PDA

View Full Version : Symetric Saw- does exactly as it says on the tin.

patr
3rd May 2006, 07:52 PM
Hi all,
I thought the Symetric was sold in Oz but clearly not. So to stop clogging up the Domino thread I thought I would start a new thread and put page 2 of the Symetric Saw from the Bible (Festool catalogue) to give a better idea of what it can do. I would be happy to expand on any points but a word of caution, I am still experimenting with it and am not in anyway an expert reviewer. What I can tell you is that the dust extraction is superb, the blade leaves a cut that a well honed plane would be proud of and that the few cuts I have made are so precise that I feel like jumping on a jet plane to Deutschland uber Alles to kiss Herr Festool for allowing a numpty like me to cut like a professional. New slogan, "Festool - Tools to make even an Irishman look good!" On second thoughts, as the political police probably read everything, maybe " Festool-absolutely Whizzo" would be a tad more appropriate. Did think of "Festool-Fing Wonderful" but the Memsahib is getting closer by the day to opening the Forum and she has never heard rude words.

Kind regards
Pat

Simou! A small Bushmills methinks as I have cracked how to cut a mitre. Couldn't spell it yesterday. No ice.

riri
3rd May 2006, 08:25 PM
Good initiative Patr. It gives me an occasion to reapeat that with a suitable blade it does wonders on aluminium beadings. Friend in the US told me that they could not import the tool for safety reasons!!! Can't see which flaw they are referring to?

riri

patr
3rd May 2006, 08:52 PM
Ozwinner
Sorry about the size of the file. I will try and reduce it. Mea Culpa.

Riri
Possibly because litigation in the US is so strong and there is not a surface big enough on the saw to put this label on:

Caution. This saw can be evil as it has a very sharp blade. If (inadvertantly) you dismantle the excellent and superbly designed saw guard which we have spent ages on RandD and stick one of your fingers under the revolving saw blade you will experience severe pain and digit removal. If you do, pick up the digit and re-assemble with the appropriate adhesive. You will not notice the join.

Or perhaps a letter along the lines of:

Dear Herr Festool
I love the Symetric saw but I am told it cannot be sold to our Coalition Partners in the Land of the Free because of safety issues. Are you saying that Europeans are not entitled to the same level of safety as Chuck and his mates? We demand an answer. Please explain and send your reply written on a Voucher for a free Rotex.

That should do the trick.

Regards
Pat

Simou! Do not swallow that finger I have just cut off with my Symetric saw as Mummy is going to glue it back on.

jonga
3rd May 2006, 10:40 PM
Patr,

The symetric saw is sold in OZ, just don't think that many have bought it and hence few dealers stock it. But at $1200 I think it isn't unreasonably priced (something many here OZ have complained about with Festool, but that hasn't stopped me buying my fair share of late)

cheers,

sjoerd

patr
3rd May 2006, 11:48 PM
Well done Sjoerd, another misguided fanatic!

It is indeed a smashing tool and the price has put off most dealers here in Blighty from stocking it. I saw it in Deutschland uber Alles on one of my many trips to that country (which I love) and was stunned at just how good it was. German Festool dealers really know their product, have a pride in the quality and purpose of the tools, and really want to demonstrate how good they are. Sadly this is not replicated here in the UK.

Regards
Pat

Simou! I said Remy Martin not Courvoisier. Now take it away.