PDA

View Full Version : JET JWP-16OS Thicknesser? Carbatec?

mobrien
3rd May 2006, 10:31 AM
Hi everyone,

I've spent the last few days researching thicknessers and reading everything I can about them on here and various supplier websites. Every time I think I have decided, I find other info!

I own a chainsaw mill, and want to start using some of my 2 year old timber. So obviously I need a thicknesser. My budget is $1500 - $2000, and while I'd love a 20", I think I'll be looking at a 15".

The four real options I have:

1. JET*JWP-16OS - http://www.gregmach.com/new_machinery/thicknessers/jet_jwp_16os.htm

2. <!-- #BeginEditable "EditRegion1" --> JET*JWP 15CSW -
http://www.gregmach.com/new_machinery/thicknessers/jet_jwp15csw.htm

3. Carbatec CTJ-381 -
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_410_2650

4. Carbatec CTJ-508 1PH
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_410_2660

I'm hoping to see these at the woodworking show and maybe get a nice show discount, but I'm specifically after info on the Jet JWP-160S - I have read posts here on all the rest, but was wondering if anyone has feedback on this specific model?

Thanks!

Matt

Wongo
3rd May 2006, 10:43 AM
I have the JET*JWP 15CSW. It is a great machine and it is JET.

I don’t like the one that has the motor mounted on top. With rollers on top you can move heavy stock back to the in-feed area a bit easier.

knucklehead
3rd May 2006, 12:37 PM
Give Gary Pye a call and squeese him for a show price for the 15 inch.
His standard price is $200 less than the link you have.
http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107133410&product_id=1107374667

Lignum
3rd May 2006, 01:05 PM
the latest AWR #50 had a rundown on 15" thickness planers and the Carb ctj-381 and Jet JPW-15CS were reviewed and the Jet was the prefered machine but is $700 more expensive than the Carb:)

chrisp
3rd May 2006, 01:08 PM
I don’t like the one that has the motor mounted on top. With rollers on top you can move heavy stock back to the in-feed area a bit easier.

I had a bit of trouble deciding between a "motor over" or "motor under" models. In the end I went for the "motor over" model. The advantage of the "motor over" is that the outfeed support doesn't have to be adjusted when changing the thickness. I've actually setup a outfeed bench for my thicknesser that supports the timber as it leave the thicknesser. I haven't worried about an infeed support - I usually support the timber by hand in the infeed side.

Chris

mobrien
3rd May 2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Please keep them coming!

Chrisp - what type of thicknesser do you have that is the overhead type?

knucklehead - thanks for the heads up - didn't even know they exist!

M

chrisp
3rd May 2006, 02:35 PM
Mobrien,

I have the Carba-Tec CTJ-680.

Chris

Fossil
4th May 2006, 01:06 PM
I know hwere there is an almost, and as good as new JET machine which is available for $1100.00. It has been on the showroom floor for quite a while now, so the vendor may go cheaper...... mabey even enough to cover freight from Sydney to you. PM me if you want the name of the dealer.

Caliban
4th May 2006, 04:37 PM
Mate
I know it wasn't me who you made the offer to, but hey, I'd love to contact your dealer (friend) about the jet thicknesser he has. to find out how much etc.

Wongo
4th May 2006, 04:47 PM
Good on you Jimbo. You deserve a JET and you know it.:cool:

mobrien
4th May 2006, 06:37 PM
I rang the SYD place with the $1100 Jet about an hour ago, its gone - and has been for a few weeks. Doh!

They have the Jet clone (like the hafco I guess) for around $1295 - he was keen to try and sell one of those.

I guess I'll just keep looking!

Matt

mobrien
4th May 2006, 06:43 PM
And to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, the carbatec 20" is on special for $300 off - $2095

Hmmm whats an extra 5" worth :D

M

Auld Bassoon
4th May 2006, 07:36 PM
Nice - but does that mean that the jointer has to go up a notch or two as well?

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading from my piddly little 12 1/2" Sherwood to a 15" thicknesser, and think that a motor under is the better way to go. It's not so much the slightly larger width, but rather the better stability & control. Even with a shop-made in- and out-feed base (20mm thick particle board with a melamine surface, and 900mm long), the noisy little orange bugger gives me the sheeeiiiitttteeeesss :)

Caliban
4th May 2006, 10:03 PM
Mate as I understand it, the 20" ones have an extra knife in the cutter head
(4) this would /should give a smoother finish.

Fossil
5th May 2006, 11:38 AM
Bad luck on the Jet guys... :(

FWIW, I would like a jet 20" as well (mostly for the weight factor). Yes it does have 4 knives, which is not important really, as the 3 knives on the 15" machines do a very good job of it all, and I do not consider thicknessers to be a finishing machine.

I have had my taiwanese 15" machine for ages now, and it does the job in a small factory environment. I paid $1500 for it, and it is not quite as good as the Carbatech ones look to me.

The carbatech machine with the motor under, is the buy of the moment. You will need to get yourself a good set of 18% tungsten knives though. The best ones you can get IMO are from Pauly, who I am told now lives in Qld, after shutting down the business at Rydalmeyre. If he is still doing them, as I was told, someone here may be able to put you in contact with him.

Good luck.

sinjin1111
5th May 2006, 12:33 PM
I had the chance top buy the 20" at the right price. 4 blade head and larger dia. cutter block. At the time it was the only machine also that could take 8" under the table. Its is a seriously heavy machine about 480kg. I'm more than happy with it.
Sinjin
PS can seen one very recently at CT for $1995