PDA

View Full Version : Wood Chips

rond
3rd May 2006, 10:34 AM
:o
Can the contents of my 'Dust extractor be used with lawn clippings as mulch on my garden areas as I am loathe to dump it in the 'wheelie bin' for land fill?:rolleyes:

I think that this type of thread has been posted previously.
:) Please help!:)

Robert34
4th May 2006, 12:01 AM
:o
Can the contents of my 'Dust extractor be used with lawn clippings as mulch on my garden areas as I am loathe to dump it in the 'wheelie bin' for land fill?:rolleyes:

I think that this type of thread has been posted previously.
:) Please help!:)

Rond

Have a look at this link.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=31209&highlight=compost

Robert34

johnc
4th May 2006, 10:52 PM
Rond,

I often just put shavings etc directly on the ground wet it and fork it in with a garden fork and let it rot. Alternatively some end up in the compost bin but I have trouble with the dust compacting a bit so tend to limit that to plane shavings. Our ground is poor and the wood dust seems to have helped soil quality no end.

John.

rond
8th May 2006, 09:42 AM
:) Thanks John
I will try your suggestion but using the garden fork seems a bit like hard work which is something like to avoid.

:rolleyes: [I am the only hero in my own lunch box]:rolleyes:

elphingirl
8th May 2006, 01:03 PM
The only concern that occurs to me is whether you will ssignificantly alter the pH of the soil, or cause a nitrogen drawdown. (lawn clippings alone are not great either. The wood fibres should improve the physical structure of the soil, but might affect the chemical composition, making it uncomfortable for some plants.
Cheers
Justine

DavidG
8th May 2006, 07:07 PM
Add a good handful of nitrogen fertiliser to each dust bag. (Sulfate of ammonia etc)
When it starts to break down add some lawn fertiliser (a Complete fertiliser with a higher nitrogen ratio).

Have not killed the plants yet but I am working on it.

rond
9th May 2006, 09:16 AM
:) Thanks for the ecouragement I will try to set up in my yard [however so small] an area for 'compost making using your suggettons.:)

Josie
9th May 2006, 05:21 PM
Composting is definately the way to go. If you add organic material to your soil before it is broken down it doesn't provide much immediate benefit. If you take the time to compost you get great soil and less rubbish (vege scraps and kitchen waste make great compost too). Adding chicken manure to your compost helps the process to get started.
Josie

Feralbilly
9th May 2006, 06:24 PM
Hey, put the vegie scraps and kitchen waste in your worm farm anf get the double benfit if a liquid fertilizer and the worm castings for bag of which people pay money.

Billy

Pat
9th May 2006, 09:19 PM
I have been using the shavings from my planes (both hand and electric) around native plants, great for mulch and they do break down into the soil. Now MBGitW wants more for her plants, so everyone wins!:cool: