PDA

View Full Version : gatic required for cross over

XT4V
1st May 2006, 09:41 AM
hi all. at the front of my property (that was sub divided), there is a stormwater drain junction pit.

I have been dealing with council regarding the issue and have come to a 99% agreement with both myself and council.

The general idea is to incorporate a single part gatic access cover that will be concrete filled, over the pit and incorporate it into the cross over.

Refer to: http://esvc000657.wic021u.server-web.com/Catalogue/Gatic/1part.pdf

How many people have had experience with installing gatics within cross overs? Is there anything I need to look out for/be aware of?

Tools
2nd May 2006, 10:04 PM
One tip...make sure the lid is installed and pour the whole lot in one hit.Don't take the lid out thinking it will be easier or neater.

Tools

XT4V
2nd May 2006, 10:43 PM
thanks for the reply, looks like not many people have had experience with them.

Tools, how many have you installed? The current pit is at the kerb height, so it will need to be cut down to the height of the cross over (100mm lower give or take). Is it a hard thing to do?

KeepaTalk
3rd May 2006, 06:42 AM
Gday

The gatic should be sitting on a concrete pit. So you'll need to cut the pit down to the required height using a demo saw.

If you've never used one before they can be quite tricky!! Alternatively you could use a grinder with a diamond blade. It might take a bit longer but, should be a bit easier.

Cheers

KeepaTalk

TommyC
3rd May 2006, 09:27 AM
Shop around, for the gatic lid too, because in melbourne there are a few different manufacturers, and prices can vary. Gatic is a brand name, but tends to get used as a generic description (like Stackhat for bike helmets).

If you are mucking around with lowering the pit height, is the pit already in the ground? if so, maybe its easier to use an electric jackhammer to break down the pit walls to the right height. Noisier and messier, and leaves an uneven top which would need to be grouted up to make a level seat for the pit lid, but could be a less frightening prospect than jumping down into a stormwater pit and swinging a petrol demo saw (or a 9" grinder) that can seriously bite you if you dont cut straight.

XT4V
3rd May 2006, 10:02 AM
the pit is already in the nature strip. it is a storm water junction, so it looks like the kerb side drain where water runs into, but there is no kerb drain, just the lid on the pit sitting in the nature strip.

I am pretty keen at giving things a go, but this seems a bit out of my league.

Might have to get someone to quote on the whole job, gatic/grate, excavation and cross over