AM
Skew ChiDAMN, one leg of your orange TS is bended. Is it part of the design?:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st May 2006, 10:23 AM
All 4 are, it's just not obvious at that perspective. :)

kayu
1st May 2006, 06:17 PM
I'm really pleased to see some forum-members discussing the merits of Sketchup as a woodworkers tool.

After my fall from the ladder and breking my heelbone I used it manytimes since I was not able to move around in my workshop. See this post http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=249371#post249371

Attached is a drawing of a sunbed I made. My plan is to make this bed using the drawing.
If you play a little with the displaysettings you get this"sketchy"apearance.

Like I a said in the previous post, modelling with Sketchup almost feels like working with wood.

A good source of information is the users forum on the Sketchup website. There are some helpfull woodworkers active.

Also worthwile visiting is http://www.sketchucation.com/ wich has some usefull excercises specific to woodworking. You should also see the collection of woodworking tools modelled in Sketchup at http://www.yda-online.com/shopmodels.htm
The models could be usefull while laying your next workshop:D.

Keep woodworking and modelling in Sketchup!

Kayu

ozwinner
1st May 2006, 06:44 PM
My contribution.

Its the first morning of the Working with Wood Show, everyone is hangin to get in, and fiddling in their pockets..:rolleyes:

Funny how all woodies look the same?

Al :p

Auld Bassoon
1st May 2006, 08:15 PM
But where are the Foilies Al?

I too downloaded the program today on (my own) machine at work, and had a play over lunch. Very easy to use, but I'm not convinced about dimensioning, etc - yet.

NewLou
30th April 2010, 08:20 PM
Thought I might try to revive this one after looking round n noticing some of the 'new school' sketchup talent :2tsup:

It would be awesome to see some of the forumite designs!!!!

Heres my next 2 projects still in the refinement stage but well on the Way!

REgards Lou

martrix
30th April 2010, 08:46 PM
nice work Lou.

Here is a one I did a few months back. It is 100% to scale of a fitout I did for a cafe. I was stunned at how accurate the drawing was to what actually got built. Everything turned out spot on. It was quite weird building and installing it as I had spent a lot of time buried in the 3d drawing and to then see it come to life in the shop was....well, weird.

I must say my comp is a good 6-7 years old so its down on power, but with a decent detailed drawing like this one, it struggled.:(

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/skt1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/skt2.jpg

NewLou
30th April 2010, 08:56 PM
Thats Awesome :2tsup:

Put simply love your work...............Shes an absolute cracker! Must have been a real buzz to see her go from the design phase ................... to reality!

I really wanted to render mine in podium or autocad but to be honest have forgotten how! Am presently working on a Krenov style cabinate so will post once shes complete!

REgards Lou :D

martrix
30th April 2010, 09:37 PM
yes, must say Ive let slip the rendering side of things. Dont know what program to use these days. I dont think my current computer would be up to the task of rendering anyway, probably have to let it run for 8hrs to do it!

NewLou
3rd April 2011, 11:09 PM
Gidday :D

Heres another design ive been working on am trying to pull off a floating set of draws it dosent feell quite resolved yet so any comments suggestions welcomed.

Regards Lou

rhancock
4th April 2011, 09:52 PM
My first sketchup , so be gentle.

And Lou, I think your supporting frame is too heavy to allow your drawers to float - maybe reduce the thickness of the timber?

NewLou
5th April 2011, 10:28 AM
Gidday Richard great start with your drawing!:2tsup:

Yeah I think your right in regards to the supporting frame will try a few tweaks! great suggestion!.......................

Regards Lou

brandy20
6th April 2011, 03:40 AM
Gidday :D

Heres another design ive been working on am trying to pull off a floating set of draws it dosent feell quite resolved yet so any comments suggestions welcomed.

Regards Lou

Nice drawing Lou :2tsup:

With some more care in materials application it would look excellent!

NewLou
6th April 2011, 05:51 PM
Nice drawing Lou :2tsup:

With some more care in materials application it would look excellent!

Yeah thanks ..................... :D

Just a prototype @ his stage n well underway in refinement im really interested to hear your suggestions and perhaps expand on what you mean by the above????

Regards Lou :2tsup:

brandy20
6th April 2011, 11:08 PM
I suppose that when you apply materials you edit components before. That's the way to have control on them. Materials are obviously tiled but you can drag and shift them to avoid seeing the seam line. You also have other options available from the context menu. For example you can rotate a material to show grain in the correct direction.

I'd like to make a tutorial on this for the blog

Luca

NewLou
6th April 2011, 11:55 PM
Do you an something like this?

brandy20
7th April 2011, 03:30 AM
Yes, that is the idea. It looks like a photorealistic rendering. Unless you did it expressely, you could rotate the grain on the apron to make it more realistic. It would be also useful to folks new to woodworking to show how the grain should run. For that Edit the component and right click on the mouse. Choose Texture - Rotate - 90 degrees

Luca

laya
19th January 2012, 09:54 PM
Hi Guys, the attached a series images are of design for a piece which has just been made. It was designed in sketchup and rendered in Kerkythea. The only real image is the one in my kitchen.

Cheers