PDA

View Full Version : dovetails

ddeen
2nd May 2006, 09:09 AM
I have been reading posts on this site for awhile but just now doing my first upload. The genuine/down to earth attitude of the members is what I really like about this forum. Special thanks to one of the members who encouraged me to come out of my shell.

One of my recent projects is a box for my sister. She has been there for me all these years. Most of the lumber that I used were leftover stock that I had accumulated over time. Sides are made out of birds eye maple. The boards were not wide enough and were really twisted. I gave it a good workout with the scrub plane then biscuit joined. The front and back are made of bubinga. The top is of Honduran mahogany given to me by my neighbor. It had a crack on it so I hand cut a dovetail patch. Base of the box is of Brazilian cherry. The slot at the bottom of the drawer were started with a router but my only bit broke late at night so I finished cutting the last side with a Stanley router (see picture). The drawer pulls I turned using ebony. Boards were cut to dimension using a table saw but most of everything else was done by hand.

I am not much of a writer (some people would say not much of a carpenter – ha ha) so I hope the picture tells a better story. Constructive critism/comments appreciated.

NewLou
2nd May 2006, 09:37 AM
Welcome to the Forum:)

VEry nice work indeed Keep them posts coming is always great to learn from each other!

REgards Lou:D

Zed
2nd May 2006, 09:48 AM
ahhh,.... shucks!!!

nothing wrong with that box mate.

Wongo
2nd May 2006, 09:56 AM
Welcome DDeen, I like the dufftales mate. Very clean.

Well done.:)

Wardy
2nd May 2006, 04:08 PM
Welcome ddean very good work indeed, nice contrasts with the timbers used,lucky sister

Cheers Wardy

DPB
2nd May 2006, 04:41 PM
Welcome Dean, nice choice of timber. The contrast works very well. Nice design also. What is the intended use of the box if any? What jig did you use with your router to cut the dovetails? What finish is applied?

My only suggestions is that you mill down your timber (boards) to a thinner dimension. From your pictures, it looks like 19mm (3/4"). Something less than 15mm (9/16") would greatly enhance an already very elegant box.

Well done - look forward to more of your contributions to this forum. :)

Auld Bassoon
2nd May 2006, 08:32 PM
Hi DDeen,

I cannot comment on your carpentry skills, but your box making & joinery skills seem fine to me!

I rather like the little bow tie "birthmark" on the box's lid.

Good stuff, and welcome here!

PS I couldn't help but notice what fine taste you have in bevel edge chisels and dovetail saw :)

MajorPanic
2nd May 2006, 09:18 PM
Bloody hell DDeen!!!

What a cracker of a first picture post! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Your sister will, I'm sure, really appreciate the fantastic job you have done.

Oh, by the way WELCOME!

Driver
2nd May 2006, 10:08 PM
First of all, welcome to the forums, ddeen!

Second: congratulations. Great work on the box. Your woodworking skills are right up there. The box looks great, it's well-made and the design is interesting and different. Your sister will be very happy with it, I'm sure.

Finally, develop a thick skin, mate! You've already noticed the down to earth aspect of this forum's membership. If you want to survive here, you'll need to understand that what counts as rudeness and bad manners elsewhere, in Australia is generally a compliment, kindly meant. (That's not always true, by the way, but you'll have to work out the difference for yourself, there is no operating manual for Aussies).

ddeen
4th May 2006, 04:34 AM
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome.

DPB
What is the intended use of the box if any? Not really sure.. Box was made without any input from the future owner. I did confirm that she is very happy with it.

What jig did you use with your router to cut the dovetails?
All hand cut.. Quick to cut but it took forever to fit.

What finish is applied?
I used 'tried and true' brand varnish oil. I work out of a garage with a lot of dust. I find that this finish has a nice shine and not sensitive to dust. The down side is that it is slow to dry.

zenwood
5th May 2006, 04:20 PM
Love the box, ddeen. Those big bold dovetails are very striking and impressive, with a clear and crisp hand-cut look. Only thing I slightly wonder about is that base moulding. To me it looks a bit too big for the box, and seems to be a different colour to the two other timbers, which detracts from the box's overall unity.

Any hints on cutting a groove with a #71? I usually only cut dadoes with a #71.

Your style of work seems similar to mine: big cuts on the tablesaw, and then lots of hand-work. Good isn't it? :)

Beaver
6th May 2006, 11:35 PM
Ddeen

Nice job on the box mate. HAnd cut dovetails are a treat.

Welcome to the forum fellow newbie.

Beaver

TTIT
7th May 2006, 12:29 AM
Very nice work ddeen and welcome to the forum. Have to agree with Don - boards could be a bit thinner but the dovetails look good at that thickness anyway.

DPB
7th May 2006, 12:56 AM
DPB
What is the intended use of the box if any? Not really sure.. Box was made without any input from the future owner. I did confirm that she is very happy with it.

What jig did you use with your router to cut the dovetails?
All hand cut.. Quick to cut but it took forever to fit.

What finish is applied?
I used 'tried and true' brand varnish oil. I work out of a garage with a lot of dust. I find that this finish has a nice shine and not sensitive to dust. The down side is that it is slow to dry.
ddeen, now I'm really impressed; those dovetails look just too perfect to be handmade. Well done.

As for the box needing a use - forget it! It stands on its own as a piece of art and a tribute to your craftsmanship.

Keep showing us your work.:)

ddeen
7th May 2006, 05:39 AM
Love the box, ddeen. Those big bold dovetails are very striking and impressive, with a clear and crisp hand-cut look. Only thing I slightly wonder about is that base moulding. To me it looks a bit too big for the box, and seems to be a different colour to the two other timbers, which detracts from the box's overall unity.

Any hints on cutting a groove with a #71? I usually only cut dadoes with a #71.

Your style of work seems similar to mine: big cuts on the tablesaw, and then lots of hand-work. Good isn't it?

Zenwood, thank you for the comments.

When complete the box was not a perfect square. It made building the base moulding very hard. If I had to do it over again I would probably do without a base.. On the positive side, Brazillian cherry I have discovered becomes darker red with time.

I first used a scribe to gouge a parrellel grove. I then used a 1/4 inch chisel to remove as much waste as I could between the grove. Third step was to flatten the grove with the #71.5. I am sure there are better ways of doing the same job (without having to buy a plow plane). My way of doing it took way to much time and the results were not that impressive. This experience has caused me to search for another way. I have since built a strair saw form the leftover birds eye maple - may be a subject of a upcoming post. It is a tool that is beatiful to look at and hold. I have not tried it yet but I think cutting the groves with the stair saw might be easier and cleaner than using the scribe.

Your absolutely right about working with hand tools - its great! :)