PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Varity Recommendation?

some_one
1st May 2006, 05:13 PM
Hi, I am looking for a good type of lemon for Melbourne, it should be thin skin lemon, all year round, tree size is no problem but the problem is that we have clay in the yard so what and how to fix it to make it ready for the plant? Also some one said plant a 'LIME' not a 'LEMON'....what is the different and which is better?:o Hummm????:)

Chesand
1st May 2006, 06:58 PM
We have a Meyer lemon - provides more lemons than we can use and is only about 1.5 metres tall and about the same in diameter. The lemons are not as tarty as other varieties and the tree does not have spikes. I don't know about soil conditions but suggest you ask at local nursery.

johnc
1st May 2006, 10:37 PM
Lemons don't like wet feet or really heavy frosts, but are otherwise pretty tough. Ask the nursery but generally if your soil gets really sodden you might have to mound slightly and plant a tad higher than the other ground, or pick a slightly elevated area in the yard. We have the Meyer lemon as well and get fruit year round, it's only down side is that it might be a tad mild if you want a "real" lemon taste.

John

Carry Pine
2nd May 2006, 09:00 AM
We have a Meyer lemon - provides more lemons than we can use and is only about 1.5 metres tall and about the same in diameter. The lemons are not as tarty as other varieties and the tree does not have spikes. I don't know about soil conditions but suggest you ask at local nursery.

yes, meyer is the way to go. But you know what you must do when it gets established! You need to fertilise/ water it a particular way. believe me it works.

Termite
2nd May 2006, 02:43 PM
yes, meyer is the way to go. But you know what you must do when it gets established! You need to fertilise/ water it a particular way. believe me it works.
He's too polite to say p!ss on it. Actually fertilising with Urea will do the same thing a bit more hygenicaly.

Iain
2nd May 2006, 02:53 PM
Lime is also a citrus but has a green skin and green flesh, different taste altogether.
We ahve had one growing for about 3 years but no fruit to date.
Having said that we also have 2 lemons which are also doing sod all, don't know what the problem is, and I hate buying the amount of lemons we use, and I hate even more buying limes at about 50c each, and they are small too.

Termite
2nd May 2006, 03:10 PM
Lime is also a citrus but has a green skin and green flesh, different taste altogether.
Having said that we also have 2 lemons which are also doing sod all, don't know what the problem is, and I hate buying the amount of lemons we use, and I hate even more buying limes at about 50c each, and they are small too.
The crop on our lime tree has been destroyed for 2 years in a row by hail, have had to pay up to 90c each for limes up here, bugger.

Zed
2nd May 2006, 03:37 PM

Ian limes are yellow too. they are picked and sold green so turkeys like you and me can tell the diff between lemons and limes!

I reckon "lemonade" is the go - not too bitter, no thrns and you can eat em raw!

all citrus are heavy feeders - I suggest a kilogram of dynamic lifter every few months. or on it once a week. when the tree is young pinch off the buds so that it decides to grow instead of putting all its nutrients and effort into fruit. do this for about 3 or 4 seasons and off you go.

make sure you pick off about 1/3 of buds on each branch so the branch dont break with the weight!

cheers

some_one
2nd May 2006, 05:01 PM
Thankx for the help guys, one thing I have learnt is cheap fertiliser or say free fertiliser:D , secondly I did ask at a garden place and the advice was this is good this is good this is good see what you want, back to square one, but I did hear the name Meyer, and as many people have said I think it will be the way to go. As for the clay I have been told to use gypsum to break the clay. but there is conflict on the amount I should use that will not damage the plant, so can some one suggest a rough idea of how much gypsum should be used? In simple terms..:)

lnt9000
8th May 2006, 10:56 PM
They can be difficult to settle in to their new home, I planted one here and it died, there and it died , over there and it died, I thought one last try over there and it kicked off, why? biik, yet I've seen others flourishing and the owners never water, feed or go near it, they dont even pick the fruit, maybe thats the secret. I think If your gonna on it you would want to be careful about what you've been drinkin', as too much acid will kill it, oh and there is a lemon tree fertilizer you can buy, put it on the trunk and it will die, did that so I know!, apparantly you place the fertilizer around where the underground roots would extend to, well away from the trunk, put too much though and it will die.:rolleyes:

havenoideaatall
10th May 2006, 10:13 AM
They can be difficult to settle in to their new home, I planted one here and it died, there and it died , over there and it died, I thought one last try over there and it kicked off, why? biik, yet I've seen others flourishing and the owners never water, feed or go near it, they dont even pick the fruit, maybe thats the secret. I think If your gonna on it you would want to be careful about what you've been drinkin', as too much acid will kill it, oh and there is a lemon tree fertilizer you can buy, put it on the trunk and it will die, did that so I know!, apparantly you place the fertilizer around where the underground roots would extend to, well away from the trunk, put too much though and it will die.:rolleyes:

My wife went for the Lisbon on advice she got.

scooter
10th May 2006, 09:36 PM
I had to re-read your post, have... ;) :D :D :D